Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #41
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Are you in Canada or the states? I doubt this will be available in Canada.
Yeah I'm in the US.

This basically merged two services I currently pay for. Into a superior platform.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #42
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Bring the theme song back!

Sweet Jesus, brings back a ton of memories from the 90's when I lived in the US. This one too:

Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #43
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Yay! and now that Disney is involved get ready for body checking to be banned from the game.
LOL. Stu Grimson played for the Mighty Ducks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #44
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did that press release get out too early? I'm getting 404s at that link now.
gallione11 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gallione11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 11:23 AM   #45
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’ll be interesting to see the final numbers but even if this deal is only $200M/year more than the current deal, over 7 years that difference combined with the fixed salary cap should all but guarantee that the owners come out way ahead over the term of this CBA despite any financial losses during this season due to covid restrictions.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:30 AM   #46
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’ll be interesting to see the final numbers but even if this deal is only $200M/year more than the current deal, over 7 years that difference combined with the fixed salary cap should all but guarantee that the owners come out way ahead over the term of this CBA despite any financial losses during this season due to covid restrictions.
I wonder how much the lost NHL.tv revenue is? Probably closer to 10 million than 100 million I'd guess.

Many of the NHL's current local deals are in risk with Sinclair's sports division headed towards some kind of bankruptcy. That's far more than 200 million at risk.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:34 AM   #47
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not as far ahead as they thought they'd be two years ago.

But they'll live.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:40 AM   #48
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Not as far ahead as they thought they'd be two years ago.

But they'll live.
I’m not so sure about that. Had the pandemic not happened the league and PA would have likely agreed to an extension with the previous 50/50 revenue split, under this current agreement with an end in sight to the pandemic the first season is looking like the only one in this deal that the league will take in less than 50% of HRR and every subsequent season they should take in significantly more than that due to the cap freeze.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:50 AM   #49
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not so sure about that. Had the pandemic not happened the league and PA would have likely agreed to an extension with the previous 50/50 revenue split, under this current agreement with an end in sight to the pandemic the first season is looking like the only one in this deal that the league will take in less than 50% of HRR and every subsequent season they should take in significantly more than that due to the cap freeze.
Well HRR certainly took a tremendous hit this year and last. Between players and owners (and other hockey related employees) someone is not getting that money.

And I think it likely impacted the size of this TV deal too. And maybe even future attendance.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:06 PM   #50
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
Did that press release get out too early? I'm getting 404s at that link now.
Yeah, it looks like they pulled it down. I wonder if the league wants to announce the whole deal at once and not just the ESPN half?

EDIT: Just as I post that, the league puts out their press release: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-espn-di...?tid=280504338 and the ESPN link is working again.

Last edited by getbak; 03-10-2021 at 12:08 PM.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 12:06 PM   #51
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

NHL's release. Looks like ESPN also has the rights to Latin America, Carribean, and parts of Europe

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-espn-di...?tid=280504338

Quote:
The Walt Disney Company, ESPN and the National Hockey League have reached a historic and innovative seven-year television, streaming and media rights deal, taking the new partnership from the beginning of the 2021-22 season through the 2027-28 season.

The visionary, first-of-its-kind agreement brings the NHL back to Disney and ESPN platforms and illustrates the unique position of The Walt Disney Company to bring the best hockey in the world to millions across its unparalleled collection of media platforms.

It is highlighted by: exclusive coverage of the Stanley Cup Final on ABC in four of the seven years of the agreement, with the ability to simulcast/megacast on ESPN+ and additional ESPN networks; the return of live NHL action to ESPN networks with 25 exclusive national regular-season games on ABC or ESPN; 75 national regular-season games per season produced by ESPN that will stream exclusively on both ESPN+ and Hulu; half of the Stanley Cup Playoffs on ABC and ESPN each season; and coverage annually of NHL's Face-off (opening night games), the NHL All-Star Game and Skills Challenge, plus other NHL special events each season.

Additionally, the NHL's out-of-market streaming package, with more than 1,000 games (formerly on NHL.TV), will now be available for fans to stream only as part of an ESPN+ subscription.

The agreement also includes extensive highlight rights that will add to coverage across ESPN's year-round news and highlights programming, and to coverage on the ESPN App and social media. International media rights - including in Latin America, the Caribbean and parts of Europe - are also part of the agreement.

"This partnership of the world's top hockey league and the platforms of The Walt Disney Company is a big win for our fans and our game," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "Not only will this groundbreaking, seven-year deal enable the NHL to benefit from the incomparable power, reach and influence of The Walt Disney Company and ABC/ESPN, it sets a new standard in delivering our game to the most passionate and tech-savvy fans in sports in the ways they now demand and on the platforms they use."

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-10-2021 at 12:11 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:16 PM   #52
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1369725592212475905

The last time ABC/ESPN broadcast an NHL game, Darryl Sutter was coaching the Flames. They just knew it wouldn't be the same without him there.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #53
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been told that annually ESPN will pay more than $400 million to the NHL as part of this deal.

https://twitter.com/seanshapiro/stat...34254779830278

Should be about $9M to the cap per Boomer Gordon on the NHL Radio.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #54
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Been told that annually ESPN will pay more than $400 million to the NHL as part of this deal.

https://twitter.com/seanshapiro/stat...34254779830278

Should be about $9M to the cap per Boomer Gordon on the NHL Radio.
The cap isn’t going to be linked to revenue for the majority of this deal but even if it were, 50% of the additional $200M in revenue divided by 32 teams is only a little over $3M/team that would actually go to the players.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:54 PM   #55
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is NBC still their partner for the remaining games or is that to be determined?

With NBC shutting down NBCSN, which network will carry the NHL?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #56
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last time ABC carried the Finals was in 2004, and Erin Andrews was part of the broadcast crew. I remember her interviews with Iggy.

Maybe the same team from the Western Conference will be in the Finals the next time they are on ABC...
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #57
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Is NBC still their partner for the remaining games or is that to be determined?

With NBC shutting down NBCSN, which network will carry the NHL?
NBC would seem the most-likely, but Fox or CBS could be in the mix too. With NBCSN shutting down, their existing sports properties are expected to be moved to USA Network, which has otherwise significantly reduced its amount of original content in recent years.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #58
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

So as a US based subscriber to NHL.tv am I now forced to pay for ESPN+ to get it now? Cause that really blows and I’ll just stop watching legally altogether. I despise the ESPN+ and more model. Not sure I get the bit about nhl.tv moving to ESPN+ as well. If it’s included in the cost well great thanks for forcing me to buy your crap I guess. Yay more subscriptions.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #59
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

While the rest of us continue to watch on the barely functional Canada Ploos
Old 03-10-2021, 01:15 PM   #60
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
So as a US based subscriber to NHL.tv am I now forced to pay for ESPN+ to get it now? Cause that really blows and I’ll just stop watching legally altogether. I despise the ESPN+ and more model. Not sure I get the bit about nhl.tv moving to ESPN+ as well. If it’s included in the cost well great thanks for forcing me to buy your crap I guess. Yay more subscriptions.
The press release clearly says it is included in ESPN+. Not sure why you're offended at the ESPN+, as it will be considerable cheaper than nhl.tv, and the nhl.tv has a pretty crappy interface.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post: