Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #1301
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

A few news items

Saddletowne and Martindale Extension Opening Celebration

The new northeast LRT extension opens for revenue service on Monday August 27th. There will be a grand opening celebration at Saddletowne Station on Saturday August 25th between 11:30 AM and 2 PM.

More information:

http://www.calgarytransit.com/pdf/20...uide_FINAL.pdf

Fall Service Revisions

The Fall service revisions have been posted and take effect August 27th.

There are lots of changes this time around. Fall usually sees the most changes due to school being in again and often new routes or expanded service is implemented at this time of year. There are also a lot of changes to the network in the northeast due to the nes LRT stations opening.

There is one new route starting up. The route 461 will provide service to the new south hospital and the current terminal of the route 302 southeast BRT. This is a temporary measure until the BRT service itself is extended to the south hospital

Spoiler!

http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/f...ions_2012.html

Route Ahead Spending/Funding Feedback Tool

As part of the engagement component of the long-term transit plan that is being developed, there is a web-based tool that has been put together where you can toggle on or off any number of options (such as buying new accessible buses, keeping/getting rid of senior's passes, increasing reliability of C-Train cars, etc.) and see the results it would have on the operational and capital costs of the system. You can then send your preferred scheme as feedback to the Route Ahead team.

http://decision.routeahead.ca/?src=f...d=Transit_Tool

If nothing else, it is a great way to illustrate what things cost and the differences between operational and capital spending and funding.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #1302
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know this isn't specifically about Transit, but I was wondering how the bike path experiment on 10th st. was working out, and how the city's bike strategy was going. I see that "traffic Calming" is coming to my road - 8th ave NE - and couldn't help but wonder if a dedicated bike lane, grade separated and all - might be a better fit with this street than your average traffic circle.

Anyone familiar with the 10th st experiment?
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #1303
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

The city has big plans for Macleod Trail, and they dont include decreasing commute times

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ail-plans.html
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mykalberta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #1304
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
The city has big plans for Macleod Trail, and they dont include decreasing commute times

Did Druh Farrell swicth wards?
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #1305
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Most of that looks really good. The vast majority of that document shows the same level of traffic lanes, increased parking along the edges, bike paths, and actual pedestrian sidewalks. There are only a few sections where there is a proposed reduction in lanes - and that looks like it was just some out-of-the-box thinking. Reducing lanes is politically toxic, and just plain a non-starter. But most of it was suggesting actually using a lot of that boulevard for something useful.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #1306
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladium View Post
I understand the book of ticket thing but when i visited Calgary with my wife we couldn't buy two tickets at once in Washington for example you just tapped on th button two times and paid your 5 bucks.

In addition I was at the LRT and there was a group of 4 people (group) ahead of me and I don't know they were new to Calgary too and they were at both machines trying to buy tickets and were totally befuddled (train was also coming and of course I had to wait. I just think it is goofy that you can't buy 2, 3 4 tickets all at once while you are there as opposed to looking to buy tickets in Adv.

Unless you are buying a monthly pass I don't think there is any discount buying tickets in adv.

But again I am new I am probably wrong. I walk more often then take the LRT
There used to be a small discount for buying booklets of tickets (like $2.40/ticket instead of $2.75). Now they're the same price. The only advantage is being able to validate them and not have to worry about bringing change.

Anywhere else I've been that has a train has a far more advanced system than Calgary does. The ability to use a credit/debit card to buy tickets has been around less than a year and you can't pay in cash.

It seems everywhere but Calgary has a system that allows you to buy multiple tickets at a time (like you've suggested), pay with cash, change, or debit/credit.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #1307
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see not allowing debit or credit as the fees/ticket probably arent worth the hassle. Not being allowed to purchase multiple tickets is ridiculous. I found this out durring stampede and couldnt believe it.

I like the pre pay card that you can swipe that way they bypass the credit/debit fees.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #1308
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Macleod Trail is a gear grinder and as much as I support cyclists, if it means taking a lane away from drivers I am strongly against it.

On a even more unrelated note, I have always wondered why 14th st s couldnt eliminate a bunch of lights during heavy traffic periods.

Say Anderson is the only set of lights in the morning. 90+% of traffic has to be headed to glenmore. If you typically use 90th ave or southland you would have to back track a bit. Once you get onto 14th st, you make no left's at southland, 90th, heritge and the hospital. If you need to go left, you take that U turn road at the end of 14th by glenmore and back track. The 5 or so minutes one would spend back tracking seems well worth having free flow traffic (IMO).

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #1309
Paladium
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I can see not allowing debit or credit as the fees/ticket probably arent worth the hassle. Not being allowed to purchase multiple tickets is ridiculous. I found this out durring stampede and couldnt believe it.

I like the pre pay card that you can swipe that way they bypass the credit/debit fees.
I am thinking the pre-paid card is the way to go unless the Calgary winter stops me from walking then it will be the monthly pass.
Paladium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #1310
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

They don't need to remove lanes of traffic to accommodate cycling lanes. The city's own guest-experts have stated this. Narrowing traffic lanes slightly provides more than enough space.

Why they removed a lane of traffic on 10th St. NW, I don't know. But I don't see it flying on Macleod Tr.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #1311
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
I know this isn't specifically about Transit, but I was wondering how the bike path experiment on 10th st. was working out, and how the city's bike strategy was going. I see that "traffic Calming" is coming to my road - 8th ave NE - and couldn't help but wonder if a dedicated bike lane, grade separated and all - might be a better fit with this street than your average traffic circle.

Anyone familiar with the 10th st experiment?
I live right by 10th Street, and I'm a cyclist too. I hate it. As a driver, it just doesn't work right. Traffic is congested needlessly, and I haven't been able to make a left into the alley since the bike lane went in. As a cyclist, its not a great advantage. Plus, the vitriol directed at cyclists on that stretch is kinda scary.
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to annasuave For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #1312
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Anyone who wants to ride a Crowfoot-McKnight train can do so all day Sunday, likewise, anyone who wants to ride a Somerset to 10th Street West train.

Construction work at Chinook means that they are reducing the south line frequency for sunday, and the only way to maintain the frequency on both the NW and the NE line is to mix up the routes.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #1313
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Reminder that the new NE LRT extension opens up for service on Monday.

Don't be confused when the real time displays show Saddletowne instead of McKnight, and the announcements have changed.

If you normally get on the train at McKnight, and are waiting for a train to go downtown, look north instead of south.

Sort of related, what times do other Park & Ride lots completely fill up? I'm guessing that Saddletowne station might become the first one to fill up in the morning - considering that it's only 110 stalls or so.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #1314
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Brand new C-Train Safety Video:

Old 08-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #1315
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

How about instead of saying "look both ways"- they show why you look both ways; that while a NB train has been crossing you might not have seen that a SB train is also approaching.

And explain that the yellow lines are so you don't get schmucked by a mirror.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #1316
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
How about instead of saying "look both ways"- they show why you look both ways; that while a NB train has been crossing you might not have seen that a SB train is also approaching.

And explain that the yellow lines are so you don't get schmucked by a mirror.
If we really need to explain this, we should just give up the whole thing and let Darwin sort it out.
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #1317
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Photos from the NE LRT Extension opening celebration today.

Spoiler!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #1318
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nice to see a NE station in good repair.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #1319
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Photos from the NE LRT Extension opening celebration today.

Spoiler!
Thanks for those. Otherwise, it would probably be several years before I'd learn what that station looks like.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #1320
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

For some reason he's forgotten to post them here, so here is another set of photos and a video from Steve Perry (stevinder):

Spoiler!

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings