Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 02:41 AM   #1221
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Bob Mackenzie speculating on tsn that the Lighting may be looking for a player, top prospect and pick for Drouin.

Yikes
He's going to be looking for a long time then.

Drouin is a top prospect. His value should be another top prospect or draft pick. Simple as that.

The Lightning made a complete hash of this fiasco right from the very start. It highlights the fact that great players don't always make the best General Managers.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:52 AM   #1222
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
From the Fourth Period
Quote:
The Panthers have expressed interest in several players, including Winnipeg Jets captain Andrew Ladd, Arizona Coyotes right wing Mikkel Boedker, Carolina Hurricanes captain Eric Staal, and Calgary Flames defenseman Kris Russell, among others.
Ladd would make sense as he's played for Tallon before and can add the extra grit with goal scoring that would be helpful in the playoffs. Same goes for Boedker, but to a much lesser degree. Staal is a center, and unless Bolland is done for the year and I don't know about it, it makes little sense to get another veteran overpriced center. Russell would likely only be insurance because nearly every defenseman currently on the Panthers is better than Russell.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:10 AM   #1223
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it weird that people are using the St. Louis trade as a negative against Yzerman, seeing as I feel like Tampa won that trade handily.

Yzerman has been one of the better GMs in the league IMO and has built a contender in Tampa.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 06:07 AM   #1224
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I find it weird that people are using the St. Louis trade as a negative against Yzerman, seeing as I feel like Tampa won that trade handily.

Yzerman has been one of the better GMs in the league IMO and has built a contender in Tampa.
I think people are holding the fact he had a star player and now a prospect demand a trade from his organization. In addition he signed his superstar to a contract that takes him right to UFA and has not signed him. If Stamkos walks there is something fishy about how Yzerman menus his team
Old 02-25-2016, 06:10 AM   #1225
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

And it's not exactly like he stared from scratch either. He started off with a pretty great roster to begin with.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:32 AM   #1226
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post

He did get very good value. But that doesn't change that St Louis wanted out and was soured on the way he was treated. Now you have the Drouin situation and the Stamkos situation. It is starting to sound like Colorado East.

Time will tell if this is a fair statement, but to me this reeks of someone reading "The Detroit Model for Dummies" and mucking up the implement.

That said, if he manages to get good value for Drouin and he signs Stamkos then all is well.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:09 AM   #1227
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Wideman for Carle makes some sense but what are you giving up for Drouin? Yzerman values this guy as a top 5 pick. There's no way picking up the extra year on Carle is worth Drouin, no way.
Agree totally, some of these offers for Drouin are laughable. Wideman and Colborne for Carle and Drouin, gimme a break.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:18 AM   #1228
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

But Wideman makes 5.25 million. He's a superstar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BurningSteel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 07:34 AM   #1229
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loob job View Post
Agree totally, some of these offers for Drouin are laughable. Wideman and Colborne for Carle and Drouin, gimme a break.
I don't disagree with what you are saying on some of the offers, but Drouin hasn't done anything this season to make one believe he'll be a quality player. There is a lot of risk associated with taking player like this.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:38 AM   #1230
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think when a deal does go down for Drouin it will be something like

Drouin + Carle
for
Wideman + Sieloff + 3rd

something like that give or take. I dont think they will get a top end prospect, but a couple B level prospects/picks and a roster player. With their cap situation that would also mean cap coming back in any deal.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #1231
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

PIT LA & TBL interested in Russell

http://nesn.com/2016/02/nhl-trade-ru...-kris-russell/
Old 02-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #1232
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

with all these teams interested in Russell, who would you take if you could get a 1 for 1 in a deal involving Russell?

Drouin
NICHUSHKIN
Murray
or someone else I'm missing.

I know the odds of getting one of those guys in a 1 for 1 is a long shot but if you could, who would you prefer?
Old 02-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #1233
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would prefer the Flames target Drouin from Tampa rather than picks for Russell. If we have to add a prospect so be it but rather get Drouin than their 1st this year.

I would move any of our 2013 1st rounders on the farm (Porier, Shinkaruk, Klimchuk) with Russell for Drouin as I think there is a decent chance the flames sign Russell in the summer.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #1234
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Isn't the draft really weak after the top 10? I would target a prospect for Russell or Hudler.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #1235
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Wow. So much wrongness. Yzerman entered the league right out of the draft, so I suspect he's open minded about "seasoning". He played Paquette pretty quickly, Kucherov too.

Yzerman didn't run St. Louis out of town. St. Louis wanted out, and if you believe him, it wasn't because of Yzerman. If you don't believe him, then he was pouting over the Olympics.

From all accounts, Stamkos has been offered some pretty good money. And if you believe Duhatschek, he's going to re-sign. If so he won't be loosed.

And I'm not sure why other players have the same deficiencies as "Druoin". Why would that be? I'm pretty sure the ones that do are not the ones signing $6M deals.
Few things;

You're making my argument for me. how many players over the last two decades have made the red wings line up as a teenager? Dylan Larkin? is there another? Did a single teen play for the red wings while Yzerman was captain of Stanley cup winning teams or when he was AGM? Kucherov didn't play till he was 20. Paquette, also 20.

No matter which side you choose the St. Louis divorce was ugly. He was popular in a non-traditional hockey market and the last of the Richards, Lecavilier, Boyle, Khabibulin of questionable departures. Yzerman made that deal cause he had to, not because he wanted to.

Stamkos has been reported to be offered 8.5 million/season. Although Duhatschek is a great writer, it is only his belief that Stamkos will stay. In other words, he really has no idea. Few things to consider though, before Cooper arrived on scene Stamkos was in the discussion of 'best player in the game'. The Lightning have a number of players to lock up including Victor Hedman and are headed to a for a cap crunch. During their Stanley Cup run Stamkos was fifth in ice time for forwards. If that were to continue, why would the Lighting sign him for even 8.5 and why would Stamkos stay or at least pass up the opportunity to go to market? Many believe he can/will be looking for Kane, Toews, Kopitar money.

We don't know what Drouin is worth. He hasn't been given the same opportunity to play as, say, Sean Monahan.

Thanks for sharing your 'rightness' though. Please, don't hold back, that's good stuff.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #1236
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think there is a decent chance the flames sign Russell in the summer.
God I hope not.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #1237
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Big trade today! I can almost smell it...
Old 02-25-2016, 08:30 AM   #1238
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Detroit hasn't changed their methodology when it comes to drafting and development.

What Detroit has had in the past is a very good European scouting staff, and a relatively poor North American one by comparison. Couple that with the fact that they have been a pretty good team for a very long time - a team that picks later in the draft (and almost assuredly prospects picked later in the draft need more development time than players selected earlier in the draft) and a team that has very good depth - these prospects seemed to always be 'over-ripening' in the AHL/Europe.

Larkin making the team hasn't changed anything. He just happens to be a pick that Detroit selected either by 'luck' or 'better scouting' (take your pick - I think they have been scouting better lately in North America) who hasn't needed that long development time, and found himself on a team that has not been as deep as they were in the past.

Babcock especially was a coach that preferred to have guys whom he trusted on the team ahead of rookies (as most coaches do), so it seemed even more like this was some methodical system on Detroit's part. Just a by-product of having a deep team, and a much better scouting staff in Europe than North America that continually drafted well later in every round, and throughout the draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 08:31 AM   #1239
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

@TOfan

What point are you trying to make? Are you trying to say Drouin is getting a raw deal? Because using Kucherov and Paquette don't help your case. Are you saying these other guys have the same problems in their games that Drouin has, and has refused to work on? Again, using Kucherov and Paquette don't help your case. Drouin's lack of opportunity are on him. He was given a roster spot to work with and given top end talent to work with. He made the decision to ignore the demands of the coach and play the game his way. That's on him. That is something every team that is thinking of trading for him will have to consider as well.

When you assume that risk, you expect there to be a benefit to you as well. That will come in a reduced acquisition cost. Herman can talk all tough and everything, demanding a roster player, a prospect and a draft pick, but the reality is he has to find someone to give it to him. That is going to be a challenge, unless he is going to be happy with a package of something like Bollig (roster player), Elson (prospect), and a 7th (draft pick). He has to be reasonable or he's going to be sitting on Drouin for a while. So while he talks tough out of one side of his face he says something else out of the other; acknowledging he wants to move him sooner than later. Something is going to give, and I think Yzer,an is going to lose and lose hard on this one.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:32 AM   #1240
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
God I hope not.
A late August/ early September signing of Russell might be okay. I would take him back at his current salary.
Closed Thread