Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2024, 01:59 PM   #21
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Gracias Senor! Zary not going down is interesting. I wonder if he's hurt?

But thats good. Early in their career its good to play games and get the experience.

From what Freeway posted, that looks like a decent roster.
They would've made the decision on Zary going down for the playoffs back at the trade deadline. Players had to be on the AHL team at the deadline to be AHL playoff eligible so Coronato and Pelletier were sent down and recalled the next day in paper transactions.

I imagine it's because Zary really spent no time on the Wranglers this year (6 GP) and the team looks at Zary as fully promoted to the Flames whereas Pelletier and Coronato both spent large amounts of time with the Wranglers and know the systems etc.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2024, 03:57 PM   #22
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
They would've made the decision on Zary going down for the playoffs back at the trade deadline. Players had to be on the AHL team at the deadline to be AHL playoff eligible so Coronato and Pelletier were sent down and recalled the next day in paper transactions.

I imagine it's because Zary really spent no time on the Wranglers this year (6 GP) and the team looks at Zary as fully promoted to the Flames whereas Pelletier and Coronato both spent large amounts of time with the Wranglers and know the systems etc.
yes I certainly agree that seems to be the perspective, although I noticed that Arizona did send down Kesserling who had roughly the same AHL/NHL split as Zary- oh well haha on them as we know who won that series!
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 04:15 PM   #23
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
yes I certainly agree that seems to be the perspective, although I noticed that Arizona did send down Kesserling who had roughly the same AHL/NHL split as Zary- oh well haha on them as we know who won that series!
If you watched you know Dustin Wolf won that series. As much as I would love for the Wranglers to beat the Firebirds they don't have the horses. It would definitely help to add a Honzek and a Hunter Brzustewicz, some high end skill but doesn't look like that will happen.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 04:19 PM   #24
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If you watched you know Dustin Wolf won that series. As much as I would love for the Wranglers to beat the Firebirds they don't have the horses. It would definitely help to add a Honzek and a Hunter Brzustewicz, some high end skill but doesn't look like that will happen.
I doubt either of those two would be all that effective against seasoned pros. I know it's the AHL but Honzek wasn't even really effective in the WHL against 16-20 year olds this year.

Exciting about Wolf though, he just seems more and more for real and it's starting to become really believable that once he adjusts to the NHL, he's going to have the ability to strap the Flames on his back too when it's needed.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2024, 04:19 PM   #25
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how much the coaching staff takes into consideration the impact longterm if they sub in a hyped prospect into the lineup over a different prospect, albeit less hyped, who has been there for the full season on the club, working every day to improve and get better.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 04:41 PM   #26
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I thought this was worthy of a thread on the main board since it means playoff hockey at the Saddledome.

Tonight, the Wranglers completed the sweep of the Tucson Roadrunners in the first round of the AHL playoffs. Now, the real playoffs begin. The Wranglers will face the Coachella Valley Firebirds in the second round.

The Firebirds are the AHL affiliate of the Seattle Kraken and have been one of the strongest teams in the AHL over the last two seasons. This year, they easily won the Pacific Division while the Wranglers finished 7th in the Pacific. As the last two games have shown, the Wranglers with Dustin Wolf are very different team than they are without him, so the 7th place finish is a bit misleading.

To minimize travel, the AHL schedule has the best-of-five series set up with a 2-3 schedule. The higher-ranked team has the option of starting on the road and retaining home ice in a potential Game 5, or starting at home and risking needing to play Game 5 on the road.

The Firebirds have chosen to keep home ice advantage, which means the first two games will be held at the Saddledome. The schedule has been released. Game 1 will be next Friday night.
  1. Fri. May 03, 2024 - 7:00PM - CV @ CGY
  2. Sun. May 05, 2024 - 4:00PM - CV @ CGY
  3. Wed. May 08, 2024 - 7:00PM - CGY @ CV
  4. Fri. May 10, 2024 - 7:00PM - CGY @ CV
  5. Sun. May 12, 2024 - 3:00PM - CGY @ CV

Let's fill the Dome with the Red Wolf Pack!
Thank you so much getback!!

Old 04-27-2024, 04:57 PM   #27
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tickets look to be about 48.00 per adult and 27 for kids.

Double the regular season pricing basically.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 05:03 PM   #28
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know that Stromgren is going to be compared to Stankoven taken 2 spots after him in the draft for quite some time, but he’s really starting to look like a player since the second half of this AHL season and playoff so far.

Seems to have good speed and hands, and at 6’3” and only 175 I’m really interested to see what kind of player he matures into as he fills out. I don’t think that pick is going to be as bad as I’ve seen suggested
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HitterD For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2024, 06:10 PM   #29
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

I might go to Game 3 in Palm Desert. Would wearing a Flames jersey be a foul? I don’t think so, but I’ve never been to an AHL game before.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 06:15 PM   #30
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sat here for a minute confused what was going on because I thought they were still playing Tucson. Finally figured out it was a ... best of 3. what the hell are they doing in the AHL lmao
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 06:27 PM   #31
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Sat here for a minute confused what was going on because I thought they were still playing Tucson. Finally figured out it was a ... best of 3. what the hell are they doing in the AHL lmao
I think it’s 3-5-5-5-7, could be wrong.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 06:36 PM   #32
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 rounds wtf
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 06:36 PM   #33
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I might go to Game 3 in Palm Desert. Would wearing a Flames jersey be a foul? I don’t think so, but I’ve never been to an AHL game before.
Absolutely not! Wranglers games here have such a mix of jerseys
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2024, 06:50 PM   #34
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I think it’s 3-5-5-5-7, could be wrong.
3-5-5-7-7

The first round is really just a play-in round. Some teams get a bye to the second round (depending on how many teams are in a Division --- it gets complicated, so it's best to not question it).

For the second round, there are 4 teams in each Division semifinal. The third round determines the Division Champions. The fourth round is the Conference Finals and the fifth is the Calder Cup Final. The final 2 rounds are best of 7.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:59 PM   #35
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

27 for kids of all ages ?
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:54 AM   #36
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/hoc...-for-wranglers

Quote:
Stromgren, listed at 6-foot-3 and 195 lb., can’t control his draft position and the comparisons that come as a result. To his credit, he continues to show that he too is worth getting excited about, that he could be a future factor for the Flames.

It’s worth nothing that Stromgren, who turns 21 in June, is the youngest dude in the Wranglers’ playoff lineup.

“I gotta say, he kind of surprises me. He’s really, really good,” praised Wranglers buzzsaw Jakob Pelletier, who had Stromgren as his linemate in the late stages of the regular season. “He’s fast. He’s really fast. He’s a thinker. He wants to make plays. He wants to play in the offensive zone. He’s not afraid to use his body, as well.”

“He’s one of those kids that you can never count him out,” echoed head coach Trent Cull during Friday’s post-game interview with Wranglers TV. “Because he has really good ability and he can come up in those big situations.”

“I would say, from the beginning until Christmas, it was tougher than I expected, for sure,” Stromgren said, recapping his progress as an AHL rookie. “But new year and on, I think I’ve been playing my game again and playing my game better. It gives me confidence. I think the second half of the season has been so much better than my first. It’s kind of a different hockey here in Canada, and you just have to get used to that. I think the beginning was tough for me, but I’ve smoothed it out in the second half.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 11:04 AM   #37
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

That goal was like watching a shark smell blood in the water and nothing was stopping him from eating big
EVERLAST is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 11:06 AM   #38
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be great if Stromgren can bloom in the pros. He’s a bit of a forgotten prospect in the ranks and a large bodied winger would be a huge boost for a Flames roster that sports a lot of wingers on the small size.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 11:29 AM   #39
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hope they are able to get redemption from last year's playoffs.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to t0rrent98 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 11:52 AM   #40
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

This 5 game series might not end until 16 days after the end of the previous round. Maybe speed it up a bit here AHL.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: