Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 09-14-2021, 04:59 PM   #41
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/...r00005090.html

Not a whole lot of names exactly jumping off the page, especially from 2018 & onward...
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:00 PM   #42
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary is one of the tougher markets but they did sign the best UFA deal this season IMO

And the top goalie last

Stone, Kadri, and Brown would be nice though
Old 09-14-2021, 05:01 PM   #43
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I suspect a new arena will help boost interest, ever so slightly. The Saddledome is probably feeling like a dump to play in at this point.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:10 PM   #44
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Drawing players to Calgary used to be easy. The club used to be considered as the class of the league. We used to set the standard. That all started at the top. Somewhere along the way the team lost that classy demeanour. Not sure who who left and took it with them. Iginla or King?

Being former military I subscribe to the belief that responsibility lies on the shoulders of the man at the top. Tree is in a position which allows praise and criticism based on results.
The results in this case don't lie. He has just publicly stated that he is having difficulty executing the moves that he wants in order to make this team successful but has done what he could.

The comments in that article make him sound like such a defeatist.

"I can't click my heels and make things happen"

Then find someone who can Mr. Treliving. If you can't make the necessary changes, step aside and let someone else take over.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #45
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikitiklik View Post
Drawing players to Calgary used to be easy. The club used to be considered as the class of the league. We used to set the standard. That all started at the top. Somewhere along the way the team lost that classy demeanour. Not sure who who left and took it with them. Iginla or King?

Being former military I subscribe to the belief that responsibility lies on the shoulders of the man at the top. Tree is in a position which allows praise and criticism based on results.
The results in this case don't lie. He has just publicly stated that he is having difficulty executing the moves that he wants in order to make this team successful but has done what he could.

The comments in that article make him sound like such a defeatist.

"I can't click my heels and make things happen"

Then find someone who can Mr. Treliving. If you can't make the necessary changes, step aside and let someone else take over.
It was pretty well known in the era you talk about that the Flames paid a lot of money to players, compared to some other teams. And then the dollar fell, and things changed. In a cap world the Flames don't have an ability to overpay as much as they used to. If they do, they end up like Edmonton or Toronto, with a highly paid top line and a bunch of scrubs below. Compared to certain US teams the overpayment has to also reflect taxes (and yes, I have seen the accountants' arguments that the difference isn't as great but I think players don't see it that way).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #46
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Core players had a down year, now is not the time to sell if the value is not there.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #47
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
When the market isn't willing to pay what you what you want for your players, perhaps that's an indicator that the team you've assembled is not very good.
Five minutes of looking at this and I still can’t figure out how you came to that?
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:30 PM   #48
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know Treliving says the same sort of thing often. I've heard the same from other GMs in the past too. It is tiresome. But it's also likely true, like many cliches.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:31 PM   #49
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It was pretty well known in the era you talk about that the Flames paid a lot of money to players, compared to some other teams. And then the dollar fell, and things changed. In a cap world the Flames don't have an ability to overpay as much as they used to. If they do, they end up like Edmonton or Toronto, with a highly paid top line and a bunch of scrubs below. Compared to certain US teams the overpayment has to also reflect taxes (and yes, I have seen the accountants' arguments that the difference isn't as great but I think players don't see it that way).
Did we? I don't recall the Flames having to pay extra to be honest but I may be wrong. Either way 7 years of Tree and the results are very clear.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:35 PM   #50
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikitiklik View Post
Did we? I don't recall the Flames having to pay extra to be honest but I may be wrong. Either way 7 years of Tree and the results are very clear.
I remember players in the 80s saying the Flames compensated very well. I don't think it was thought of as "extra", just that they were an organization that wasn't cheap.

Of course, back then there were no teams in tax friendly states either.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 05:36 PM   #51
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

"Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and *#$& the prom queen." - John Patrick Mason
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #52
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

UFA signings are about 90% less important than draft picks in terms of winning championships.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:47 PM   #53
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
UFA signings are about 90% less important than draft picks in terms of winning championships.
True. Though the rapid disappearance of the relatively cheap RFA contract is starting the affect the homegrown player market.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:54 PM   #54
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
True. Though the rapid disappearance of the relatively cheap RFA contract is starting the affect the homegrown player market.

Yup; it will be interesting to see if a new 'formula' emerges or if any of the dumb post ELC deals lead to cups.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:02 PM   #55
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/...r00005090.html

Not a whole lot of names exactly jumping off the page, especially from 2018 & onward...
Flames have made many analysts lists as having done very well in the 2019, 2020 and 2021 drafts.

And were ranked 6th on Bader's organization ranking based on those picks.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:23 PM   #56
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Well I didn't like reading that much at all. Tre sounds defensive. Francis has his usual bias inserting his agenda about Calgary and arenas into the narrative. I guess the good news is that Monahan is recovered and healthy.
And he couldn’t help but take crack at Sutter.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:37 PM   #57
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
why?
Check this out, Calgary's tax rate is up there.

https://gavingroup.ca/nhl-tax-calculator/
The most often noted cities that the players want to go to are all higher tax rates than Alberta. All NY, NJ, California teams are higher. Now check out the NHL Lifestyle rankings on the same site. The worst cities for cost of living are Florida, NY, Cali, NJ, Wash and Chi. There are more factors than the 1-2% higher tax rate.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #58
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I don't disagree and have stated I wish they would re-build properly. I see it as an organization mandate issue and not a BT issue.
I think there is a BT issue, though.

Clearly his hands are tied on rebuild, but there were trades to be made this off-season if the mandate is playoffs. Buchnevich is one that comes to mind that filled a need and cost wasn’t prohibitive.

In all my years as a fan, this off-season has made the least sense. I don’t have faith in the direction and the talk seems to defer action at each critical juncture. If you don’t make all your moves at the deadline, it’s the draft. If you don’t make all your moves at the draft, you can plug holes in free agency. If you don’t hit home runs on free agency, it’s a long off-season yet. A few years running now, and here we are, on the cusp of key players hitting free agency with very little direction to show for it.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 06:43 PM   #59
Skyceman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If Calgary is a difficult market for getting players then perhaps the owners model of refusing to rebuild is the core issue.

I can definitely see the viability of that model for teams in attractive markets.

Last edited by Skyceman; 09-14-2021 at 06:52 PM.
Skyceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:45 PM   #60
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest issue with luring players right now is that there is very little hype around the team. Having a top young player would go a long way. Getting a new arena with alluring player clubhouse amenities would be beneficial as well. Take Pittsburgh as an example. Before they had Crosby and a new arena, and after the peak Lemieux years, it wasn’t a top draw either. The same factors probably even make Edmonton a place some players will settle for. The Flames have almost nothing going for them at the moment. It will turnaround at some point, but not without going through some hard times.

I also can’t stress how much NMCs and NTCs hurt the level playing field in the NHL for some teams, the Flames being one of those.