Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-24-2018, 11:45 AM   #361
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I just tried the fried chicken from Country Pizza near the new T&T. It turned out to be really good, I might put it a notch above Fritou's and the spicy chicken had better heat to it. I think its prepared pretty similarly to how Fritou does it.
Yeah, we've tried the broaster fried chicken from Country Pizza. Country Pizza is a hole in the wall kind of place. We noticed it because we have eaten at the pho restaurant beside it. My thoughts on their fried chicken:

Pros - larger pieces than what you typically get at KFC/Popeyes and probably on par with Mary Brown's, really crispy and juicy chicken

Cons - pretty bland seasoning for both the mild and spicy variety, 20 or 30 minute wait time to get your chicken, fries and other sides are meh, not inexpensive

It's pretty ok fried chicken but we've never been back given all the other choices in the area.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #362
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh my god don't get the butterfly shrimp. My friend and I had it last night and we're both deathly ill this morning. I totally knew it too. It was gross. They've really hit the skids since they got hammered with property taxes. I'm going to blame Nenshi 40%, Forest Lawn 9% and Popeye's 51%. Letters will be distributed accordingly.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #363
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had Popeyes for lunch yesterday. Delicious.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #364
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Had it (Popeye's) for the first time on Sunday... way way way way way way better then KFC. The corn on the cob was pretty bland but the chicken, mashed potatoes, and gravy were delish.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #365
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just heard on the radio about this new place Jollibee. Anybody familiar with it? Sounds like it has a strong contingent of followers in the Filipino community but this is the first time I have ever heard of this.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #366
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just heard on the radio about this new place Jollibee. Anybody familiar with it? Sounds like it has a strong contingent of followers in the Filipino community but this is the first time I have ever heard of this.
Huge chain in the Philippines from what I understand. They've recently started expanding around the world, with their first Canadian stores opening last year.

Calgary has a pretty big Filipino population, so it should do well, but their menu doesn't really seem all that appealing to me.

http://jollibeecanada.com/menu/
Old 09-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #367
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Huge chain in the Philippines from what I understand. They've recently started expanding around the world, with their first Canadian stores opening last year.

Calgary has a pretty big Filipino population, so it should do well, but their menu doesn't really seem all that appealing to me.

Oh. I read the reviews from one that opened in the states, and it sounded like the regular fried chicken is under seasoned, although the pictures of it look pretty good. I would probably go and give it a shot, but expectations are a bit dampened.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #368
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Their spaghetti looks so unappealing.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #369
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #370
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Their spaghetti looks so unappealing.
Filipino spaghetti is typically like that. My in-laws are Filipino and make it at many family gatherings. It's insanely sweet and the noodles are typically over cooked. It's pretty gross.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #371
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes me miss Bourdain
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #372
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Filipino spaghetti is typically like that. My in-laws are Filipino and make it at many family gatherings. It's insanely sweet and the noodles are typically over cooked. It's pretty gross.
As a mixed race Filipino myself, I'll be the first to say that a lot of Filipino food is overrated. There's some tasty dishes for sure like Lechon, Pansit, Siopao and Lumpia. But a lot of the food is overloaded with salt and the flavors just don't compliment each other that well. My mom is constantly making sweet Filipino desserts and dishes for the family and I've never liked them even as a kid.

However the meat dishes are always pretty good. But some of the stuff that gets eaten is just strange. However Filipinos have a huge connection to their food and are proud of it. My uncle was at Jolibee's today for the opening and he sent me a video showing the lineup out the door. With the big Filipino population in Calgary, that place is going to do extremely well.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #373
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
As a mixed race Filipino myself, I'll be the first to say that a lot of Filipino food is overrated. There's some tasty dishes for sure like Lechon, Pansit, Siopao and Lumpia. But a lot of the food is overloaded with salt and the flavors just don't compliment each other that well. My mom is constantly making sweet Filipino desserts and dishes for the family and I've never liked them even as a kid.

However the meat dishes are always pretty good. But some of the stuff that gets eaten is just strange. However Filipinos have a huge connection to their food and are proud of it. My uncle was at Jolibee's today for the opening and he sent me a video showing the lineup out the door. With the big Filipino population in Calgary, that place is going to do extremely well.
I was interested to read recently in Canadian Geographic, that Filipino (Tagalog) is the second most spoken language in Calgary after English.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3641721/c...ada-languages/

Last edited by troutman; 09-20-2019 at 03:31 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #374
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

You're right. Most Filipino food is horrific. Like the only flavours seem to ever be salt, sugar and rotten fish. All the stews seem to be just boiled meat with random veggies, served with rice. The deserts are all the same idea as well. Gummy texture and way too much sugar. All tasting like coconut or purple sweet potato.

Chicken adobo is pretty damn good though.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #375
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

An important thing to note for anybody going to Jollibee, in Canada they only serve dark meat. In the US and the Philippines they have white and dark meat. So if you don't really care for dark meat, you will be disappointed.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:07 PM   #376
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
An important thing to note for anybody going to Jollibee, in Canada they only serve dark meat. In the US and the Philippines they have white and dark meat. So if you don't really care for dark meat, you will be disappointed.
That's strange. Why?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #377
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Why would anyone eat anything other than dark meat?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #378
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That's strange. Why?
Most Filipinos that I know prefer dark. We were at a Jollibee in the Philippines once, and my wife's uncle got a piece of white meat. I offered to trade, and he said no at first. He didn't want me as the guest to suffer with the "lesser" piece.

The locations in the States have chicken fingers, so I'm covered when we go there. Just strange marketing here. The fingers are easy as they are cooked to order in 5 minutes. I know lots of people in Winnipeg who would go to Jollibee more if they served white meat. Sure the new locations are busy, but once the novelty wears off- I would think they'd want to cater to the other 50% who prefer white meat. Just charge more like everybody else does.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:04 PM   #379
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Why would anyone eat anything other than dark meat?
Because they are not savages.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #380
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Savagely enjoying the tastier part of the bird
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: