Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Thumbs down Mega-threads

Can someone explain the logic of mega-threads to me?

"Kassian to have a hearing" thread started. 600 posts of discussion later and we finally get the news he will be suspended for 2 games. What is the more user friendly scenario?

A) Discussion of the new news carries on in the old thread for the old news beginning at post 632.

B) A new thread is started for the new news.

In scenario A, those who have followed all 600 posts of the thread see the news as it breaks. Those who gave up after 300 posts have to either search frustratingly for the relevant sureloss post, or, if the thread starter has edited the OP, return to the first page and follow the link to see new discussion of new news.

In scenario B, we click on the new thread and discussion commences.

Scenario A is messy, convoluted, unorganized, and excludes those who weren't part of the initial discussion. For some reason, users of this forum fear starting new threads. If no one wants to do it, fine. But if someone does and the new thread and new posts for the new news is amalgamated into the old thread with the old posts for the old news, it's even messier than before.

If this is our forum logic, then why do we have a seperate GDT, GT, and PGT? How about we keep everything in one thread? The OP can update the first post to tell us which post contains the puck drop and we are off. The OP can then update the first post to tell us when the buzzer went and we can discuss what happened post game. Why not? Because it would be ridiculous, cluttered, confuse discussion, and disuade new sign ups from lurking or posting (assuming they have a twitter account, facebook account, work email, blood sample, carrier pigeon, etc required for sign up). I don't get where the fear comes from, but people are sometimes bumping YEARS old threads to add some new news.

It's completely baffling to me and if someone could explain, that would be swell, thanks.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 06:44 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

100% this. Threads are free for a reason.

Quote:
For some reason, users of this forum fear starting new threads.
Because starting new threads is frequently met with inexplicable derision.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
sun
Old 01-14-2020, 12:22 AM   #3
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Keep fighting the good fight, Scorpion.
The Following User Says Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 01:13 AM   #4
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I hate having to scroll through pages of comments to find the relevant news where an update has been posted. Sometimes I scroll and other times I say forget it and move on to another topic.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:43 PM   #5
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Using the Kassian thread as an example, the news of the suspension could easily be the start of a new thread. Somebody can also report the old thread for closure; if one of us doesn't see it first. I know the report function says for problematic posts. However as long as you give the reason along the lines of "please close as a new thread was started" - that's fine.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #6
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I did start a new thread, but it was merged with the old one. Good to know about the report feature though, thanks.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:40 PM   #7
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Using the Kassian thread as an example, the news of the suspension could easily be the start of a new thread. Somebody can also report the old thread for closure; if one of us doesn't see it first. I know the report function says for problematic posts. However as long as you give the reason along the lines of "please close as a new thread was started" - that's fine.
A new thread was started, it was Textcritic who closed the new one then merged it with the old.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too often the person who starts a new thread gets jumped on and told, "Already being discussed in xxx (megathread)".

It's one thing to keep the discussions together but I've long since given up trying to navigate a thread once I'm a few pages behind.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post: