Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:
Default Ongoing Comic Books Thread

Edit: Updated the title. Open season on all comic news.

For the comic book fans:

After the next event, Secret Wars, Marvel announced that they're merging the Marvel Universe and Ultimate Universes and relaunching all their books.

Quote:
"The Ultimate Universe, the Marvel Universe, they're going to slap together," Alonso said. "Imagine two pizzas: They're going to combine toppings, some toppings are going to drop off. And that is the Marvel Universe moving forward. It's more than the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe, it's all the universes you can imagine. That is the Marvel Universe going forward."
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=58625

Last edited by KTrain; 01-20-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Edited Title
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I thought this was related to the rumors of Marvel getting the rights to Spiderman for the third Avengers movie

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we also make this an ongoing thread for comics related discussion? Maybe add that to the title? Just a thought, if you'd rather not I've been considering making such a thread for a while.

Secret Wars is going to be crazy. I'm really interested to see how the event unfolds, and how whatever remains carries on afterwards.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 01-20-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #4
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cover for Secret Wars #1 and #2:

Spoiler!

All 8 covers for the limited series will be by Alex Ross.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 01-20-2015 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Added #1
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #5
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I put this in the Recommend thread, but figured this was better to have some discussion:

I heard some speculation on IGN that Marvel is purposely giving Fox the middle finger on the comics side. The death of Logan is seemingly (conveniently) coinciding with the death of Deadpool and Marvel officially stopping the production of Fantastic 4. They are also apparently taking the "mutant" tag off Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver, presumably to become Inhumans, which Marvel has a movie slated for.

It appears that Marvel is not too keen on spending resources to make what is essentially advertising for Fox films, while simultaneously giving them new story ideas.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I read that too. It's really crappy for the fans because those characters are some of my favourites.

I get it from a business standpoint for Marvel but it's really taking a dump on your fans because of mistakes your company made in the past.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a ton of X-stuff happening in Secret Wars, with a number of classic settings/universes being incorporated into it. So I don't think whatever comes out of it for X-stuff will mess too much with the X-Men movie universe. Even if Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are retconned for now to be Inhumans or just something else not X-related, they've been all over the map for so much of the past that I imagine they can still play in the MCU and X-Men movie-verse going forward.

FF I'm less sure of. The movie seems to be going way off on its own path for its reboot, and its possible comics creative people just aren't a fan and want to distance themselves from this movie. Then again, the FF are figuring prominently in the events leading up to Secret Wars, so who knows?

With 50+ years of back story so far, I can't imagine both the FF and X-Men continuing in some recognizable fashion after this event. We'll see!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not going to be collecting them myself, but did anyone else here pick up Star Wars #1 last week? Or is anyone else planning on collecting the new Star Wars comics form Marvel?

Star Wars #1 is the highest selling comic since the days of the 90s speculator boom and bust.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=58538

The creative team on the Star Wars book is really, really solid. I only know of Jason Aaron from his run on Wolverine and The X-Men volume 1, but that book was so entertaining that I'm interested in following what else he gets up to. And Jon Cassady was fantastic in Astonishing X-Men with Joss Whedon.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #9
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Edit: Updated the title. Open season on all comic news.

For the comic book fans:

After the next event, Secret Wars, Marvel announced that they're merging the Marvel Universe and Ultimate Universes and relaunching all their books.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=58625
Not sure how I feel about this. Maybe it's because I'm an older fan now, but not a fan of the ultimate universe. That being said you do have to clean a comic universe up every fifteen years or so to keep story lines coherent and define what is cannon.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #10
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meant to post this earlier, looks like it expires tomorrow around 11 AM local time. Pay what you want for Image Comics "Firsts" humble bundle. $333 value.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Details
Spoiler!

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 01-20-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #11
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been out of comics for far too long. I kind of stopped after AVX because of life and I moved to a really small town where the closest place to get comics is an hour drive.

Anyone feel like giving me a quick rundown of what's going on, what's coming up and what I've missed.

I had a pretty amazing collection of older books but had to sell some of them in the past year. I like getting newer comics but they don't usually have or hold much value so it's just for story value. I might start trying to get back some of the books I've sold or even upgrades so if anyone has a decent collection they're looking to start moving, let me know.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #12
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If you're interested in getting back into comics but don't want the clutter, the Marvel Unlimited service is pretty great.

http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

$10 a month or $70 a year. The "new" releases are about a year old now. 15,000+ comics to read. They also have collections so you can read the entire Age of Apocalypse or Civil War events in order.

I read about 100+ issues of Peter David's X-Factor in a month or so to make sure I made it worth my while. Now I read 10 or so comics a week before bed.

I don't reread comics like I did when I was a kid so it's great if you just want to try some different series and not have boxes and boxes of comics in your storage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #13
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a real summary in a "view from 30,000 feet" kind of way, you could check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publica...r_events#2010s and just read the descriptions for events since AVX, and see if anything catches your interest.

I like supporting local comic shops, but honestly the services that have allowed me to get back into comics again are the digital comics offered by Marvel and subscription services like Marvel Unlimited. I don't read a lot of DC and Image, so I don't know if they offer similar services, but I imagine they do.

What books did you collect that you're looking to get into? I'm seriously considering going completely digital outside of trades and collected editions, and I have five long boxes (primarily X-books and Hulk) that I am considering parting ways with. Maybe PM if this is something you want to discuss further.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #14
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I stopped reading comics about 3 years ago when we moved into our new place just because I had no where to put them. I still have about 10 boxes full of comics at a buddies place I need to move at some point.

I agree with supporting the local comic shops and I actually enjoy going in and picking out the comics. Brings back some nostalgia and every couple weeks you pick a different comic you wouldn't normally read. I've found a lot of good veins that way, like Sinister Six for example. However, not having to deal with all of the comics in storage is a bonus on its own.

edit: wow this Marvel Unlimited is very cool and well laid out. When you select a series to read does it put them in order for you including tie ins? Or is up to you to track it down on Wikipedia?

Last edited by GreenLantern; 01-21-2015 at 11:35 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:39 AM   #15
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
edit: wow this Marvel Unlimited is very cool and well laid out. When you select a series to read does it put them in order for you including tie ins? Or is up to you to track it down on Wikipedia?
I found that some of the events are in reading order, but some only list the core series and tie ins in separate lists. So kind of hit and miss.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #16
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The books I had to sell that I"m looking for were all CGC graded and of high value (needed money fast). I had things like Incredible Hulk 180-181 in 8 and 8.5 Giant Size X Men 1 at an 8 and things like that. I sold a bunch of Walking Dead books too but I only collected those for their value, not for any other reason.

I still love to go to the comic shop when I get a chance and support the local business and it's fun to have the actual book in my hand (I'm not much of a digital reader anyway). I'm going to check out that Wikipedia site for sure though as i can look it over from work lol.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #17
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

In similar circumstances, I ditched my own copy of Giant Size X-Men #1 during University. Wish I had held onto it, it was the best copy I had ever seen. It must have been at least an 8 or 8.5. Ah well.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #18
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I fell off from comics about two-three years ago as well.
At the end of the Cable & Deadpool run I think I was at the peak of the number of books I was picking up on a monthly basis. I think it was also right after that the wheels fell off of what I was reading. Whether it was my tastes changing, or just really disliking the new writers on all the books which seemed to happen at the same time. Daniel Way took over Deadpool and did everything in his power to turn the character into a one note joke with no depth of character or traits other than "Zany". Simon Furman left Transformers after being forced to close is arc early so they could transition into what I'd describe as a bunch of cartoon rehashing. Loeb got his filthy hooks into the Ultimate Universe and just ruined everything he could for the sake of ruining in. With those three just going off the rails, I started going to the shop less frequently and eventually fell behind on everything I was reading to the point I just stopped reading.

That said, with all the movie talk in my mind I recently picked up the final TPBs of the Deadpool Classics that I had been missing and decided to check in on where his writing is taking him these days. With the abomination that was Daniel Way's run on Deadpool being over and Posehn's run being as close to Kelly/Nicieza as you can hope, I am tempted to start going back in again on a monthly basis.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #19
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Posehn's work is my favorite since Priest did Black Panther.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #20
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Posehn's work is my favorite since Priest did Black Panther.
I just reread the Mithras arc. If he can get close to that with just how fleshed out he makes Deadpool, I will be excited to read it.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote