Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2022, 09:22 PM   #1101
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Wild stuff. I think the Chiefs cruise to the title now.
Yeah last two games are a coronation probably.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:08 PM   #1102
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Wild stuff. I think the Chiefs cruise to the title now.
That Ram's defence is no joke. They were supposed to cruise last year to the title too..
Old 01-23-2022, 10:10 PM   #1103
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Rams would be at home too.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:12 PM   #1104
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Rams would be at home too.
Not next week against the 49ers....
Old 01-23-2022, 10:15 PM   #1105
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
The Chiefs and the Bills was my Superbowl this year. Nothing next week or in the Superbowl will match what we saw at Arrowhead stadium on Sunday night.
It's unfortunate they are both in the AFC.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:17 PM   #1106
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Not next week against the 49ers....
Nor in the Super Bowl. Beautiful stadium but zero home field advantage for the Rams.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:14 AM   #1107
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

OT rule change for the playoffs?

Other team should get the ball after a touchdown.

Offences are much better today compared to when the rule was put in place so why should a TD end it and a FG not?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 12:20 AM   #1108
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
That Ram's defence is no joke. They were supposed to cruise last year to the title too..
Missing two tackles, Mahomes still nearly had them within one score going into the 4th, if his WRs could only catch balls that hit them in the hands or face.

If Honey Badger can’t go, they’re in real tough against the Bengals, however.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:34 AM   #1109
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mahomes is so ridiculous that even if the Bills had squibbed it he probably would have pulled out a 40 yard behind the back throw to Tyreek to get them into FG range anyway. The Bengals ended up getting it down to 0:00 the first time essentially by accident, but last night shows why you gotta try and bleed the whole clock. Bucs game was kinda the same thing, Fournette probably should have gone down at the 1 yard line and they should have tried to bleed it out, score with 0:00, and go for two to win. Some highly questionably decision making from the defensive coordinators certainly was a massive factor in both teams losing yesterday, but offense now is just so advanced that they could call it "correct" and the offenses would still get it done.

It was probably the most exciting playoff weekend ever, although pretty clearly one of those games was not like the others. No offense to the first three games, but they all had significant elements of comedy in them, yesterday's first game being one of the funniest games I can remember. But last night lived up to, and exceeded, all expectations. Certainly hope it becomes an annual playoff game between these two, both quarterbacks clearly very special and able to make things happen not many guys ever could. Feel for the Bills and their fans, finally get Brady gone, get an elite QB, and now Mahomes might be there every year to stop them. But their time will surely come.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:52 AM   #1110
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Field goals yes. Touchdowns are not automatic. Teams get stuffed needing one yard all the time. You can't bleed the clock down then get stuffed. Henry got stuffed twice this weekend needing 1 yard.

If Buffalo had failed on 4th and 13 that would have been an idiotic drive bleeding the clock at 9 minutes while down 5.

Last edited by GirlySports; 01-24-2022 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:22 AM   #1111
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Defensive stops are not automatic either. The issue is control, and in an end of game situation you would always rather have your offense with the control then your defense. Even ignoring how good offense is now, the rules are so slanted in offense's favor that it only increases the desire to have your offense trying to close the game out. It's why I advocated the Chiefs allowing Buffalo to score ASAP last night because I sure as hell would rather give Mahomes three to four minutes to tie or win the game then hoping my defense can make a hold. The old days of "trusting your defense" are over, you trust your QB taking up 20% of the cap and if you don't then you need to find a QB you do trust to do that.

But to the Bucs specifically, you have Tom Brady, the king of the sneak. One yard should be pretty doable, especialy when your defense was awful all game. Only reason that wasn't a 30 point win for the Rams is they totally melted down. Otherwise they moved the ball with ease on the Bucs D, and sure enough given 40 seconds they worked it down in essentially one play. "Trusting your D" won you football games in 1992, but it's asking to lose in 2022.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:22 AM   #1112
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Field goals yes. Touchdowns are not automatic. Teams get stuffed needing one yard all the time. You can't bleed the clock down then get stuffed. Henry got stuffed twice this weekend needing 1 yard.

If Buffalo had failed on 4th and 13 that would have been an idiotic drive bleeding the clock at 9 minutes while down 5.
More then one person in the room yelled “go down on the 1 fournette”

Brady is the master of the 1 yard sneak . But in the moment it’s hard to process that thought (it was 4th and he was running for the 1st down and broke through”

The Bills couldn’t have done a lot differently to bleed to clock on offense . But they sure played a weird guard the sidelines D when KC still had all their timeouts and sidelines didn’t matter
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:44 AM   #1113
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does a squib kick necessarily take more time off the clock? Chiefs could have just taken a knee on recovery and possibly had better field position with same about of time off the clock (maybe one less second?).
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:08 AM   #1114
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Does a squib kick necessarily take more time off the clock? Chiefs could have just taken a knee on recovery and possibly had better field position with same about of time off the clock (maybe one less second?).
It depends how far it gets until someone fields it. If you can kick it to the 5 or 10 yard line type of thing and force a return. There is some risk a return could get it out to the 40, but that would also take 5 or 6 seconds. Which to me is worth the risk because it's like one 15 yard play for the offence.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:15 AM   #1115
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last night truly showed why teams go all in to get that franchise QB. its funny to me that no matter how many chances certain team like the Jets and bears get, they never get it right. Allen and Mahomes were no sure thing but their teams are set for a long time. The Pats are decent but the AFE east should belong to the Bills for quite awhile.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:24 AM   #1116
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
It depends how far it gets until someone fields it. If you can kick it to the 5 or 10 yard line type of thing and force a return. There is some risk a return could get it out to the 40, but that would also take 5 or 6 seconds. Which to me is worth the risk because it's like one 15 yard play for the offence.
This is the smarter play than a squib, squib would likely be an instant give up unless it squibs down deep. You might get one second for a squib, but potentially give the Chiefs the ball beyond the 25 a touchback would. Kick it to the 5 and they are in a tough spot: field it and you probably don't get back to the 25 while losing 4-5 seconds; let it bounce and it could die before the goal line and then you are definitely done.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:37 AM   #1117
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
This is the smarter play than a squib, squib would likely be an instant give up unless it squibs down deep. You might get one second for a squib, but potentially give the Chiefs the ball beyond the 25 a touchback would. Kick it to the 5 and they are in a tough spot: field it and you probably don't get back to the 25 while losing 4-5 seconds; let it bounce and it could die before the goal line and then you are definitely done.
Yah I guess my point is don’t kick a touchback and you basically make them have to hail Mary.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:40 AM   #1118
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Defensive stops are not automatic either. The issue is control, and in an end of game situation you would always rather have your offense with the control then your defense. Even ignoring how good offense is now, the rules are so slanted in offense's favor that it only increases the desire to have your offense trying to close the game out. It's why I advocated the Chiefs allowing Buffalo to score ASAP last night because I sure as hell would rather give Mahomes three to four minutes to tie or win the game then hoping my defense can make a hold. The old days of "trusting your defense" are over, you trust your QB taking up 20% of the cap and if you don't then you need to find a QB you do trust to do that.

But to the Bucs specifically, you have Tom Brady, the king of the sneak. One yard should be pretty doable, especialy when your defense was awful all game. Only reason that wasn't a 30 point win for the Rams is they totally melted down. Otherwise they moved the ball with ease on the Bucs D, and sure enough given 40 seconds they worked it down in essentially one play. "Trusting your D" won you football games in 1992, but it's asking to lose in 2022.

I get it but that's too extreme. I think you want less do or die situations. If you are down you want more possessions not more. Unless that's old school and I'm really out of it.

We saw what happened to Baltimore this year. Still have to depend on your defense somewhat or let the other offense fail. I would take Buffalo going 4th and 13 everytime over me having to convert something do or die.

For TB that was just bad defense. If you are going to blitz on defense you might as well have gone for 2.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:46 AM   #1119
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

If Tre White wasn't injured the Bills win that game. He makes such a huge difference for them. What a tough loss.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:57 AM   #1120
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
If Tre White wasn't injured the Bills win that game. He makes such a huge difference for them. What a tough loss.

I'd counter with: if Mathieu doesn't get hurt, the Bills don't get one of the last two TDs. Works both ways.
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post: