Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #8881
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-02-2020, 09:43 PM   #8882
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlame View Post
Surely the polls won't be wrong this time!

The eye-test shows all of the enthusiasm and momentum on Trumps side. Car parades miles and miles long. Floatillas of thousands of boats. Tens of thousands of people showing up at the more than a dozen Trump rallies in the last week. 58,000 in Pennsylvania alone.

There's an awful lot of chicken counting in this thread, but all I see are eggs.

The polls weren't wrong last time. They were within in the margin of error, and got the popular vote correct.

Polls aren't a prediction. If I'm not mistaken Trump had a 30% chance last time out, and they realized Hilary was in trouble a couple days out. Trump having a 10 percent chance means he can win one in every 10 times, so it's nowhere near an impossible task.

The republican party trying to suppress votes goes is not what a confident party does. Clearly they are concerned.

Also Biden didn't attempt to have a single rally. It's not that people wouldn't go, it's that they didn't plan any because they aren't garbage people.

Last edited by AFireInside; 11-02-2020 at 09:46 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #8883
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I love Nate Silver

Essentially the same headline he wrote for the last election. Trump can win this election without shenanigans.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...can-still-win/

A slightly larger than average correlated polling error and trump is in the White house
Still he gives it a 10% chance...he gave Trump 30% last time

Want to make some money? Bet on Biden, you will NEVER get better odds on something that is 90% likely to happen
Old 11-02-2020, 09:49 PM   #8884
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Sixth youngest senator in American history, served as senator for something like 36 years, foreign relations committee, senate judiciary committee, plus a laundry list of other roles and achievement within congress, obviously vice president for 8 years, destroyed the competitions within the primaries, leading in battleground states, polling at like 90% odds to win the presidency BUT HE'S A WEAK CANDIDATE!!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 09:51 PM   #8885
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Surely the polls won't be wrong this time!

The eye-test shows all of the enthusiasm and momentum on Trumps side. Car parades miles and miles long. Floatillas of thousands of boats. Tens of thousands of people showing up at the more than a dozen Trump rallies in the last week. 58,000 in Pennsylvania alone.

There's an awful lot of chicken counting in this thread, but all I see are eggs.
This can't be a serious take...sorry but rallies are the stupidest thing ever to put stock in

One side is denying there is a pandemic
One side isn't having large gatherings because there is a pandemic

And if the polls are wrong within the same margins as last time Biden still wins

Record turnout+non existent 3rd party candidates. Do people really think Trump has gained that many supporters? He may get around the same

the writing is on the wall
Old 11-02-2020, 09:53 PM   #8886
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache
Millions of people didn’t show up for those same rallies but the news didn’t put them on tv
True, but by that metric there are even more millions of people not showing up for Biden.

I get that Biden isn't holding massive rallies like Trump does, but parades and flotillas are socially-distant shows of support and they are virtually non-existent for Dems.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:53 PM   #8887
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Sixth youngest senator in American history, served as senator for something like 36 years, foreign relations committee, senate judiciary committee, plus a laundry list of other roles and achievement within congress, obviously vice president for 8 years, destroyed the competitions within the primaries, leading in battleground states, polling at like 90% odds to win the presidency BUT HE'S A WEAK CANDIDATE!!
Won two general elections as VP and destroyed all the other candidates in a primary ELECTION

I get he isn't everyone's first pick but people showed up to vote for him...isn't that the point? He will likely get the most votes in history tomorrow
Old 11-02-2020, 09:54 PM   #8888
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
True, but by that metric there are even more millions of people not showing up for Biden.

I get that Biden isn't holding massive rallies like Trump does, but parades and flotillas are socially-distant shows of support and they are virtually non-existent for Dems.
Are you suggesting Trump will get more votes than Biden? Dems have been voting in record numbers all week
Old 11-02-2020, 09:58 PM   #8889
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Are you suggesting Trump will get more votes than Biden? Dems have been voting in record numbers all week
I'm suggesting its not impossible, and that people should be more skeptical of polls when the eye-test appears to show a vastly different outcome.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:58 PM   #8890
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
There’s a little town that has the 1st posted results just after midnight,yes?
They get to vote at midnight, not sure how quickly the results are posted.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1323464032154578944
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 09:59 PM   #8891
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm suggesting its not impossible, and that people should be more skeptical of polls when the eye-test appears to show a vastly different outcome.
There is ZERO chance Trump gets more votes than Biden
Old 11-02-2020, 10:00 PM   #8892
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Definitely not impossible, but I think I heard that the Dems have won the popular vote in something like 6 out of the last 7 elections. There's a reason the GOP like the electoral college.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:01 PM   #8893
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
There is ZERO chance Trump gets more votes than Biden
You should keep posting that page after page in this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #8894
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just remember when tomorrow at 3am and Trump has a small lead in Pennsylvania that he is actually likely behind by 5 points or so. The mail in ballot could be 66% democrat and the Election Day 66% Republican.

So what you might be observing is that republicans are getting excited to vote whereas democrats have already voted due to fear of issues with mail in ballots. If you don’t see huge trump support on Election Day that dwarfs Democrat support he’s screwed.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:20 PM   #8895
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is an “eye test” when it comes to elections?
This ain’t hockey. There is no eye test
There is just data
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 10:21 PM   #8896
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
There’s a little town that has the 1st posted results just after midnight,yes?
Dixville Notch NH results are in

Unanimous 5-0 for Biden

The landslide begins!
The Following User Says Thank You to Plett25 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 10:21 PM   #8897
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Hang on. Dinoc7, I’m just trying to understand your position. You think Biden will win?
Old 11-02-2020, 10:21 PM   #8898
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG
Just remember when tomorrow at 3am and Trump has a small lead in Pennsylvania that he is actually likely behind by 5 points or so. The mail in ballot could be 66% democrat and the Election Day 66% Republican.

So what you might be observing is that republicans are getting excited to vote whereas democrats have already voted due to fear of issues with mail in ballots. If you don’t see huge trump support on Election Day that dwarfs Democrat support he’s screwed.

I think that's a solid assumption.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:23 PM   #8899
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

A little late to the conversation but I have an acquaintance on Facebook who went off the deep end in the qanon stuff. Lizard people, clones, aliens, trumps gonna save us, the whole nine yards. I find him fun to read. I don’t believe in any of it, but I do get a kick out of reading it.

However I have a friend who seems to be so left wing it’s tough to read. Does stuff like quits his job so he can find a higher paying one (in a recession) but doesn’t have one lined up then is all over Jason Kennedys Facebook page about how he’s been out of work for a year. Just want to slap him. You had a good job and quit! It’s your fault!

Funny how all that works. I keep them both around.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:28 PM   #8900
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
You should keep posting that page after page in this thread.
if people are stupid enough keep debating it I will