Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #21
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Why don't they just finish the original? So pissed at how it got canceled without a proper ending.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #22
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I used to watch the hell out of this show with my nephew. I remember some one eyed toaster thing as my favorite character.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #23
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

When I was in my early teens, I hated Mainframe with a passion (Reboot, Beasties, etc.) and I still do.

It's the ugliest, most uninspired, and most unappealing art aesthetic I have ever seen. Man, does that art style piss me off and it's been more than a decade since I've seen it.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #24
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

FONG had better be back! Haha.

Best TV news I've heard in a long time. Talk about nostalgia. I was obsessed with it as a kid.

Kids shows these days are terrible, incoherent and sometimes borderline violent (was very surprised watching when I was babysitting). This will be great for new generations.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #25
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
When I was in my early teens, I hated Mainframe with a passion (Reboot, Beasties, etc.) and I still do.

It's the ugliest, most uninspired, and most unappealing art aesthetic I have ever seen. Man, does that art style piss me off and it's been more than a decade since I've seen it.
What crawled up inside your exoskeleton suit?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #26
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I never understood what this show was about when I was a kid but I think Ill give it another go as an adult
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #27
King Hippo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
FONG had better be back! Haha.

Best TV news I've heard in a long time. Talk about nostalgia. I was obsessed with it as a kid.

Kids shows these days are terrible, incoherent and sometimes borderline violent (was very surprised watching when I was babysitting). This will be great for new generations.
Fong was awesome!

They just needed to give him some martial arts skills and the Asian stereotype would be complete
King Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #28
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

Both shows took some getting into, but both were extremely well written (for kids shows) and entertaining. IMO, they did a lot with the technology they had to work with at the time.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #29
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

how are they going to do this reboot reboot without it feeling horribly dated? instead of the Mainframe, are they gonna live in the Cloud? will they do battle on a weekly basis with Terabyte, or better yet, Petabyte? when there's an incoming game, will they even go up against users or will they just sit on the sidelines totally ignored while the users battle each other en masse?

unless the whole idea is to sell it to the nostalgic 30 year old and up crowd. if that's the case, they should do a retro version for baby boomers where the entire show is done as command line text.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #30
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

There were people that didn't like Reboot?

Actually? I guess as a kid that was an inconceivable notion.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #31
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
What crawled up inside your exoskeleton suit?
His soul died in 1988.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #32
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I only remember vague details from the original show. Also enjoyed watching it on YTV though, haha.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #33
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I logged into my Netflix account last night, and I guess my brother had recently watched Beast Wars. I couldn't help myself from not watching an episode. So awesome. I loved that show as a kid, and it is still great.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #34
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Both shows took some getting into, but both were extremely well written (for kids shows) and entertaining. IMO, they did a lot with the technology they had to work with at the time.
Beast Wars definitely had some talented writers. I was a fan of Larry DiTillo who wrote for He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Captain Power, and Babylon 5 which were some of my favorite things in the world as a kid. Both him and Michael J. Straczynski started off doing things like writing for the Real Ghostbusters, Captain Power, etc.

CG has been around since the early 80s and has taken on many forms. It doesn't have to look that way. They choose for it to look that way because those were the kinds of artists that Mainframe employed and that was the art design they choose to go after.

Deep down, it's because I hate the American animation style when applied to CG. I seriously despise every Pixar movie, etc. If there's something that grinds my gears, it's those abominations. I'm however a fan of the classic American animation like Warner Brothers' Looney Tunes, etc.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #35
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codes View Post
I logged into my Netflix account last night, and I guess my brother had recently watched Beast Wars. I couldn't help myself from not watching an episode. So awesome. I loved that show as a kid, and it is still great.
Oh god, it really is like it's 1998 again and I've just discovered the internet as a teenager and I'm fighting to hold back posting on newsgroups about how much I hate that show. I totally get why kids are the same way these days with whatever fad they are into or whatever they are fan boys of. For me, the mid-late 90s was a television wasteland growing up and I spent most of my time and effort to find and watch old cartoons and television shows from the 50s-80s which wasn't easy in the pre-Internet days. I remember when one station (was it YTV or RDTV?) started airing re-runs of Family Ties in the mid 90s and I just about creamed my pants in Junior High because I had been dying to watch that for years because I only had fragments of it from the 80s on VHS.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-09-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #36
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Green lighted for 26 episodes:
http://corusent.com/home/Corporate/P...t.aspx?Id=3007

However, the live-action mixed in with the CGI gives me pause as to how much will change.

Official name is Reboot: The Guardian Code.

sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2015, 07:24 AM   #37
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The plot synopsis sounds a little...bad

Quote:
ReBoot: the Guardian Code is an adventure-comedy series about four teens (Austin, Parker, Grey and Tamra) who discover that they’re next-gen Guardians with a mission to save the world, by defending it in cyberspace. The Internet revolutionized the world, but it also left it vulnerable to attack. With the help of VERA, the last surviving cyberbeing from the original Guardian Program, our heroes stream into cyberspace where they use their awesome code-based powers to battle viruses that have been unleashed by a ruthless hacker. Known only as the Sourcerer, he seeks to rule the world by controlling cyberspace. Original fans of the show will be happy to hear that Megabyte will be back and he’s getting a major upgrade. ReBoot will showcase leading edge technologies and bring coding into the mainstream for kids.

When Austin, Parker, Grey and Tamra are not trying to stop viruses from overloading a nuclear power station, or remotely opening a dam to flood a city, or playing Criss Cross Crash Hour with a city’s transportation grid, our heroes are being typical teens: arguing with their parents over curfews; dealing with crushes; or trying to avoid getting suspended for skipping class when they’re really on a cyber mission to save the world!
Basically it's a totally new concept/show with very little connection to the original. But it makes sense that they're at least addressing that the world of technology has changed. But yeah -- I imagine the stuff in the 'real world' will be all live action and when they go into the computers it will be CG. Will likely be cheesy, but it's a kids show.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #38
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be pretty shocked if they're not just holding their cards to their chest regarding ties to the original series. Likely expect an Enzo appearance at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:24 PM   #39
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

n/m Should have finished reading OOTC's quoted stuff.
PowerPlayoffs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #40
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

It has been out on US Netflix for a week now. Understandably the reviews have been very bad.

sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote