Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon48 NHL's COVID-19 protocols for players

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...nated-players/

Quote:
The biggest news is a mechanism for teams to suspend unvaccinated players who are “unable to participate in club activities.” This includes situations where a player cannot travel because of local, provincial/state and/or federal regulations “upon return.” Such individuals would “forfeit the equivalent of one day’s pay for each day” they are precluded from participating.

It’s a major development considering the Canada/U.S. border and different rules/approaches across the NHL’s North American landscape. General managers were warned about this possibility at their virtual meeting in July and began informing players about the possibility.

There are exceptions — unvaccinated status based upon medical reasons; a conflict with “sincerely held religious beliefs;” establishment “on the basis of a balance of the probabilities,” COVID-19 “arised out of the course of employment as a hockey player;” or quarantine because of being a high-risk close contact.

If a fully vaccinated player is confirmed with a positive COVID test, his condition “shall be treated as a hockey-related injury for all purposes” under the CBA.

Unvaccinated players who are not exempted for the above reasons will not be paid if his team establishes, “on the basis of a balance of the probabilities, that the player failed to comply with the terms of this protocol in a manner that was reasonably related to his contraction of COVID-19 and/or any resulting or related illness.”

Other notable points of emphasis:

• Any player who wishes to opt-out of the 2021-22 season because they are unvaccinated or fully vaccinated “but can establish that an immediate family member with whom he shares a household is at substantially heightened risk of severe illness by contracting COVID-19” can opt-out by Oct. 1. The team in question will then have 30 days to decide if the player’s contract will be “tolled” (basically rolling it over to 2022-23) or if this season would be removed from the agreement. Anyone opting out would not be able to play in another league or the Olympics.

• Any person whose job, role, position or access entails or entitles them to have personal interactions (within 12 feet) of club hockey operations personnel (including players) must be fully vaccinated.

• Fully vaccinated players shall be subject to PCR testing at least every 72 hours. That guideline could change depending on how things progress. Unvaccinated players will be tested daily.

• There are stiff rules for unvaccinated players. On the road, they cannot enter “internal venues” other than the team hotel, practice facility, or game arena. They are not allowed to use the hotel gym, pool, sauna, steam room or other shared facilities. They are not allowed to have teammates, team staff or visitors inside their hotel room, with the exception of fully-vaccinated family. They are not allowed to leave the hotel to eat (or purchase food) or use any restaurants/bars (in or out of the hotel) that are open to the public. They can’t pick up food except where the restaurant provides curbside pickup (or similar service) that does not require entrance to the main restaurant.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 07:51 PM   #2
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The Athletic says 95% of NHL players are vaccinated and goes into more details about the new protocols.
https://theathletic.com/2806253/2021...shared_article
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:01 PM   #3
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's gonna be interesting is that the saddledome and other venues require everyone entering it to be vaccinated, will that be enforced on the players as well.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:10 PM   #4
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
What's gonna be interesting is that the saddledome and other venues require everyone entering it to be vaccinated, will that be enforced on the players as well.
Pretty sure the answer is yes.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:16 PM   #5
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

rumor is Kucherov will remain unvaccinated until the playoffs to help the Lightning save cap space
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:55 PM   #6
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
rumor is Kucherov will remain unvaccinated until the playoffs to help the Lightning save cap space
It doesn’t save them any cap space.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:51 AM   #7
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

It's still funny.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2021, 06:48 AM   #8
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rocky Thompson, Sharks assistant coach has resigned as he can’t get the vaccine for “medical exemption”
https://www.tsn.ca/san-jose-sharks-r...tion-1.1689509
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #9
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure Rock…

https://www.forbes.com/sites/victori...id-19-vaccine/
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2021, 11:44 AM   #10
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

It’s so dumb. People are willing to risk the welfare of others, and their own livelihoods, due to an issue which should be evidence and science based but has been politicized

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 09-04-2021 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Grammar
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2021, 08:58 PM   #11
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
This article is crap. People who have cancer, or on cancer drugs aren't allowed to get vaccine. People with Lupus in some extreme cases aren't allowed to get shots (I know because 2 of my 3 doctors fought amongst each other for 3 months before I was allowed to have mine in a hospital situation).

This whole article discusses people with allergic reactions, which are probably few and far between but could still be lethal to a small minority of the group. Both sides can post BS articles, we should be better and stay on target with discussions.

THis whole Covid discussion going on in society right now is so divisive it is getting unbearable to even watch or listen to the news.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:07 PM   #12
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
This article is crap. People who have cancer, or on cancer drugs aren't allowed to get vaccine. People with Lupus in some extreme cases aren't allowed to get shots (I know because 2 of my 3 doctors fought amongst each other for 3 months before I was allowed to have mine in a hospital situation).

This whole article discusses people with allergic reactions, which are probably few and far between but could still be lethal to a small minority of the group. Both sides can post BS articles, we should be better and stay on target with discussions.

THis whole Covid discussion going on in society right now is so divisive it is getting unbearable to even watch or listen to the news.
If you’re going to renounce an article, maybe provide evidence that supports your claim.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:02 PM   #13
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
If you’re going to renounce an article, maybe provide evidence that supports your claim.
i have lupus and cancer ###### bag, so #### off and prove me wrong.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:43 PM   #14
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My father-in-law has lung cancer. He asked the doctors if he can get the vaccine and they said if he wants to have a chance against covid then he should.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:47 PM   #15
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i have lupus and cancer ###### bag, so #### off and prove me wrong.
Dial it back a little. You were rather full-on and provided no supporting links. How is he supposed to know you have lupus and cancer? Is he supposed to take your anger and retroactively know before he made the post?
Old 09-06-2021, 05:44 AM   #16
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, it was kind of implied in his first paragraph.

Excited to see where this thread takes us
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:46 AM   #17
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My wife has lupus (in remission) and her doctor said to get the shot.

Sorry your health precludes you from taking the shot but I’d guess if you released a press statement it would read differently like “due to my health at this time I’m currently unable to take the shot - I will be stepping down until such time as I am able to”

That would convey that your personal situation not adversion to the vaccine is the issue. This statement however reads differently. Not to say it’s not possible, but seems unlikely or they’d have said it a little clearer (and could still be vague enough to protect your private health status)
Benched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:55 AM   #18
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You have said (a) people with cancer aren’t allowed to get the shot; (b) people with Lupus are often not allowed; (c) you have Lupus and cancer; and (d) you got the shot.

I’ve never read any reports of any particular condition aside from an allergic reaction to the first shot causing any doctor to recommend against the vaccine.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:08 AM   #19
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I'm reading it right, the NHL will exempt people who have medical conditions which don't allow them to be vaccinated.

So whatever Rocky Thompson's "medical" reason is, he can't find a doctor to sign off on the recommendation that he doesn't get vaccinated.... This is what drives me nuts these days, so many who are unvaccinated state that they are doing it because of a medical condition, yet they've never actually talked to or gotten that recommendation from a medical professional.

Last edited by the-rasta-masta; 09-06-2021 at 08:12 AM.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2021, 04:45 PM   #20
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
This is what drives me nuts these days, so many who are unvaccinated state that they are doing it because of a medical condition, yet they've never actually talked to or gotten that recommendation from a medical professional.
These are usually the same people that claimed they were being poisoned by their own exhaled carbon dioxide if they wore a mask. A bunch of inflexible, selfish babies.