Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 06:02 PM   #11821
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It’s a border issue to Americans. It’s just more hassle for mom to move to a foreign country for seven months of the year, or cross an international border many times a season. A lot of Americans go their entire lives without traveling outside the U.S.
That last part is an over generalization that likely doesn’t apply to pro athletes and their families, who are no strangers to international travel.

Let’s face it, the biggest reasons athletes prefer US is likely weather, taxes and lifestyle/entertainment options. Unwillingness to cross US Canada border is probably quite a bit further down the list.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:08 PM   #11822
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure what it would take but Gabe Vilardi remains a guy I would try and go get
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 09:08 PM   #11823
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Eichel has 5 years of fair(ish) value.

vs.

Monahan has 2 years of fair(ish) value.
Tkachuk has 1 more year of ??? value, followed by ????????

Although our picks have a strong chance of being top 10, I don't think BUF would be interested, let alone adding a 2nd.

For Calgary, I'd do it in a heartbeat and I'd even ditch the 2nd if I can top 5 protect the 1st.

You think the value of Monny and Eichel on a per year basis is about equal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2021, 09:17 PM   #11824
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

I think he’s saying that Monahan at $6.3 might be fairish (generous), and it’s only 2 more years. Eichel at $10M is fairish (generous this year for sure) and it’s 5 more years. $10M is a pretty hard contract to live up to and I’d bet there will be years he doesn’t. BUT I think the chances are Eichel will, just not with Buffalo. Monahan is a way bigger question mark.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 09:30 PM   #11825
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Not sure what it would take but Gabe Vilardi remains a guy I would try and go get
If TheFourthPeriod is to be believed, Noah Hanifin would fit what they’re after. They were rumoured to be after a young top pairing defenceman.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 09:35 PM   #11826
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No. You get 5 years of an A to A+ asset in Eichel.

2 years of B to A- in Monahan.

2-? years of B+ to A in Tkachuk. If it's Buffalo, it's almost certainly 1 yr at 7M and 1 at 9M.

So probably 4 years of inferior production (total cap hit ~$28M) vs. 5 yrs (total cap hit $50M). If we assume each player's value is fair(ish) to his AAV, then those could almost just consider those numbers as values on each side of a trade scale (albeit a gross oversimplification to be sure)

I really don't see why BUF would be interested in Tkachuk without an extension in place. And given the cap, I don't see any reason for Tkachuk to do anything but take his QO or a big ticket deal...
Old 05-05-2021, 10:00 PM   #11827
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Yeah I love that kid, he would check a lot of boxes for us-big, fast C. With all the quality young centers coming up in their system like Byfield, Turcotte, Anderson-Dolan, and Kupari, perhaps they feel they could afford to trade him to us for someone like Hanifin, as stated above....
Old 05-06-2021, 08:20 AM   #11828
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Yeah I love that kid, he would check a lot of boxes for us-big, fast C. With all the quality young centers coming up in their system like Byfield, Turcotte, Anderson-Dolan, and Kupari, perhaps they feel they could afford to trade him to us for someone like Hanifin, as stated above....
Never heard of Vilardi as being fast.
I think that one of his biggest problems is lack of footspeed.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:23 AM   #11829
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what Gaudreau's value would be with an extension in place (acquiring team able to negotiate prior to trade).
Old 05-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #11830
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
I wonder what Gaudreau's value would be with an extension in place (acquiring team able to negotiate prior to trade).
It really shouldn't be any more, as it's the acquiring team's ability to get that in place, and really has nothing do with Calgary. it didn't seem to make any difference to Stone.

In reality, it does make a difference.

Although, I think any team trading for Johnny would want to see how he performs and which Johnny are they getting.

Plus, I assume this means the trade would occur after his NTC kicks in.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #11831
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

2 years of B to A- in Monahan.
That might be charitable.

Based on his cap hit, he's performing at likely a D level.

If teams knew he would be at 2021 level during the next 2 years, he would go unclaimed on waivers.

I think he's hard to move for any value unless he proves he's healthy and more productive. Which means I doubt he's moved in the offseason.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:44 AM   #11832
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It really shouldn't be any more, as it's the acquiring team's ability to get that in place, and really has nothing do with Calgary. it didn't seem to make any difference to Stone.

In reality, it does make a difference.

Although, I think any team trading for Johnny would want to see how he performs and which Johnny are they getting.

Plus, I assume this means the trade would occur after his NTC kicks in.
I always forget about his NTC.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:52 AM   #11833
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That might be charitable.

Based on his cap hit, he's performing at likely a D level.

If teams knew he would be at 2021 level during the next 2 years, he would go unclaimed on waivers.

I think he's hard to move for any value unless he proves he's healthy and more productive. Which means I doubt he's moved in the offseason.
His trade value is a big question mark. I think he's movable, but Treliving will need to have a plausible story to explain his steep decline.

he should have been moved for picks at last draft but even then, return likely would have been disappointing.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:00 AM   #11834
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
His trade value is a big question mark. I think he's movable, but Treliving will need to have a plausible story to explain his steep decline.

he should have been moved for picks at last draft but even then, return likely would have been disappointing.
Other teams have pro scouts too, it's going to take more than a story. Thankfully NHL GMs all have big egos and they all seem to think they can turn players around.

Bennett's Florida performance might actually really help with the perceived value of some of our mediocre players.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:41 AM   #11835
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with Monahan is he doesn’t do many of the things expected of an NHL centre. I struggle to think of other pure sniper centres in the league, guys who don’t carry the puck, come back deep, distribute the puck, cycle the puck well, or kill penalties. Monahan really is an anomaly.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #11836
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The problem with Monahan is he doesn’t do many of the things expected of an NHL centre. I struggle to think of other pure sniper centres in the league, guys who don’t carry the puck, come back deep, distribute the puck, cycle the puck well, or kill penalties. Monahan really is an anomaly.
Well, he does kill penalties now, and he’s carrying and cycling more with Mangiapane, but it’s a bit late to develop fully.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #11837
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Why in the world would we trade Hanifin to a division rival for a non guaranteed #1 C? That would nicely set the team back.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:49 AM   #11838
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Why in the world would we trade Hanifin to a division rival for a non guaranteed #1 C? That would nicely set the team back.
Hanifin as a 24 year old D man who you’d expect has maybe 8-10 more years, is part of the rebuild, not the price of it. He may never be an offensive catalyst but he looks to be a high minute solid defender like a Jaybo.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:01 AM   #11839
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Hanifin as a 24 year old D man who you’d expect has maybe 8-10 more years, is part of the rebuild, not the price of it. He may never be an offensive catalyst but he looks to be a high minute solid defender like a Jaybo.
So we agree? Things are getting weird around here.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:17 AM   #11840
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It has to happen now to make sense

Lafreniere for Tkachuk at 50%

NYR gets the guaranteed gritty star and Flames go back to build mode

Of course, Gaudreau/Monahan/Gio all get traded in separate deals as well