Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-08-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default CPA Articling advice

Hey CP

I am going to be working with a small accounting firm starting mid November (non pre-approved route), and I will do the PEP core modules starting January next year.

If there are any CPAs here who have experience with articling students, or if you are an articling student yourself, I wanted to know your experience.

How is it like during the first week? What kind of assignments / expectations will I have in terms of tax, assurance/auditing, and financial accounting assignments? Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks!!
JeanLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Watch out for Nausicaans in a bar
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #3
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Watch out for Nausicaans in a bar
Completely unhelpful.

But I'll allow it.

Also...dont believe them when they tell you how many lights there are.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 05:11 PM   #4
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you get air sick ??

The helicopter rides can be gruesome...
Old 09-08-2021, 05:35 PM   #5
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLucPicard View Post
Hey CP

I am going to be working with a small accounting firm starting mid November (non pre-approved route), and I will do the PEP core modules starting January next year.

If there are any CPAs here who have experience with articling students, or if you are an articling student yourself, I wanted to know your experience.

How is it like during the first week? What kind of assignments / expectations will I have in terms of tax, assurance/auditing, and financial accounting assignments? Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks!!
Good luck to you! EV route sucks. I hope it will be easier for you working for a firm, but as someone working in industry having to do the EV was the worst part of the whole experience. And that includes the clusterF that my CFE was.

The PEP modules can be a bit of work, the Core modules are not bad, it is taking your Degree and applying it to situations more than learning depth, that's the electives job. Their estimates of work required (15 hours a week I think?) were actually pretty close. I would recommend using the resources given and following their schedule as much as possible. I didn't and it caught up to me in the electives. Check out the survival guide at the start of each course, its worth it.

I can't really say much about tax and assurance as I took the Finance/Performance Mgmt, but there is a good mix of all of it in the Core modules.

Really the number one thing to take from the courses and assignments is case writing. Knowing how to properly read/breakdown/analyze a case in the time allotted is the number one thing that will get you through the CFE.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 07:53 PM   #6
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife is a CA, CPA and complains about it mercifully every day. Yet keeps doing it. Not sure why but I suggest you start drinking now.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 08:26 PM   #7
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Do you get air sick ??

The helicopter rides can be gruesome...
"There!, There!, and There!"
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:32 PM   #8
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
My wife is a CA, CPA and complains about it mercifully every day. Yet keeps doing it. Not sure why but I suggest you start drinking now.
I got.out of it the day after my articling period was over which will tell you how much I didn't enjoy the work. Still was worth it, though.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:43 PM   #9
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's a good community of people generally. It's not an easy program, so those that have been through it want to help you out and get you through it too.

In terms of what to expect - just don't worry about it too much. The people you are working with will know how to start you off and you'll just go from there. For most its literally starting at knowing nothing and you slowing just start acquiring knowledge. It might seem daunting at first but don't be afraid to ask lots of questions along the way.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:03 PM   #10
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know a lot of people (including myself) have struggled with the experience verification route. Some people believe it's worse than the actual education portion of the program.

Gevorg, who does a lot of work for CPA including online webinars, suggests getting your employer to become a pre-approved training office (3:25 in the video below). If I had known that this was possible, it's probably one of the first things I would have done after starting the program.

However, if you choose to go the experience verification route, I think you'll have an easier time in your position at an actual accounting firm rather than when I did it through industry.

Last edited by Ashasx; 09-08-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 11:56 PM   #11
Stockton Heat Prez
Draft Pick

I articled at kmss from 2009 to 2012… have had interesting route in my career. Happy to share experiences, chat, whatever. Reach out anytime.
Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stockton Heat Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stockton Heat Prez For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 07:34 AM   #12
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Have you considered doing the courses through Athabasca, as opposed to CPA? Cost is about the same, but I predict the course load and exams will be much easier.

I'm finishing up my degree for work through AU, and need some accounting courses in there, so I did Advanced Financial Accounting, Management Information Systems, Auditing and Taxation through Athabasca, and the courses were all well set-up, and I got through them all pretty quickly.

I guess in your case, you might actually apply this knowledge in your career, so there is value in taking the courses through CPA, but I would still give AU a look. It's well set-up in the virtual environment, and I have found that the online exams have not been as brutal as I thought paper-based ones would be.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:55 AM   #13
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
Have you considered doing the courses through Athabasca, as opposed to CPA? Cost is about the same, but I predict the course load and exams will be much easier.

I'm finishing up my degree for work through AU, and need some accounting courses in there, so I did Advanced Financial Accounting, Management Information Systems, Auditing and Taxation through Athabasca, and the courses were all well set-up, and I got through them all pretty quickly.

I guess in your case, you might actually apply this knowledge in your career, so there is value in taking the courses through CPA, but I would still give AU a look. It's well set-up in the virtual environment, and I have found that the online exams have not been as brutal as I thought paper-based ones would be.
It sounded to me like they are doing their articling and PEP modules en route to a CPA designation, not undergrad accounting courses.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #14
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post
It sounded to me like they are doing their articling and PEP modules en route to a CPA designation, not undergrad accounting courses.
Correct, but the alternative is what was suggested - getting your accounting courses through a university and then you skip PEP. I went this route and it was fairly straightforward although intensive - I even did it while working my first year at a big 4. After doing that the actual modules were a breeze.

I went through TRU for this and it was pretty good. Can't speak to PEP as never had to do it. The whole process for me was unique as I was the first through the new program (part of my year did the UFE and the other part did the first CFE a year later).

I have heard work experience (ie. getting your hours) can be a PITA in smaller companies. Even places like Suncor and Husky which had a number of students was a pain.
Leondros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:40 PM   #15
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thank you very much for all the responses Update... I have had many more interviews and I actually have options now to pick a Pre-Approved training office Fingers crossed.

Yes I know about courses at Athabasca, its really nice, but I just finished all of the pre-reqs from CPA Western School of Business through their PREP program in August.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:42 PM   #16
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post

I can't really say much about tax and assurance as I took the Finance/Performance Mgmt, but there is a good mix of all of it in the Core modules.
Finance/Performance Management route sounds really nice! I would love to know more about that, but since my aim is to get into public accounting only, I think I have to do Tax / Assurance
Old 09-13-2021, 11:32 PM   #17
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Correct, but the alternative is what was suggested - getting your accounting courses through a university and then you skip PEP. I went this route and it was fairly straightforward although intensive - I even did it while working my first year at a big 4. After doing that the actual modules were a breeze.

I went through TRU for this and it was pretty good. Can't speak to PEP as never had to do it. The whole process for me was unique as I was the first through the new program (part of my year did the UFE and the other part did the first CFE a year later).

I have heard work experience (ie. getting your hours) can be a PITA in smaller companies. Even places like Suncor and Husky which had a number of students was a pain.
Undergrad courses are a prerequisite for PEP, not an alternative. Yes, there are graduate programs that are alternatives to doing the modules, but Athabasca University is not one of those options.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:40 AM   #18
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Head to some of the recruiting events that CPA Alberta and the various firms put on this time of year (although COVID may have put a wrinkle on those perhaps) given early fall is recruiting season typically. Perfect types of questions they'd be able to answer and guide you on.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #19
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLucPicard View Post
Hey CP

Thanks!!
I just realized no one addressed the latter half of your questions. It's been a little while since I delved into this stuff, but I think it's still relevant.

Knowing how to keep your CPA journey on track is important in ensuring that your experience is a positive one vs a hair pulling chaotic stressful one. IMO some of the below are good in keeping your learning on track while also juggling the responsibilities of working. But take it with a grain of salt as there's more than one approach.

First day or two will be intros/computer set up, then you'll likely be thrown into work. Responsibility wise, you're an employee now. I highly recommend you use a note book/spreadsheet or whatever to write down all sorts of tips and things you learned along the way. Additionally and equally as important, I'd keep track of the errors made on files (ie: The list of revisions). Lots of accounting is very repetitive so it's a good idea not to repeat the same errors over and over. The error page also becomes a great checklist before you hand in a file to reduce the items on your revision summary.

For note taking in the office, lots of scenarios will be paper/pen situations as you run around. Phone isn't really professional. I wouldn't recommend a phone for note taking, but it's appropriate for taking pics of things for reference later. Make sure you are allowed to take pics of the items though (ie: No confidential info). Personally, I will take many notes with paper and pen, then compile my notes in an excel spreadsheet for easy reference later on. I'll also use different tabs for different categories of information. It's also nice to be able to run calculations in excel which isn't really as easy to do in word. I learned to note take/compile late into my articling. I kinda wish I learned it earlier because those excel notes are far easier to read after a lengthy period of time than any other electronic (ie: Word/one note) or physical note taking method I have ever tried in the past.

A few quick excel note taking tips.
- Formatting in excel, I always do accounting with 0 or 2 decimals and no symbol. It's just easier to read numbers when the formatting is consistent all the time.
- type ' at the beginning of the cell means it displays straight up (vs converts to a different view/number if it's a formula). Use of certain symbols like $ and % can easily be used to change some of the cell formatting.
- Try not to let information go past column I or J. Use merge and centre + wrap text + increase row height for larger blocks of notes.
- If printing, scale to fit 1 page width with unlimited height.
- Use snip and sketch often to drop pictures into your notes rather than retype if possible.

When doing course work (ie: CPA), install something like Dropbox on your computer and create a folder for things like CPA courses, scanned reference materials (non-confidential) etc. This way you can work on different computers/if your computer fails, you won't lose your work/info. Do not put work files into Dropbox though. Work wise, read the storyboards and summary information thoroughly so you waste less time on aimless research/going down the wrong path.

Financial accounting, you might be doing bookkeeping and notice to readers by the end of your first or second week. Financial statement wise, balance sheets must balance and check rounding/formatting. You likely will shadow the prior year file to complete the file.

Tax wise, you might get experience filling in a few boxes in a tax program, but much more likely you'll initially be photocopying/scanning documents required as support for the filings.

Assurance/auditing you'll likely be asked to do tracing/vouching right off the bat which is basically looking at an accounting entry, then comparing it to the supporting documentation. Or you'll be asked to analysis calculations. It's very administrative. I highly recommend that if possible, when you first start doing this work to scan every invoice you look at and keep it in a folder to be deleted at the conclusion of the field work. Having to look up an invoice more than once if you forgot to verify certain info is a pain.

I don't know the changes to the CPA ATO/EV route (I went through CASB via the CATO route), but in my day, if your training office didn't have the ability to offer all of the necessary experience in different fields of accounting, the firm/employee would basically ask around to see if they could get seconded to another firm who could offer the required experience.

Chat frequently with your peers and others going through their articling as well. Learn about stylistic differences to determine different methodologies and determine what you'd like to internalize for yourself. Peers are always a good resource, but always be careful not to share confidential information. Additionally, be very careful about the CPA plagiarism policy (although I'm pretty sure that the CPA program is usually pretty good at going over where the line is for discussion and collaboration). Network frequently and ask for anecdotes and tidbits of wisdom/advice. Start paying attention to other students in the program. You might want to start keeping track who seems like good people to work with for when you set up study groups for CFE.

In all honesty, not all manager know how to deal with an articling student. They may just post you on projects that are important for meeting firm deadlines and not necessarily the best projects/files that are best for your development. It's your responsibility to keep track of that and speak up/remind your manager about specific experience you may need. Learn as much as you can, even some of the file finalizing and administrative work. Everything is connected and knowing how these extra things are done can save your bacon later on.

I've heard of students who take many days off (some the entire week) to study for exams. I don't think you usually need more than half a day to a day before the exam to prep if you have been keeping up with your module work. For the exams, always bring a jacket. It's weirdly windy and cold in many of the examination rooms. I also suggest bringing the equivalent of a box of cookies for a snack. For me, that was usually a roll of arrow root cookies. It's saved me in many situations when it wasn't possible to grab food and it's enough to give some to a friend as well if needed (I also bring one when I travel). I recall some of my exams taking 1-3 hours longer than expected, so the cookies were great for getting rid of the hunger distraction.

Good luck.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 02:16 PM   #20
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post
Undergrad courses are a prerequisite for PEP, not an alternative. Yes, there are graduate programs that are alternatives to doing the modules, but Athabasca University is not one of those options.
My mistake - got PREP and PEP confused. PEP being the actual 5 modules and capstone etc...
Leondros is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:

Tags
articling , cpa , student