Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2021, 01:34 PM   #721
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Thoughts on how best to sell a bunch of modern furniture in Kelowna?

Kijiji?

I have also heard about Facebook Marketplace, but I don't have a Facebook account.

There is a high end consignment store at Springfield & Spall.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 02:16 PM   #722
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Thoughts on how best to sell a bunch of modern furniture in Kelowna?

Kijiji?

I have also heard about Facebook Marketplace, but I don't have a Facebook account.
Granted I’m not in Kelowna and am assuming similar mentality to Calgary… a lot of people feel that FB is less random and less anonymous amd hence more trustworthy. Some people just create a simple FB account for marketplace usage only… but can you resist looking at all the crap that’ll arrive in your feed?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 03:30 PM   #723
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I've never sold a used car but wouldn't something like autotrader.ca be a lot better than kijiji? I mean, there's obviously a fee, but I'd imagine it's worth it at the end of the day.
When I sell my cars, I always post the ads on both (you don't need to pay a fee for either as long as you don't buy into any promotions). 100% of the sales so far were from Kijij leads. It's the wild-west out there, but it does get more eyeballs, and thus results, in my experience.

I find Autotrader is more of a source for dealer and higher-end cars.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #724
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I got rid of some furniture earlier this year and had lots more success with Facebook FWIW
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 09:29 PM   #725
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I got rid of some furniture earlier this year and had lots more success with Facebook FWIW
Question, if I want to get rid of a couch for cheap, but I need the person to come pick it up, which is a better platform - Kijiji or Facebook Marketplace?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:32 PM   #726
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Question, if I want to get rid of a couch for cheap, but I need the person to come pick it up, which is a better platform - Kijiji or Facebook Marketplace?
Will you deliver and carry it down into my basement. Bring some help as I am not strong enough.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:34 PM   #727
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, is Kijiji falling off the map or something?

I've posted a whole office's worth of furniture and have had 1 legitimate reply to like a dozen ads, including desks, cabinets, shelving units, etc.

That or maybe people are just getting cheaper on there. 100-350 doesn't seem like a pricey range for this stuff though.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:35 PM   #728
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Will you deliver and carry it down into my basement. Bring some help as I am not strong enough.
Didn't I just say I need the buyer to come pick it up? I can probably help get the couch out of my door and load it to the truck and that's it....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:35 PM   #729
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I put a sofa on Kijiji for free a few weeks ago. Had somebody come pick it up within a few hours. I had considered selling it for cheap, then decided it wasn't worth my time for the sake of $50. Because if I didn't sell it, I'd be paying $25 to take it to the dump.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 09:52 PM   #730
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Half the stuff I got rid of I put for free for pickup. I clearly said in the ad "I will not help you move it, bring help"

The only downside with free is you get a LOT of people messaging.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 10:06 PM   #731
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Selling your car for less than you expected leads me to believe you’re a weak negotiator and that you’re prime fish to pay more than you expected to for my vehicle.
Fish all you want...remember this is all BS from my end. The whole point is I only have X amount of cash to spend, take it or leave it.

I have never paid more than I expected for anything on Kijiji. If the seller won't budge he can pound sand and I move on. Plenty of fish in the sea.

This often works because the seller has been dealing with morons that don't actually have money...If I ever make you an offer for something its a real offer, you accept and I am on my way to pick it up.

People in the buy and sell on here would likely back me up on that

Another thing though...if the price is fair or more than fair I just go pick it up and don't negotiate, like the Nintendo Switch I bought tonight for $160!

Last edited by dino7c; 09-17-2021 at 10:10 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:07 PM   #732
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Didn't I just say I need the buyer to come pick it up? I can probably help get the couch out of my door and load it to the truck and that's it....
What’s your lowest price? Can you deliver?

I didn’t get as much for my current couch as I was hoping so I can only go to $15.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:14 PM   #733
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I gave away a couch about 10 years back...the person didn't show up when they said (six or so) but then came knocking at 11pm. I had them back onto my lawn so we could load it in easily (because they came alone despite my ad saying bring some help) and what does she do? Pins it on the way out and rips up my ####ing grass!

Salvation army now on for me
Old 09-17-2021, 10:16 PM   #734
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

I've posted a whole office's worth of furniture and have had 1 legitimate reply to like a dozen ads, including desks, cabinets, shelving units, etc.

That or maybe people are just getting cheaper on there. 100-350 doesn't seem like a pricey range for this stuff though.
It depends what you're selling. Keep in mind that there is overages and shortages of lots of items based on Covid. Office furniture is in a huge surplus on second hand markets with so many working from home during the pandemic, and in lots of cases permanently.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 10:17 PM   #735
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I like my kijiji negotiations to open the way I like online recipes. I want a 500 word essay before we get to the important stuff. You can’t just open with numbers. I need some life context, where you grew up, what your relationship was like with your mother, why the smell of jasmine reminds you of aunt Gladys.

If your opening offer doesn’t start with “when I was 6 years old on summer vacation…” or the like, don’t even bother making an offer.
You joke but I have gotten better deals on things by saying stuff like...wow my kids would love this ect.

One lady made her husband lower the price of a travel trailer because "I want it to go to a nice family"
Old 09-17-2021, 11:15 PM   #736
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I put a sofa on Kijiji for free a few weeks ago. Had somebody come pick it up within a few hours. I had considered selling it for cheap, then decided it wasn't worth my time for the sake of $50. Because if I didn't sell it, I'd be paying $25 to take it to the dump.
I did this with a 12 year old TV that was in working condition. Put it out front of my house with the remote taped to it and an ad on kijiji that it was free. The ad said I wouldn't hold it and it was first come first serve.

Some dude grabbed it within half an hour, messaged me that he got it and thanked me and then the ad was deleted.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:33 PM   #737
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

I find Kijiji is better for electronics and niche items, whereas Facebook is better for furniture and other soft goods. I still crosspost but there's pretty clearly a difference in the users that each service attracts. Basically Kijiji overindexes on tech-savvy men whereas Facebook has more women and normal people.

Facebook is also better in terms of long term listings that are high consideration and might get a few bites every week before selling. You can simply renew your listing to push it back to the top unlike Kijiji where you have to delete and repost.

Last edited by Flames0910; 09-18-2021 at 01:37 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 07:23 AM   #738
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

The problem with office furniture in general, is that Kijiji is spammed with resellers like allsold.ca. they put up literally 100s of ads everyday, it's worse than looking at used cars because you can't filter to private sales.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 08:53 AM   #739
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is inserting yourself into the photos a new sales tactic trend I'm not aware of?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1583779003

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1584148111

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1585844568
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:05 AM   #740
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Probably laziness. I already have a photo of my car, I’ll just post that one instead of going and taking a new one without me in it.

That is how a trend starts.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote