Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #61
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
Yeah, I just got an email from Fan 960 and I came here to find out what he was apologizing for.

Definitely an over the line comment, but the apology is comprehensive (to say the least) and hopefully everyone just moves on.
He certainly covered all the bases with that apology. Sometimes you can tell when something like that is written by a PR professional but, in this case, definitely sounded like his own words and sincere.

Cowperson
Old 11-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #62
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Can't believe people think Boomer should resign. I guess all these people saying that are perfect and have never made a mistake on the job.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #63
Knut

Exp:

I don't think he should resign. I expected him to be fired as things seem overly sensitive today.

Glad he wasn't, but I am sure he got a talking to from Rogers
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #64
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yep. He was just doing his anti-Rider schtick towards Warrener. He may have gone a little too far but if you listen to the show with any regularity you would know he was just kidding around.

Apparently Rider nation is all up in arms and we all know how big their voice is. Go to any CFL poll on who was the performer of the week or best QB in the league and it will be Dressler or Durant at the top despite neither being remotely worthy.
While I don't disagree with what you said, I dont' think it's an appropriate time to dig at Riders fans while trying to defend Boomer. You're certainly looking like a troll over on riderfans.com.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #65
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
While I don't disagree with what you said, I dont' think it's an appropriate time to dig at Riders fans while trying to defend Boomer. You're certainly looking like a troll over on riderfans.com.
Riders fans are clowns. Some of them are pretty good, knowledgeable fans and being a CFL fan I like that because I like to talk sports but the vast majority are just uneducated bandwagoners. There are people in that thread there calling Calgary fans in general classless just because of what a radio guy said. I take digs at them because they make it way too easy.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #66
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Riders fans are clowns. Some of them are pretty good, knowledgeable fans and being a CFL fan I like that because I like to talk sports but the vast majority are just uneducated bandwagoners. There are people in that thread there calling Calgary fans in general classless just because of what a radio guy said.
They have a 'Calgary fans are classless' type thread every week over there. They also seem to get carried away with their blatenly racist meme of 'Nik Lewis eating buckets of KFC.' There's plenty of other times and opportunities to address that.

Anyways. Speaking of Boomer, I thought the words of his apology were actually quite complete in terms of addressing the multiple droves of people he offended and possibly impacted. I have been hearing from some Rider fan friends that they way he apologized on air didn't sound as sincere. Did anyone who heard the apology agree? Or was this a case of hearing this through green-colored speakers?
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #67
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bad choice, definitely needs to apologize, apology reads like it is sincere, doesn't need to be fired.

People should move on.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #68
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Boomer won't be able to make fun of Rider Nation anymore.

This may seem like a hollow gesture to some, but I can assure you it is extremely heartfelt. I am deeply rattled by what has happened. This was not premeditated or meant in a serious manner what so ever. It was a throw away comment at the end of a segment, that I very much regret.

Dean Molberg

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #69
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
They have a 'Calgary fans are classless' type thread every week over there. They also seem to get carried away with their blatenly racist meme of 'Nik Lewis eating buckets of KFC.' There's plenty of other times and opportunities to address that.

Anyways. Speaking of Boomer, I thought the words of his apology were actually quite complete in terms of addressing the multiple droves of people he offended and possibly impacted. I have been hearing from some Rider fan friends that they way he apologized on air didn't sound as sincere. Did anyone who heard the apology agree? Or was this a case of hearing this through green-colored speakers?

Yeah the KFC stuff is low brow for sure but I get a little upset when they call out Calgary fans.

I thought it was sincere although honestly IMO when anyone gives an appology the only person that really knows if it is sincere is the person giving it. We can judge by their wording, expressions, etc but we are simply assuming.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #70
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently Rider nation is all up in arms and we all know how thin their skin is.
Fixed that for you.

That said, Boomer crossed the line on a jet-powered skateboard.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #71
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Boomer won't be able to make fun of Rider Nation anymore.

This may seem like a hollow gesture to some, but I can assure you it is extremely heartfelt. I am deeply rattled by what has happened. This was not premeditated or meant in a serious manner what so ever. It was a throw away comment at the end of a segment, that I very much regret.

Dean Molberg
Maybe people have forgotten but Mike Richards took a lot of low digs at Edmonton on the Fan 960. Difference is that Edmontonians have thicker skin as I don't remember any major backlash.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #72
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Richards ever wish death (jokingly or not) on Edmonton players?

Half legit question here, as I didn't make it a habit to listen to him while he was at the Fan.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #73
hah
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It not like he said ****sucker live on air.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #74
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Did Richards ever wish death (jokingly or not) on Edmonton players?

Half legit question here, as I didn't make it a habit to listen to him while he was at the Fan.
Not that I can recall but he called it "Dumpsville" frequently or simply a dump and had that whole Mongo Edmonton game show which had it's low brow moments.

Does anyone really think Dean Molberg really was hoping for some Riders to die in a plane crash? Really? I don't think he ever truly wished any harm to anyone. I get that this is something that shouldn't have been said on air but this isn't a guy voicing racist beliefs on the air or anything really meant to be hurtful. It was just a dumb comment.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #75
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Can't believe people think Boomer should resign. I guess all these people saying that are perfect and have never made a mistake on the job.
You'd think he'd have learned after making racist jokes about Jordin Tootoo a couple years back. I let the CRTC know about that one, and it too necessitated a "heartfelt" apology on air.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #76
Helrazr
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
You'd think he'd have learned after making racist jokes about Jordin Tootoo a couple years back. I let the CRTC know about that one, and it too necessitated a "heartfelt" apology on air.

Srsly?
Helrazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #77
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe people have forgotten but Mike Richards took a lot of low digs at Edmonton on the Fan 960. Difference is that Edmontonians have thicker skin as I don't remember any major backlash.
The difference I think was Richards did it using satire, notably the Steve Armitage sections, while this seemed more like an off the cuff remark, which people usually take a bit more seriously. Also it is well known he truly hates anything and everything to so with the province of Saskatchewan.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #78
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

women with bruises on their legs......
Old 11-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #79
flamesaresmokin
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Why doesn't Steinbag have to apologize for his comments last night??

Last edited by flamesaresmokin; 11-08-2012 at 03:33 PM.
flamesaresmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #80
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

CBC and the Herald have the story up on their websites now.
I cant believe how much outrage this is causing.
Wow people have thin skin these days. What i dont understand is whether people complaining are in fact personally offended or if they feel that comments like this are super offensive and should not be aired.

Im not sure how an average joe would find the comment offensive. It was a bad joke. Do people think he was serious and secretly doing a voodoo curse while on air?
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote