Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #401
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
A newer book that really caught me by surprise has been Something is Killing the Children. Creative team is James Tynion IV, Werther Dell'Edera, Miquel Muerto, Andworld Design, Michelle Ankley, Gwen Waller, and Eric Harburn. It's a moody, atmospheric horror story, the kind of thing that is really not up my alley -- usually. It's really, really good. A teaser:

Sample artwork behind the tags:
Spoiler!

And a link to a free preview PDF
I picked up the first four issues of Something is Killing the Children based on this post. I’m not a horror/suspense comic guy either but I’ve really enjoyed it so far. Creepy and a little shocking at times. I’d recommend it.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #402
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I read the first trade of Gideon Falls by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino and it's fantastic. Maybe because i just finished The Outsider on HBO but it reads like an excellent HBO quality TV series. I'm not surprised it's been picked up by James Wan to be adapted for TV.

It's a horror series and worth checking out if you're looking for something other than the usual superhero stuff.

The 4th trade comes out in May.

You can read the first issue online here: https://imagecomics.com/read/gideon-falls

Last edited by KTrain; 03-12-2020 at 09:09 AM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:37 AM   #403
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

What's everyone quarantine reading these days?

After reading Gideon Falls I fell down a Lemire hole and started reading a bunch of his older stuff.

I started with and finished Sweet Tooth and loved it. I'd seen it on shelf a dozen times over the years but the art isn't usually my cup of tea. The story is complete now with 40 issues and definitely worth your time reading. It's a very weird but touching post-apocalyptic story. In the same vein as The Road or Last of Us.

Then I moved on to Black Hammer by Lemire (Dark Horse). It's like if you mashed Justice League and Avengers into one comic with a dash of Astro City. It's a bit satire and bit homage. It's 13 issues long so a decently quick read. Until you realize Lemire's made numerous sequels to focus on various characters in the universe and they're all fun reads.

So I read Sherlock Frankenstein and the Legion of Evil, a mini-series about the main villain of Black Hammer universe.

Followed that up with the mini-series Doctor Star & the Kingdom of Lost Tomorrow min-series. If you liked Starman by James Robinson (one of my favourite series ever) you'll love this one. It's one of the more poignant superhero comics I've ever read.

Next up are Black Hammer: Age of Doom, The Quantum Age and Black Hammer, 45. I still need to read Lemire's Essex County too.

Nothing but time these days so we might as catch up on some reading.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #404
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

There are probably better more detailed articles out there but I’m too lazy look. Anyways this is super neat.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7304200/r...ion-vancouver/

Quote:
A collections of hundreds of rare, well-preserved comic books found in Vancouver more than 20 years ago has been given a special certification.

Many of the 1,300 books are from the “golden age” of comics in the 1940s and 1950s, with titles including Batman, Detective Comics, the Flash and Wonder Woman.

A third-party certification has now determined that about a third of the books in the collection are the best-preserved copies known to exist.
Quote:
The collection starts in 1944 and continues sporadically right up into the early 1960s, Shaughnessy added.
Quote:
Shaughnessy had the books assessed by an independent grading company called Certified Guarantee Company (CGC), which has granted the collection official “pedigree” status, something it has given to just 60 other collections.

“Every now and then, a collection is found that is so exceptional it becomes recognized as a pedigree.”
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #405
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Do comics degrade faster in a damp climate like Vancouver?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:52 PM   #406
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Do comics degrade faster in a damp climate like Vancouver?
If it's damp enough for mold or water damage that's an issue. Being too dry can be an issue too. Glues and binding agents in the paper will fall apart if it's too dry.

It sounded like this guy went to pretty far lengths to preserve these books, which is why many are in best condition for that issue.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 07:05 AM   #407
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

CGC is one of the worst things to happen to comics. Seeing a comic encased in plastic with a number next to makes me hate the collectors that keep it going.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 07:34 AM   #408
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

For comics like these I don’t mind it.

But for anything not golden/silver age it should legit be illegal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 11:23 AM   #409
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
CGC is one of the worst things to happen to comics. Seeing a comic encased in plastic with a number next to makes me hate the collectors that keep it going.
If you actually want to read most comics, you can find digital versions, so I have less of an issue with it now. Especially for Golden Age comics, I see no reason why, for example, a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 shouldn't be encased and preserved. No one should be just randomly flipping through that for the purpose of reading it.

For modern books, there are so many of them, that you can quite easily find an ungraded copy, so I don't mind if people into the grading like to preserve the book.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:52 PM   #410
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I definitely get it for the old stuff but when I see a comic from the last couple decades in one it makes my heart ache for the industry.

The problem isn't preserving a book though. Seeing a 9.8 next to a marked up price on a book that came out last year gives me in flashbacks of the idiocy of the late 90s that caused the market to crash.

As with a lot of media these days, it seems like collecting comics is pricing out kids. Getting a new audience for the medium is tougher and tougher.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:21 PM   #411
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I definitely get it for the old stuff but when I see a comic from the last couple decades in one it makes my heart ache for the industry.

The problem isn't preserving a book though. Seeing a 9.8 next to a marked up price on a book that came out last year gives me in flashbacks of the idiocy of the late 90s that caused the market to crash.

As with a lot of media these days, it seems like collecting comics is pricing out kids. Getting a new audience for the medium is tougher and tougher.
I do know what you are saying, but I disagree that this is being caused by grading though.

If anything grading alleviates a lot of the upward pressure on the rest of the market. A non-graded or sub-graded copy for a kid is still going to be very cheap. Meanwhile the rarer pristine copy appeals to the collector.

The rise of the collected storyline in graphic novels also makes it a lot cheaper to read the good stories. As a non-collector, this is now primarily what I do.

Even then, at the end of the day, the kids can always read the online versions. Doesn't appeal to me as much, as I still like the physical pages...although I should get over this from both a cost and environmental point of view. However, it's not like in the past, where I would just never get to read certain issues. The subscription services are pretty insane for content.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:15 AM   #412
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm definitely shouting at clouds about this.

The inflation on comic prices is crazy but they're also not selling the numbers they used to so they have to compensate. They throw a bunch of titles at the wall to see what sticks. Every issue has multiple covers. They seem to restart series at #1 every few years or less.

I just miss the days of my visiting the grocery store and my Mom buying me a comic because it was a $1.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:08 AM   #413
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

The inflation on comic prices is crazy but they're also not selling the numbers they used to so they have to compensate. They throw a bunch of titles at the wall to see what sticks. Every issue has multiple covers. They seem to restart series at #1 every few years or less.

I just miss the days of my visiting the grocery store and my Mom buying me a comic because it was a $1.
Those days are long over. The rebooting/multiple covers phase started in the 90s. If anything comics have gotten less gimicky since I was a teenager. In the 90s so many comics started coming in plastic bags, filled with all sorts of junk. But if you wanted to actually read the book, you needed to rip open the bag.

Overall, I kind of like the grading phase in some ways. For example, Spawn #1 is a really common book and worth next to nothing. However, if you can find that one mint copy, it's value goes way up. It adds another level to collecting, without taking away from those that just want to read the story or have a not so mint copy.

Last edited by blankall; 09-01-2020 at 08:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #414
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's definitely different collecting now than it was even 5 years ago. There are the regular covers, variants, retailer exclusives, and then multiple printings for each issue. Plus now they have these comic shop exclusive variants that are commissioned from artists. It's a bit overwhelming walking into a shop and seeing 15 to 20 covers for the same issue (ASM #1 or i guess #802?).

Also, with going back to legacy numbering marvel is really trying to double dip their milestone issues. ASM #850 (series issue #49) comes out this September with like 15 variants (plus all the exclusives and reprints) and two weeks later they are throwing up multiple issues for issue #50! (#851 legacy numbering). It's a bit crazy.

But for kids it can still be fun. There are $3 issues of kid themed books, there are $1 reprints of classic issues, plus lots of shops had big sales all summer for free comic book day.

My son has been collecting Venom but he only grabs one issue when it releases every 3 weeks. He just checks out pullbox on picks out his favorite cover from the multiple that come out with each issue and I add it to my pulls. He usually stays away from the reprints but did insist on grabbing this cover recently...

Spoiler!
Old 09-07-2020, 11:19 AM   #415
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

So you can grab almost all Black Panther comics for free on Comixology right now. Only the individual issues are free so you have to scroll down to issues and you can add all from there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/...omixology_are/

In the spoilers should be an aggregated list from the above reddit thread.

Spoiler!
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #416
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

That MK Black Panther by Chris Priest is top notch from 1998.

Also, paging Troutman. Or is he too old for digital?
Old 09-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #417
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Pro tip, search black panther, go to issues, add all to cart. 256 free comics. There may be more but that’s the big chunk.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #418
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

One minor thought on the grading issue... When you buy a copy off of the shelf now, you know immediately that it's value is zero. Grading has killed the collector who would take care of their bought copy, which in turn is the reason why older copies had any value at all, because it became the duty of the consumer to protect the copy themselves.

I have no doubt that this has hurt sales, which caused a raise in prices to compensate, which also hurt sales. Which alienated the casual buyer, and priced out kids, which hurts future sales.

I agree that grading should only be for comics considered 'classic'. Maybe 30 years and older, so each year a new crop is available to be graded, and prices will again rely on the ability of the consumer to preserve the issue.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #419
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Check out mycomicshop.com for why I hate grading. They have like 100 graded copies of uncanny X-Men 266, gambit first appearance. Like why? If there’s 10,000 NM copies in the world, CGC has no business grading it and only idiots buy CGC versions when they could buy a regular copy for 1/10th the price.

It has ruined collecting for readers at the expense of speculators. We didn’t learn anything in the 90s bubble, just changed foul/chrome to 100 variants and moved the focus to even more expensive items with CGC auto increasing the price tenfold for no reason.

Thankfully digital comics and tpb’s have largely made issue collecting irrelevant.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #420
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Thanks to cDnStealth and Cecil, I just ordered 100+ Black Panther comics for free.

I've never really done the digital comics thing but this is a great opportunity to try it out.

Thanks for the heads up.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote