Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-16-2021, 06:47 PM   #2381
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol. Yeah hard to spot in the dark, that's why they have all those hi-vis decals on them.

Lots of Calgary's F-150s arent even the police package, they're regular off the lot trucks. So you're wrong on that one too.

Name me a good cheap car that would make a good police vehicle that wouldn't have to be imported at a large cost. You know why European and Japanese police can use cheap small cars? Because European and Japanese manufacturers make small, cheap cars. North American manufacturers hardly even make cars at all anymore. If Honda or Toyota wanted to produce a police version of one of their larger vehicles, and set up production for it in North America, I bet it would sell extremely well. Especially in cities like New York. But they aren't interested

Bring back the Crown Vic!

Last edited by btimbit; 09-16-2021 at 06:52 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:58 PM   #2382
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
lol. Yeah hard to spot in the dark, that's why they have all those hi-vis decals on them.

Oh, yeah, look at "all those hi-vis decals"... A stripe along the back bumper and faint stripes along the sides apparently constitutes a lot to you, but not to me.

Quote:
Lots of Calgary's F-150s arent even the police package, they're regular off the lot trucks. So you're wrong on that one too.
I didn't say all CPS F-150s are "police package" vehicles, I said the F-150 is among the handful of North American vehicles sold with a "police package".

Quote:
Name me a good cheap car that would make a good police vehicle that wouldn't have to be imported at a large cost.
Honda Civic; made in Alliston, Ontario. A reputation for being super-reliable, economical, handles well, practical. Everything the average police cruiser needs to be.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:04 PM   #2383
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure how much driving at night you do, but every bit of yellow and white sticker on those things light up like a Christmas tree, especially under lighting.

I have my own wishlist for police markings and black and white sure isn't on it. I'm just arguing that the big mean scary cops trying to look intimidating for the sake of it argument is hilarious and based on nothing. It's not a coincidence that the change to black and white happened across the entire continent all at once, it was the manufactures saying they're building less white cars going forward so they're going to be more expensive, deal with it. There wasn't some big international police meeting where they decided they should all start trying to look scary, and people crying about it online never started until about 5 or so years after the change, and waaaay after public engagement about it was finished (which btw was positive)

We've had this convo a dozen times on CP so I'm going to drop it. We're not going to change each other's minds anyway

Last edited by btimbit; 09-16-2021 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:07 PM   #2384
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If Honda or Toyota wanted to produce a police version of one of their larger vehicles, and set up production for it in North America, I bet it would sell extremely well. Especially in cities like New York. But they aren't interested

Bring back the Crown Vic!
Why do our police vehicles have to be produced in North America?

If the Japanese can do it better/cheaper I'm not interested in paying higher property taxes to make sure the police cars get built in Michigan instead.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:10 PM   #2385
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Why do our police vehicles have to be produced in North America?

If the Japanese can do it better/cheaper I'm not interested in paying higher property taxes to make sure the police cars get built in Michigan instead.
The almighty $, and supply. Same reason British police don't use cars made here but can afford BMW's. Only way to really market a vehicle toward large scale fleet sales is domestic production, that's why the Ford Tranist manages to be popular in Europe.

For a small police force sure, they could get in touch with a dealer network and ask for 25 cars and slowly get them over the next year or two. For a place like Calgary that has almost 1200 vehicles the answer has to be bulk sales

Last edited by btimbit; 09-16-2021 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:14 PM   #2386
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But people will still ignore the reasonable explanations and complain, blaming it on vanity or whatever nonsense makes sense in their head, just like the whole scary black cars thing
None of that is a reasonable explanation why someone supervising a photo radar apparatus needs to have a late model truck or SUV. That is literally a job that a computer could do, and a person could do it just as well from a 5 year old civic as a 1 year old explorer.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:15 PM   #2387
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
None of that is a reasonable explanation why someone supervising a photo radar apparatus needs to have a late model truck or SUV. That is literally a job that a computer could do, and a person could do it just as well from a 5 year old civic as a 1 year old explorer.
I don't disagree at all there, I guess the best explanation for that one is they use what they have
Old 09-16-2021, 07:19 PM   #2388
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't disagree at all there, I guess the best explanation for that one is they use what they have
If only there was some way we could start buying $20,000 vehicles instead of $50,000 vehicles to hold the photo radar machines.

Its too bad none of the "cut the fat" candidates will ever push on stuff like this. Oh well, at least we'll get empty platitudes to go with our expensive vehicles sitting with radar on under-posted roads.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:21 PM   #2389
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

They typically only buy domestics with a heavy preference to rwd. With the volume of trucks we have on the road here you want vehicles that can grapple with large powerful trucks and SUV. RCMP use a ton of trucks in Northern Alberta, around Fort Mac they seemed like the majority.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:22 PM   #2390
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta remember as well though, demand for those vehicles is extremely high and the city doesn't lose a lot when they sell them. That applies to most city vehicles, not just police, a truck like they use in Roads they almost break even, only really losing the cost of the accessories and equipment as those are what drives up the re-sale price
Old 09-16-2021, 07:25 PM   #2391
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
They typically only buy domestics with a heavy preference to rwd. With the volume of trucks we have on the road here you want vehicles that can grapple with large powerful trucks and SUV. RCMP use a ton of trucks in Northern Alberta, around Fort Mac they seemed like the majority.
I'd suggest that it doesn't matter where the photo radar vehicles are manufactured, whether they're front or rear wheel drive, nor how good they are at grappling with anything. It's job is to hold up a radar gun and keep it out of the elements.

Total cost of ownership should be the primary factor considered.

The old guard preferring domestic rear wheel drive shouldn't be a factor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 07:33 PM   #2392
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd suggest that it doesn't matter where the photo radar vehicles are manufactured, whether they're front or rear wheel drive, nor how good they are at grappling with anything. It's job is to hold up a radar gun and keep it out of the elements.

Total cost of ownership should be the primary factor considered.

The old guard preferring domestic rear wheel drive shouldn't be a factor.
Well for the photo radar, we already have light posts. Not that they need any ideas.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 05:50 AM   #2393
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well for the photo radar, we already have light posts. Not that they need any ideas.
No, they need to be able to move them around to ensure efficient revenue generation.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 07:45 AM   #2394
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I'll vote for whomever requires the police to use the same cars as the French.

Renault Meganes for all.
Need the 🚨 to go with it

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 10:10 AM   #2395
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure how much driving at night you do, but every bit of yellow and white sticker on those things light up like a Christmas tree, especially under lighting.
I find if I'm on foot, trying to spot a police car at night is damn near impossible. Society shouldn't be designed for everyone to be in a car at all times.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #2396
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Differently fund" the police!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 10:45 AM   #2397
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Totally irrelevant, but the black and white cruisers look super dope. Stylistically, they knocked or out of the park.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:12 PM   #2398
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Need the 🚨 to go with it
You implement those, and Bourne-style police chases will go up exponentially.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:19 AM   #2399
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I’m certain if they started using unmanned machines, some noble vigilante would pellet gun them.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:30 AM   #2400
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
I’m certain if they started using unmanned machines, some noble vigilante would pellet gun them.
Intersection red light / speed-on-green cameras seem to be left alone these days. Where is this noble vigilante of whom you speak?

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat