Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #41
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's also been a bit of controversy over a Batgirl cover over at DC. The cover has been pulled at the request of the artist. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/c...rely-you-jest/

Here's a good story about it and the issues it's raised: http://comicsalliance.com/the-vocal-...ity-in-comics/
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:23 PM   #42
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I didn't know Alex Ross was over at Marvel. I loved his DC stuff.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #43
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure if he's at Marvel per se - but he is contributing covers to Secret Wars.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #44
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
There's also been a bit of controversy over a Batgirl cover over at DC. The cover has been pulled at the request of the artist. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/c...rely-you-jest/

Here's a good story about it and the issues it's raised: http://comicsalliance.com/the-vocal-...ity-in-comics/
I've been following along with this story and I am not happy with how this has turned out. There isn't anything sexualized about the cover at all. She's fully clothed and the Joker just has his arm around her. Nothing about that image screams rape. If you put Robin in her place (complete with the single tear) I doubt we'd even be talking about this cover.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #45
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Completely agree, I honestly didn't see anything wrong with that cover. Especially as someone who isn't reading that story, I saw the cover and it looks like he's shot her and she just found out. I didn't think anything was sexual about it until someone else brought it up...I still think it's a stretch.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:41 PM   #46
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I've been following along with this story and I am not happy with how this has turned out. There isn't anything sexualized about the cover at all. She's fully clothed and the Joker just has his arm around her. Nothing about that image screams rape. If you put Robin in her place (complete with the single tear) I doubt we'd even be talking about this cover.
I don't have a problem with the cover either. From reading the articles, it seems most people who have a problem with it are either A) Batgirl fans who feel it doesn't fit the tone of her overall arc (which I can't comment on, I have no idea about her books) or B) Draws close comparisons with the Killing Joke, which is a great graphic novel, but in it Barbara is (***SPOILERS***) shot, paralyzed, and presumably sexually assaulted by Joker. Also, not sure how old Batgirl is in this run, but if she's a teenager, I can see how it could be "creepy" (but the Joker is creepy. That's kind of his thing). Either way, it seems as though the cover had nothing to do with story attached to it, so it makes sense to pull it.

It is a cool piece of work on it's own though.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #47
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://lby3.com/wir/

This is a list I made when it occurred to me that it's not that healthy to be a female character in comics. I'm curious to find out if this list seems somewhat disproportionate, and if so, what it means, really.

These are superheroines who have been either depowered, raped, or cut up and stuck in the refrigerator. I know I missed a bunch. Some have been revived, even improved -- although the question remains as to why they were thrown in the wood chipper in the first place.

I know I missed a bunch -- I just don't know my comics deaths the way I should. I'm not editorializing -- I'm just curious to find out what you guys think it means, if anything.

http://www.comicvine.com/women-in-re...rs/4015-43763/

Last edited by troutman; 03-18-2015 at 01:27 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:19 AM   #48
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like this summary of the cover controversy and ensuing analysis. http://io9.com/the-real-problems-wit...ove-1692184909
Old 03-19-2015, 04:39 AM   #49
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
B) Draws close comparisons with the Killing Joke, which is a great graphic novel, but in it Barbara is (***SPOILERS***) shot, paralyzed, and presumably sexually assaulted by Joker.
In TKJ,
Spoiler!

Quote:
Also, not sure how old Batgirl is in this run, but if she's a teenager, I can see how it could be "creepy" (but the Joker is creepy. .
This is the one the fans are having problems with, too. She's depicted (artstyle, maybe?) as looking like she's in her late teens, but they keep saying and showing that she's out of college. Most fans figure her to be in her mid-late 20's at this point.

Edit: Memory got the best of me, fixed TKJ summary

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 03-19-2015 at 07:02 AM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #50
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
In TKJ,
Spoiler!

Edit: Memory got the best of me, fixed TKJ summary
Yeah not sure what you edited, but the last part with the naked pictures is what people take as insinuation that Joker (or someone who works for him) sexually assaulted her.

Either way, I think the biggest point is that the cover had nothing to do with the written story attached. There's not a censorship problem because the even the artist requested it be removed as the cover. A full-size poster of it would be great though. Especially if you had other Killing Joke artwork.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #51
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Yeah not sure what you edited, but the last part with the naked pictures is what people take as insinuation that Joker (or someone who works for him) sexually assaulted her.

Either way, I think the biggest point is that the cover had nothing to do with the written story attached. There's not a censorship problem because the even the artist requested it be removed as the cover. A full-size poster of it would be great though. Especially if you had other Killing Joke artwork.
I had forgotten about the pics, so mentioned that there weren't any sexual overtones to what was done. When I remembered the pics, I had to change my summary.

Also now tempted to go back and re-read that. It's been a great many years.

The cover not only has nothing to do with the story inside of the comic, but is pretty much the direct opposite of what the current creative team is trying to do, which is a "lighter, fluffier" side to Batgirl, so it's really at odds with what's inside.

Makes me wonder though, if the cover had run during the "Death in the Family" arc, what the reaction would have been.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:53 AM   #52
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bit of a bump but I was hoping I could pick the brains of some of you guys who are into comics more than I've been in the past couple of years.

With the whole marvel universe reboot coming up, I'm looking at jumping back into things and I've been trying to find out what to follow but I really can't figure things out. I'm a fan of Iron Man, The Avengers, Spiderman or any larger event like the actual Secret Wars that's starting it off. As much as I'd love to be able to get them all, I'll probably only follow 2 or maybe 3 titles plus the occasional larger event. What do you guys recommend to follow?
Old 04-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #53
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Bit of a bump but I was hoping I could pick the brains of some of you guys who are into comics more than I've been in the past couple of years.

With the whole marvel universe reboot coming up, I'm looking at jumping back into things and I've been trying to find out what to follow but I really can't figure things out. I'm a fan of Iron Man, The Avengers, Spiderman or any larger event like the actual Secret Wars that's starting it off. As much as I'd love to be able to get them all, I'll probably only follow 2 or maybe 3 titles plus the occasional larger event. What do you guys recommend to follow?
I stopped collecting the Avenger team books - too inter-galactic and hard to follow. I don't want to have to understand quantum physics in a comic book. I get tired of the universe being at risk of ending in every issue.

I like the more personal stories - ex. Black Widow, Iron Fist, Moon Knight and Deadpool (he is "dying" next issue, is the series over?). The one team book I get now Is Guardians of the Galaxy. The new Star Wars series really has the look and feel of the original movie.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2015, 09:10 AM   #54
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hear you, I want something a little more easy to follow. Just wish there was one or two books that kind of summed up everything lol.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:30 AM   #55
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I hear you, I want something a little more easy to follow. Just wish there was one or two books that kind of summed up everything lol.
I haven't really read a universe spanning series since Civil War but based on that experience I imagine that there will be a lot of overlap for specific character runs. I'd probably (and might myself) just grab issues for specific characters (like Miles Morales) along with the main Secret Wars run. Maybe also grab this? http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Wars-Pr...dp/0785193995/
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #56
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Deadpool (he is "dying" next issue, is the series over?)..
Rumours are no. He's technically "died" at almost every run by every writer, only to re-appear immediately.

Some people feel they're just being incredibly meta about it this time.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #57
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Rumours are no. He's technically "died" at almost every run by every writer, only to re-appear immediately.

Some people feel they're just being incredibly meta about it this time.
The current writing team is the best. Are they gone after the "death"?
Old 04-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #58
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
The current writing team is the best. Are they gone after the "death"?
As I said before, I haven't really kept up with books after Way left such a sour taste in my mouth but from what I am reading, yes they are done at the conclusion of this arc.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 04-08-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #59
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
I stopped collecting the Avenger team books - too inter-galactic and hard to follow. I don't want to have to understand quantum physics in a comic book. I get tired of the universe being at risk of ending in every issue.

I like the more personal stories - ex. Black Widow, Iron Fist, Moon Knight and Deadpool (he is "dying" next issue, is the series over?). The one team book I get now Is Guardians of the Galaxy. The new Star Wars series really has the look and feel of the original movie.
I slogged through Hickman's runs on FF, Avengers, and New Avengers. And while I enjoyed it on some level, on another level it was like trying to follow an opaque flowchart. So I hear your concerns.

One nice thing about Secret Wars is that everything's being re-started and things will be in flux -- so you can jump into anything and you'll be in the same place as everyone else. Even if you don't follow the core mini series, there will be tons of new books featuring a mix of characters, classic arcs/runs, and past events.

For Avengers, A-Force, Civil War, 1872, or Giant Size Little Marvels: AvsX will be offered. Iron Man will be featured in Armor Wars. Spider-Man will be in Spider-Verse and ASM: Renew Your Vows. There will be pretty good creative teams on A-Force and Civil War. ASM:RYV looks like it will have the core Spider-Man creators and may be worth checking out.

For Deadpool, Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars may be fun. It takes place in the original Secret Wars mini from the 80s. And the Guardians team will be doing Guardians of Knowhere.

It's going to be a nutty summer and a new status quo with new books will be around by late-summer to late-fall. So enjoy the ride, or wait until later to check out the aftermath.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #60
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

For DC folks, Conergence and its associated books begin this week. Looks like that could be a wild ride too.