Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #2001
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

How does one steal a dead patient from a hospital during the day onto his boat parked in the front?

Absolutely terrible ending to this series, which is quite sad considering how good it used to be.
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #2002
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This thread needs to be closed and we should never talk about this show ever again.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #2003
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the theory that the whole series was just the daydream of a bored lumberjack.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #2004
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

3.3 million viewers for the finale which shatters the previous record for most viewed episode. Pretty amazing number considering seemingly everyone hated the final season. There's also rumours of a Masuka spinoff, which explains why the seemingly pointless daughter plot was thrown in.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #2005
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I always thought maybe Harrison would become the next Dexter. Seeing how he was found in a pool of blood much like what happened to Dexter as a child.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #2006
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I like the theory that the whole series was just the daydream of a bored lumberjack.
Hadn't come across that one. Not sure I buy it.

I thought the season was pretty poorly done. Crazy leaps in logic, rather slow, etc. It also looked really cheap to me, as though they had no budget for it. I don't think that's the case, but just an observation.

I am not sure what to make of the finale. I did not like it but didn't hate it as much as some here. Setting aside the massive leaps in logic and plot holes, I liked the idea of him killing himself in the end by driving into the storm.

Another theory: I read a viewer theory that, in the end, Dexter's last kill was himself (figuratively), and he was starting a new life that would eventually reunite him with Hanna and Harrison. After all, he did say to Harrison that he would see him again.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #2007
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
I always thought maybe Harrison would become the next Dexter. Seeing how he was found in a pool of blood much like what happened to Dexter as a child.
Now see if they would have shown Dexter driving into the hurricane, then cut to a scene showing a photo of Dexter and Hannah, with another photo of Rita on a desk. Zoom out to see a young blond guy preparing a blood slide, then have him look into the camera and give the best Dexter grin he can. That would have made the ending 10x better, though still not enough to salvage such a terrible season
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #2008
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
3.3 million viewers for the finale which shatters the previous record for most viewed episode. Pretty amazing number considering seemingly everyone hated the final season.
That often happens with series finales because people who stopped watching regularly over the years decide to watch the finale to see how it all wraps up.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #2009
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
I'm sure he will now that he is being raised by another serial killer.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #2010
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe Hannah will kill herself out of guilt and in the Harrison spinoff 10 years from now, there will be a ghost Hannah guiding him while explaining the obvious to the audience.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #2011
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harrison arrives in Argentina and is seen unpacking his Jr sized 6 pc set of hunting knives and a supply of syringes would have topped the final episode off in an even more bizarre Dexter fashion. Dexter sends a note, Hannah here give this Harrison on his 16th birthday...It is a bonesaw.

Last edited by Stay Golden; 09-25-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Stay Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #2012
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just terrible.

-Saxson walking into the hospital, what did he seriously think was gonna happen?

-Saxson knocking a guy out in front of a crowded store and no one flinches?

Saxson walking around with a bloody arm, no one says jack all?

-Throws Deb into the ocean? wtf?

-Masuka's daughter all season?

-How does Dex actually survive going into that storm?

-Hannah trying to flee the country? does not use any disguise at all?

-Hannah has the horse tranquillizer ready on the spot? Elway doesn't see her getting it ready?

-The camera doesn't record volume when Dex visits Saxson?

Just too many things alone in the last episode, terrible writing!
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #2013
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people are being overly hard on the ending but the writers didn't do themselves any favours here. The final season seemed like a collaboration of too many cooks in the kitchen like they couldn't agree how the show should end and eventually were rushed into a conclusion. I thought the last episode had some very strong parts such at Deb and Dexter's moments together as well as Hannah and Harrison becoming family. I also liked how Dexter faded back into his darkness rather than went happily ever after. Thought it was fitting that the show ended on a bit of a downer note given the subject matter and the fact that the main character is in fact a bad person.

The negatives were that the whole Masuka and daughter story line never went anywhere. Outside of her being cute and getting to see her tits it was a pointless storyline. I know even the best shows like Breaking Bad have hightly unlikely events but pulling the plug on a hospital patient and then just carting her out of the hospital? I know they only had 60 minutes to work with but surely they could have thought of something better. The whole season was just different because Dexter wasn't the Dexter we had become used to and the overly contrived plot got overly messy without enough time to tie up all the loose ends.

Overall it's good that the show ended as like many other good shows it outlasted it's welcome but it's also a little sad in that the show has become my fall Sunday night ritual beginning with the same familiar but excellent introduction of Dexter getting ready in the morning followed some pretty good characters and entertainment over the years. Yeah it didn't end well but when it was good it was some of the best TV I have seen in a long time as there's never been anything remotely close to the premises of a serial killer being the main character/anti-hero. When's the last time so many people liked and rallied behind a character that was essentially a very bad person? It didn't end that well but it was a really good run and I will miss it.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-26-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #2014
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
When's the last time so many people liked and rallied behind a character that was essentially a very bad person?
Walter White, Tony Soprano, Vic Mackey, Don Draper, Nucky Thompson, and Jax Teller off the top of my head.
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #2015
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
Walter White, Tony Soprano, Vic Mackey, Don Draper, Nucky Thompson, and Jax Teller off the top of my head.
I don't even know that Dexter is really a bad guy. He seems more vigilante than evil. I don't know that Jax is that bad either.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #2016
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
None of them are cold blooded serial killers. There is no doubt they have murdered but always due to business or circumstances. Killing people is Dexter's business and that's the story line.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #2017
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
None of them are cold blooded serial killers. There is no doubt they have murdered but always due to business or circumstances. Killing people is Dexter's business and that's the story line.
So a guy who kills because of a compulsion is a very bad guy but one that kills for profit or revenge isn't?
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #2018
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I don't even know that Dexter is really a bad guy. He seems more vigilante than evil. I don't know that Jax is that bad either.
The fact that some of you think Dexter is a good guy shows the brilliance of the show as he's pure evil. Vigilante he is not as killing bad people is still killing and the only thing that kept him from killing everyone and anyone was a code that was instituted by his father and shrink. Anyone that takes joy in plunging a knife into a person's heart then promptly dismembers them is a really, really, bad guy regardless of the wrongdoings of his victims.

Quote:
So a guy who kills because of a compulsion is a very bad guy but one that kills for profit or revenge isn't?
There's bad people that kill because of greed then there's inherently evil people that kill for the sake of killing because they enjoy or have the need to take life. Those characters wouldn't just kill any stranger on the street and wouldn't bother even seeking out a bad person without association for the heck of killing them. Anything bad Tony Soprano, Gustavo Fring, Jax Teller is borne out of necessity for survival in the life of crime they live. Bad people yes but not pure evil like Dexter.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #2019
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure why, but also not sure why not?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1316468804378079234
Old 10-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #2020
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Surely it can't be any worse than the existing finale... so yay maybe?

https://tvline.com/2020/10/14/dexter...ichael-c-hall/

Dexter Morgan’s second act as a lumberjack is coming to an end: Showtime has ordered a 10-episode Dexter revival, with Michael C. Hall on board to reprise his role as the killer vigilante.

Last edited by AC; 10-14-2020 at 02:34 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post: