Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #10881
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Merkley is interesting. His game is similar to Mangiapane but a bit better skater. This would be a great player to add and get a look for the remainder of the season.
Gotta disagree with you there-the comparable is the right one, but while Mang is not an elite skater, I would bet he runs circles around Merkley. Merkley’s skating has always been his detriment, and it’s probably the reason he can’t catch on in the big leagues-his effectiveness is lessened, even if he puts points up.

Not sure we want him on a team that already has its fair share of mediocre skaters....
Old 04-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #10882
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
What did Edwards say to the GM?
Sounds like the start of a bad joke.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:47 PM   #10883
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Gotta disagree with you there-the comparable is the right one, but while Mang is not an elite skater, I would bet he runs circles around Merkley. Merkley’s skating has always been his detriment, and it’s probably the reason he can’t catch on in the big leagues-his effectiveness is lessened, even if he puts points up.

Not sure we want him on a team that already has its fair share of mediocre skaters....
He actually skates pretty well. In juniors he identified it was an area of improvement. He isn't a speed demon but he is far from a mediocre skater.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #10884
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Please don't happen
Old 04-07-2021, 05:03 PM   #10885
calbow
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Is Mike Vernon a jerk? That's disappointing. I know my dad wasn't a huge fan after seeing Vernon stumble out of a bar very drunk the night before a big playoff game.

I thought you were just making the same point that FanIn80 did.
Your dad is correct! Mike and Theo used to go to the Beacon to watch live bands...Peakin at the Beacon days..I remember well..
Old 04-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #10886
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just typed in jack eichels name into Google and one of the first links is to oilers Nation asking if the oilers can land jack eichel wtf is wrong with them
Old 04-07-2021, 05:10 PM   #10887
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I just typed in jack eichels name into Google and one of the first links is to oilers Nation asking if the oilers can land jack eichel wtf is wrong with them
Everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 05:14 PM   #10888
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Please don't happen
I don't understand this one... For either team really
Old 04-07-2021, 05:14 PM   #10889
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Please don't happen
Why would Buffalo even consider that?
Old 04-07-2021, 05:16 PM   #10890
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Somebody is trying to be the Jack of all trades.

...I'll leave now.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 05:18 PM   #10891
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Why would Buffalo even consider that?
Because it's a fair deal?
Old 04-07-2021, 05:20 PM   #10892
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He actually skates pretty well. In juniors he identified it was an area of improvement. He isn't a speed demon but he is far from a mediocre skater.

I dunno, man-his skating looks pretty mediocre in those highlights.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:21 PM   #10893
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
How is that a fair deal?
Old 04-07-2021, 05:22 PM   #10894
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Buffalo gives up the 2 best players in a 4 player deal and doesn't even get a pick in return? I could see this if NJ also kicked in at least a first round pick if not more.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:23 PM   #10895
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe I’m missing something but neither Hischier nor Hughes are even remotely close to Eichel. Both of them alone for Eichel probably wouldn’t get it done, let alone throwing in a very young defenseman who is a recent 1st overall pick.

Absolutely terrible deal for Buffalo IMO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #10896
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I mean, they could probably trade McDavid for him...

Quote:
Only if you have an irrational hatred for Eichel.

Hischier vs. Eichel could be a bit of a tossup (though most would favour Eichel). Both seem injury prone at this point. Eichel has proven a lot more offensively, but Hischier probably has more upside to be a complete player, and more upside to be a good value contract.

I guess Hughes looks better this year, but he's still basically on pace to match Bennett's rookie year. Nick Lidstrom had played exactly 0 NHL games by the time he was Dahlin's age. Dahlin's first two years almost certainly outscore Hughes' first two years by a fair margin. I don't think there value is close at all.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #10897
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

The two best players BY FAR in that deal are Eichel and Dahlin (despite the fact that he's having an abysmal season, he still has the makings of a future Norris-calibre defenseman).I have no doubt Hughes will get it together and have a great career, but he won't be a franchise-type Center. Same could be said about Hischier-he's a great 2-way player, but maybe not a franchise player.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:36 PM   #10898
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hughes has 38 pts in his first 98 games.

Dahlin had 40 pts in 59 games last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 05:45 PM   #10899
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What did Edwards say to the GM?
“It’s your budget, hell, sign Jagr if you want to”.

This was back when Jagr was a top player. He wasn’t considering Jagr, it was more “I’m not telling you who to sign - you have a budget”. This was 2001, when Jagr ended up signing with the Caps.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 06:07 PM   #10900
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Really, points? I mean, if it's all about points, I guess Ghost is better than McDavid, Matthews, Mackinnon, Eichel and etc. I'm talking about entire games, every shift. He was sensational in that tournament and outplayed all the other forwards in my opinion, including his linemate Nathan Mackinnon and RNH.

Physicality was not prevalent in that series, but we're still talking about best on best here. I know everyone likes to point out out that he can't take a hit and can't play playoff hockey and etc. But I'm pretty sure Gaudreau won the Final Four tournament and Gold at the WJHC. He can play in big games, but what he needs is a good breakout so he can make plays on the rush and how can he achieve this? By playing with a center that can break through a trap, push the puck up ice and dish it off to Gaudreau or to the RW with time and space.

I've said it a lot and I'm going to keep saying it, Gaudreau would be alot better if he played off the puck more because he has a great first step, exceptional instincts and the ability to cut/turn on a dime.
I'm on board with you man. I think if Gaudreau heads off somewhere with a center that is good at 'center type things', one who plays with speed, can make a creative play, etc. and maybe a winger who isn't a fringe NHLer - it's back to 90 points a season for Johnny.

He's literally the only guy on that line anyone has to even remotely care about defensively. He is responsible for transition to offense both because sure he wants the puck but also because Monahan and Ritchie cannot bring it up.

There is all this noise about Gaudreau not resigning because he wants to head home. More likely is he wants to play in a city that is competitive, has a shot at a cup and will give him a chance to succeed (with appropriate linemates).

If he's not resigning in Calgary its probably because we have won what 1 playoff round in the 7 years he's been here? And he gets to play with Nick Ritchie and his buddy who is falling apart before out eyes.

Here's hoping the split of of these two on two diff lines on Saturday showcases something for both players (especially Gaudreau).

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeMc For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread