Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #3241
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Why would the Pens trade Murray? I thought they considered him their next franchise goalie?
They likely wouldn't.

The discussion came up (again) in reference to using the #27 and #35 picks.

To me, that is a more reasonable conversation. If I am Pitt, I am protecting Murray before MAF. However, for those picks, I might be willing to run with MAF and the picks.

Vinny's proposal seems pretty unlikely to me. (But if a package for Murray included a goalie, I think they would want McDonald before Ortio - and Gillies before either of them)
Old 04-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #3242
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Igor Eronko @IgorEronko
Alexander Radulov confirms he will play in the #NHL next season
Depending on what his contract demands are like, I really think BT should be in on this.

Left shot, but a RW and he'd be our 2nd best winger behind Gaudreau if he signed here.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Radulov

I could see him potting 25+ goals and 60+ points playing with Johnny.

EDIT: His NHLe from the KHL figures that he'd be at or close to point per game in the NHL. (if I did it right)

Panarin had the same KHL numbers before coming over as Radulov had last year, and he was pretty close to point per game here. Yeah, I'd be all over this if I was Treliving.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 04-29-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #3243
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Why would the Pens trade Murray? I thought they considered him their next franchise goalie?
Also, forgot to mention, MAF has an NMC. If they are forced to protect him, they won't be able to protect Murray.

That makes trading Murray substantially more likely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #3244
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Depending on what his contract demands are like, I really think BT should be in on this.

Left shot, but a RW and he'd be our 2nd best winger behind Gaudreau if he signed here.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Radulov

I could see him potting 25+ goals and 60+ points playing with Johnny.

EDIT: His NHLe from the KHL figures that he'd be at or close to point per game in the NHL. (if I did it right)

Panarin had the same KHL numbers before coming over as Radulov had last year, and he was pretty close to point per game here. Yeah, I'd be all over this if I was Treliving.
Radulov would put up 60+ points playing with pretty much anybody, the only concern is how he is as a teammate.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #3245
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeah, I'd be all over this if I was Treliving.
Pretty sure all rumours point towards the Avs.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 04-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #3246
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I don't care if Radulov is a sweet cherry pie. I want him on the Flames.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #3247
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can probably work out a good deal with the Pens for Fleury, I don't see any way they let Murray go. Kid looks great.

I also would not mind M.A Fleury on the Flames either. He's used to playing behind the style of hockey the Flames play. He'd fit well here.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #3248
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
You can probably work out a good deal with the Pens for Fleury, I don't see any way they let Murray go. Kid looks great.

I also would not mind M.A Fleury on the Flames either. He's used to playing behind the style of hockey the Flames play. He'd fit well here.
Why let them off the hook and trade for MAF?

As it stands, they have to protect him. So go after Murray.

Also, MAF seems (from far away) to love Pitt and I would imagine he is not in a hurry to waive his NMC.

So again, unless they can pull a rabbit out of their arses, I would imagine they will be forced to trade Murray.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #3249
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Why let them off the hook and trade for MAF?

As it stands, they have to protect him. So go after Murray.

Also, MAF seems (from far away) to love Pitt and I would imagine he is not in a hurry to waive his NMC.

So again, unless they can pull a rabbit out of their arses, I would imagine they will be forced to trade Murray.
I think you're wrong. The younger asset always stays. especially since the younger asset is essentially replacing Fleury as we speak. NTC or not. Fleury will move before Murray. And the expansion process has not been finalized yet so making absolute arguments about who gets protected or not is premature and foolhardy.

EDIT: And what this "letting PITT off the hook for Fleury" thing all about? Did I miss something where Fleury cap hit or contract was Wideman-esque?

Double EDIT: Fleury's not Lunquist or Quick where he's cemented there for eternity. I don't see that in this scenario.

Last edited by dammage79; 04-29-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #3250
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Schneider went for 9th overall. That has to be the ballpark for Murray, assuming Pens end up dealing him.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #3251
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if the pens really want to keep Murray and trade Fleury, they'll either retain salary or find a team he'd waive to go to and practically give him to them. If they're stuck, they'll be dealing from a position of weakness.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #3252
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you're wrong. The younger asset always stays. especially since the younger asset is essentially replacing Fleury as we speak. NTC or not. Fleury will move before Murray. And the expansion process has not been finalized yet so making absolute arguments about who gets protected or not is premature and foolhardy.

EDIT: And what this "letting PITT off the hook for Fleury" thing all about? Did I miss something where Fleury cap hit or contract was Wideman-esque?
The younger asset doesn't always stay. Remember the nucks trading Schneider and keeping Luongo?

..and this is different than any normal situation anyways, with an expansion draft looming and them being forced to protect Fleury as their only goalie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #3253
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I think if the pens really want to keep Murray and trade Fleury, they'll either retain salary or find a team he'd waive to go to and practically give him to them. If they're stuck, they'll be dealing from a position of weakness.
You may be dead on there. Any reason to believe he'd waive for the Flames?
Old 04-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #3254
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Schneider went for 9th overall. That has to be the ballpark for Murray, assuming Pens end up dealing him.
I don't think so Tim.

Schneider had put up elite numbers in the league for more than 100 games, by the time of his trade.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #3255
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Double EDIT: Fleury's not Lunquist or Quick where he's cemented there for eternity. I don't see that in this scenario.
Yes, all the talk about the expansion draft is speculative. THat has been stated multiple times. But based on today's update that speculates that NMCs will have to be protected, that would apply to MAF.

And therefore, speculating that Murray could be available is a pretty reasonable net step.

Of course Pitt would rather keep Murray than Fleury. However, they may not have that option. Unless some team lets them off the hook by trading for Fleury (assuming he would even agree to it), they will be forced to move Murray or risk losing him in the draft.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #3256
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
They likely wouldn't.

The discussion came up (again) in reference to using the #27 and #35 picks.

To me, that is a more reasonable conversation. If I am Pitt, I am protecting Murray before MAF. However, for those picks, I might be willing to run with MAF and the picks.

Vinny's proposal seems pretty unlikely to me. (But if a package for Murray included a goalie, I think they would want McDonald before Ortio - and Gillies before either of them)
My proposal included McDonald in addition to Ortio and the 2nd. Ortio backs up Fleury next year and McDonald is a potential goalie of the future. 35th pick helps the fact the Pens do not have a first
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 01:04 PM   #3257
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Schneider had more of a track record. And the expansion draft forces their hand.

So I think the price would be lower.

A couple 2nds (or the 1st and 2nd if it becomes that) should be enough IMO
Old 04-29-2016, 01:04 PM   #3258
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What would people think about 6/7 overall (were we drafting in that spot) for Schneider ?

I know it's very unlikely Jersery would do that, but they are a bad team being held to that no-man's land spot by great goaltending. On the remote chance they wanted to blow things up and would consider that, what would the thought be on our end?
Old 04-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #3259
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
I don't think so Tim.

Schneider had put up elite numbers in the league for more than 100 games, by the time of his trade.
Sorry don't get the Tim reference. Murray is an elite prospect and although he has less NHL experience than Schneider had, I suspect his value will be comparable.

If the Flames end up with the 8th pick in the draft I would not blow my brains out if they flipped it for Murray. Am I over rating him?
Old 04-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #3260
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry don't get the Tim reference. Murray is an elite prospect and although he has less NHL experience than Schneider had, I suspect his value will be comparable.

If the Flames end up with the 8th pick in the draft I would not blow my brains out if they flipped it for Murray. Am I over rating him?

The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread