Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | RealtorŪ & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
flamingchina
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Home Insurance after the flood recommendations

Need some Home insurance, which companies actually responded well after the flood?
Old 07-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I can tell you TD Meloche Monnex will drop you for having them look at your place too many times, even if you don't make a claim. I'm now on the hunt. Ugh.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
'look at your place too many times' What does that mean?
One of the hail storms caused a bunch of grit to come down my downspouts off my nearly brand new roof and a couple chunks of stucco came off the side of my house. I figure, I'll call insurance, make sure everything is good, after all that's what I have it for. The came out, said the roof was fine and the stucco wouldn't be covered. So I say, ok, no problem.

For Meloche Monnex that counts as an "occurrence". And 3 losses or "occurrences" in 3 years, and they won't renew you. So one claim for my famous break-ins, one claim from the hail last year, one visit from the other monster hail storm, and I'm toast.

Basically save up all your damage and wait until your house is so trashed that it's worth claiming the next time a big storm rolls though. Oh wait. That's fraud. You get dropped for that too.

Just saw this on another forum, sounds like a phone call alone can screw you: "The workaround here is to talk to customer service and establish whether something is covered before talking to the claims department. They confessed to me that as soon as you talk to claims it's on your record and counts, even if they don't actually come out or pay anything."

Last edited by Bill Bumface; 07-19-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Based on my street and the flood, I can tell you the following:

Co-operators were the best by a mile. Friendly, caring, and helped actually arrange some DR equipment for their clients. Approved immediately.

AMA and RBC had issues, but caved to pressure fairly quickly.

Then there is TD Meloche Monnex a long long long way back. They told my wife not to bother filing a claim on the day of the flood becuase "We are calling it act of God, your policy is not covered". Over the phone, no adjuster. Then they backtracked and sent an adjuster after we pleaded it was sewer not flood.

Then came the 4 adjusters I was assigned. Two came to my house and both tried to prove it was flood, they couldn't. So they sent me to a third adjuster, and luckily this guy was an employee of TDI and he got upset on the phone when he heard what management was trying to do to me.

We are now almost a month later, TD went to the papers saying they will cover all SBU, but I haven't got any confirmation yet. I could still in theory be rejected. Who knows?

To top this all off, they sent us a renewal dated the day before the flood, but that we only received last week. In it they reduced our SBU amount 85%, and increased deductible $500. Sneaky in a totally pathetic way.

I am telling you right now, get a broker and find the best one for your situation. All of the TDI clients I know are taking a hard look at right now. Let's leave it at that.

Last edited by OldDutch; 07-19-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I am telling you right now, get a broker and find the best one for your situation. .

The only thing I will add to this is make sure the broker is an independent. Some brokers are owned by larger entities, ie: Broker Link are owned by Intact Insurance. Who do you think they will place you with.....?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Agreed, sorry that should have been clear.

I was just told that Intact has been jerks and denied to people a few blocks over. So I am editing my post.

My point in TD sucking and getting an indepentant broker still stand.

Tags
home insurance , insurance