Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-26-2020, 02:03 PM   #41
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
For these I highly, highly recommend that beginners and intermediate players record yourself playing some riffs or chord progressions/songs on your phone and then listen back. It's really eye opening in a bad way, lol.

But it makes you think harder about timing, rhythm and missed/extra notes. It's a hundred times harder to play things in time than out of it and arguably the most important skill to acquire early on.

Yes. For electric, John Petrucci also recommends practicing in the bathroom (or similar small tiled room) without an amp as that will truly allow you to dissect you playing. The amp, delay, etc can cover a bunch of stuff up.

For your recording idea...I will use an iRig and the amplitude app. It will allow you play with a song but only record you so you can listen back and really see how the band is saving you!

I’m not much removed from beginner really (lack of practice time and old dog new tricks) and I’ve started to do this a lot. Working on Rats and Square Hammer (Ghost) and did a play through that sounded awesome to me over top of the song...listened back and not so much. It wasn’t awful...notes were correct and rhythms by and large correct but it wasn’t smooth. That allowed me to concentrate on keeping everything more connected etc...

Last edited by ernie; 03-26-2020 at 02:08 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 02:13 PM   #42
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Smoke On The Water
Yup. First and only song I “learned” as a kid.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #43
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread is great. I am being loaned an acoustic guitar for the next year or so and I'm going to teach myself how to play. If I enjoy it enough I may look into lessons and of course buy my own guitar.

I'm really good at air guitar, and I did quite well with Guitar Hero so I figure the next best step is to learn the real thing.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #44
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, tapping your strumming hand to the rhythm of songs you like is a way to develop the skill. Likewise, dexterity exercises help with the proprioception of your fingers as well.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #45
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Honestly, tapping your strumming hand to the rhythm of songs you like is a way to develop the skill.
This is a great tip, and something you can do anywhere. Figuring out that rhythm is as important as figuring out where your fingers go. Strum along in the car.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:51 AM   #46
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dumb question, but did any of you name your guitars? I personally name all my musical instruments and vehicles. It was just a dumb thing I did when I was younger, but I kinda found that naming my instrument made me feel guilty for not playing it and I'd stay slightly more diligent than not naming the instrument. I'd also take care of it better when it had a name than when it didn't.

Kinda stupid. But I got curious so I thought I'd ask.

I have a red Fender Strat that creative young me decided to name Rossa (Because I liked the Testarossa car as a kid, hence red guitar, Rossa).
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:15 AM   #47
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quarantine goals:

Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 12:45 AM   #48
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are their sites or videos to tune an electric guitar if you don’t know how to play lol?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:12 AM   #49
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Are their sites or videos to tune an electric guitar if you don’t know how to play lol?
I recommend getting an app for your phone called "GuitarTuna". It's free, quick and easy to use.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 01:20 AM   #50
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hear Fender has a good teach yourself program

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 04-03-2020 at 01:22 AM.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:31 PM   #51
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hear Fender has a good teach yourself program
I am not 'good' at the guitar by any stretch of the imagination, but here are a few tips

Learning to play looking at your phone will make you want to quit .

learning the open major / open minor chords is pretty well the building block to most songs. find a good chord chart and print it off.

Find songs that you like that use mostly open major/ minor chords (most every pop/rock song). That way you can learn the chords, their names, and have exercises moving between them.

Riffs are basically scales over chords. if you want to riff learn a scale taht corresponds to chords you like ( G - D - E irrc is most peoples singing range if you want to do that too), Scales won't get you too far in terms of applicability to songs, but its great for finger dexterity and improvisation if you and your buddy want to jam.

The Hal Leonard Guitar Method is probably the most popular guitar lesson book. But I would argue that it is not very engaging. You could likely cobble together your own regiment suited to the music that you like, because that's the point.

Finally, get good at guitar quick is scam. There is no short cut, if you wanna get good practice the same thing for 20 minutes at least, and do some exercises like scales/chord progressions for 10 minutes minimum. Every day.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #52
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I recommend a Snark, and keep it with your guitar.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #53
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I recommend a Snark, and keep it with your guitar.
These are so great. Yes you can download a free ap. But a snark is $15 and just clips onto your headstock, for as long as you want it there. Tunes by reading vibrations, not picking by up sound waves through a mic.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:15 PM   #54
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I use Cleartune app to tune my guitars.

It sometimes works to give you a clue what chords are being played when you listen to a song with it. Another app that does that better is Capo - it will listen to songs in your iTunes account and suggest the chords.

Last edited by troutman; 04-03-2020 at 02:18 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #55
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Boss Guitar App is the best one that I found for tuning guitars (before getting physical gear to tune)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tuner&hl=en_CA

Guitar Tuna charges you for alternative tunings - great for tuning in standard. I'm not paying $6.99/month for a tuner.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #56
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Here's a few tips for you all.

A couple of things I work on with students is separating the parts each hand does.

If you are a beginner and you want to learn chords quickly, practice memorizing the shapes with your fretting hand and start with an easy progression like a 4 finger open G chord to Cadd9 to Dsus4. In this example your ring and pinky fingers stay in the same place on each chord. Don't worry about strumming or picking as your fretting hand chord changes really determine your overall speed. Also the above progression is the intro progression to Good Riddance by Green Day.

If you are a good player that has hit a speed bump in a song and can't seem to get a part, use Guitar Pro as it has a loop feature that you can increase at any percentage you'd like. So for example if you are working on a song at 120 beats per minute and the part you are learning is proving too difficult, loop the section and get it to play at 50 percent increasing 1 percent in speed after each repeat. If you are getting close to the tempo but have hit a bump try increasing the tempo to 120 percent which is 20 percent faster than the song is played at. The goal is just to move your fingers physically at that speed and you can be as sloppy as all heck but you should notice when you move the song back to the original tempo that the parts will seem much easier to get and you will succeed in learning the part that was giving you trouble.

For the super advanced who want to increase ability, close your eyes and visualize playing the part and how your fingers have to move. It's what athletes do before big races and also works with athletic musical parts.

Hope some of that helps and good on you all for learning guitar.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robbie111 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #57
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Guitario is an app that will train you to memorize all the notes on the fretboard.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #58
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Any guitar enthusiasts want to take a quick look at this song and let me know if it's actually just standard D, G, A, G, D A chords at beginning (and throughout?).

Jimmy Eat World doesn't attract most guitar tabbers these days, but as an amateur I feel like I'm hearing some slight variance from open/power chords there, possibly an extra note on the G (second note in the song)?

Last edited by jayswin; 04-06-2020 at 05:10 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:48 PM   #59
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hi jayswin it's actually E5 diad to a B3 diad to an A5 diad. So for the E5 play the 6th string-open plus the 5th string-second fret then if you want to stay on the same strings move up to the B major 3rd diad using the 6th string-seventh fret and 5th string-6th fret follow by the A5 diad playing the 6th string-fifth fret and the 5th string-seventh fret.

Also 7 seconds in a second guitar overdub begins and it is doing an octave slide section which I can get back to you with. Just on to my next skype lesson. Have a great day!!
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robbie111 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #60
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Holy **** do I love Calgarypuck. Thanks, so much!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: