Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2021, 07:55 AM   #1201
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Marcia Lucas, editor of the first three films, voices her displeasure of the final three films. Old school reporting in book form. I would guess that this is pretty close to George's real feeling on the matter, as far as I can tell they are on good terms even after divorcing post-Jedi.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/st...ms-1234666134/
Maria probably thought the prequels were good.

So...
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:58 AM   #1202
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

She apparently cried in the parking lot after The Phantom Menace because it was so bad:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/257...phantom-menace
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 08:18 AM   #1203
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Didn’t we all?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 08:33 AM   #1204
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

please name actors that would be able to deliver this script successfully. note that one of the people below has 3 oscars on their shelf.

Spoiler!
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:39 AM   #1205
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peewee Herman as Anakin, Bobcat Goldthwait as Padme.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #1206
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Peewee Herman as Anakin, Bobcat Goldthwait as Padme.
Okay. I'll give you the thanks because the concept of Bobcat Goldthwaite as Padme actually made me chuckle.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:51 AM   #1207
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Didn’t we all?

Yeah, but Phantom Menace to me had some very cool factors. Maul and Sideous, Ewan and Liam did great jobs. The story line was wrong.

By the end of the Sequels, there weren't even like cool things in the film that had the potential to make it less bad.

I wish Phantom and AOTC would have been better (Attack of the Clones was just sterile with standouts by Ian, Ewan and Chris Lee who were very good, Phantom continued the trend of ROTJ with the whole child friendly selling merch approach)

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:57 AM   #1208
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I finished re-reading all the X-Wing books, including my first read of Mercy Kill (Book 10) which was released in 2012 and takes place 35 years after the rest of the X-Wing books. Overall I'd say they hold up really well considering their age and target demographic. I'd love to see nods to the books in the upcoming X-Wing movie but I won't hold my breath.

When I first started re-reading the books I assumed that Starfighters of Adumar (Book 9) would be my least favorite of the ones I've read, but it ended up being Isard's Revenge (Book 8). The premise of Isard's Revenge and how it all goes down was largely just an attempt for Stackpole to write his favorite characters one more time but there didn't appear to be a great reason for any of it to go down. Very little was accomplished and there was almost no character growth. The other issue is that Stackpole and Allston were...afraid to really use each other's characters? I dunno, the lack of continuity was a bit jarring at times.

If you read the back cover of Starfighters of Adumar, it reads as a pretty bad premise, but somehow it works. Allston has that way of writing fun characters that keep you engaged, and he fleshed out the Adumar setting enough to make it stand out despite the lack of connection to the other books.

The first half of Mercy Kill is a mess. The pacing is strange, the purpose for reforming the Wraiths isn't interesting, and they jump to new locations so frequently that you're not able to really track what they're doing at that place. Once the book slows down a bit it starts to come together, and the last 1/4 of the book feels like it fits right in with the old Wraith Squadron novels. Thankfully, the book is written in a way that you don't need to know what happened in the 35 years between Book 9 and 10 to follow the current events.

I'm planning to start reading through the Legacy of the Force books based on Captain Crunch's previous recommendations. Maybe someday I'll try to tackle the Yuuzhan Vong War books again, but it's a pretty daunting task at 19 books.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #1209
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I really enjoyed the Legacy of the Force books, I've moved on to the Fate of the Jedi.

I did like the X-Wing books, the premise wasn't great but Alliston was a really strong writer in the EU.

You can always comfort yourself with the concept that there are just some cringe worthy EU books, I'm looking at you WARU.

The new Canon books, just haven't been great so far, and it almost feels like Disney has given up on create a extensive Lore for Star Wars preferring to leave it to TV series and possibly future movies.

Old 10-27-2021, 02:02 PM   #1210
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I don't blame them for ending the Legends line of lore...some of the newer stuff just isn't very interesting, and somehow, 45 years after A New Hope, I'm supposed to believe that Luke, Han and Leia are still around and saving the galaxy for the 20th time in the Millennium Falcon? And that the summary of the last book in the Legends timeline (Crucible) is that you need balance in the light and dark side of the force? What a shocking concept.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:42 PM   #1211
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, the Fate of the Jedi series wasn't as good as legacy, they did try to give a fairly unique all powerful enemy in Aeboloth (sp?).

I did like the legacy comics that took place 140 years in the future with the Great grandson of Luke Skywalker and the One Sith.

I just find so many of the new Canon books to be really bland and un interesting. The Aftermath book series should have been far better then it is.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:26 PM   #1212
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The new Canon books, just haven't been great so far, and it almost feels like Disney has given up on create a extensive Lore for Star Wars preferring to leave it to TV series and possibly future movies.
I thought Lost Stars by Claudia Grey was great. Aftermath series was okay (not memorable). Bloodlines was meh… was thinking of trying to read the new Thrawn books.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:40 AM   #1213
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Thrawn books aren't bad, they really over power him of course. There's one book where they try to explain how the force works with inner monologues during combat from Anakin and Vader that reads as really kinda goofy.

Old 11-01-2021, 09:35 AM   #1214
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Old 11-01-2021, 10:15 AM   #1215
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Feels kinda meh. I'll start watching it for sure though.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:50 PM   #1216
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Whenever I see Temuera Morrison, the first thing that pops in my head is the Kiwi film Once Were Warriors.

In that movie he was quite terrifying, had this unpredictable violence to go along with a hair-trigger temper, and truly I felt he was capable of anything. Perhaps its cause I saw it at a pretty young age (man, The Showcase Revue was something else) but it's left a real impact on me. It's the same thing, but different emotions, when i see another star of that film in anything, Cliff Curtis: I file whatever role he's portraying under 'monster' instantly

Anyway, I think that feeling really, really plays well into The Book of Boba. Even if the show has family friendly Disney entertainment painted all over it, Temuera Morrison brings the savagery and darkness
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 01:19 PM   #1217
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like Temuera Morrison and he was a highlight of Mando season 2, so I am pretty excited.

I just don't know what kind of story arc you can make around being the new Jabba that would be remain fascinating to watch every week. Mando has the advantage of much more freedom, moving world to world and involving different lore.

But maybe they have some tricks up their sleeve. I trust the folks behind Mando to come up with enjoyable and authentically SW content.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #1218
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I like Temuera Morrison and he was a highlight of Mando season 2, so I am pretty excited.

I just don't know what kind of story arc you can make around being the new Jabba that would be remain fascinating to watch every week. Mando has the advantage of much more freedom, moving world to world and involving different lore.

But maybe they have some tricks up their sleeve. I trust the folks behind Mando to come up with enjoyable and authentically SW content.
Well, why not dig back into that 'Prequel' well?

They could be discussing trade routes, equitable distribution of illicit profits as pertaining to the amount of work and seniority of each individual.

Maybe they could even arbitrate disputes about who took what from whom and what the fair treatment of restitution should be?

The possibilities are endless! Endless I say!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #1219
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Feels kinda meh. I'll start watching it for sure though.
I'll watch too, I'm just feeling pretty tired of the dusty Tatooine backdrop. in a giant galaxy with thousands (millions?) of inhabited worlds they just keep returning to this backwater in story after story.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #1220
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I'll watch too, I'm just feeling pretty tired of the dusty Tatooine backdrop. in a giant galaxy with thousands (millions?) of inhabited worlds they just keep returning to this backwater in story after story.

Yeah I know, I mean what about Jakku, that's a fresh planet right?

I always thought it was funny that in the star Wars galaxy all the planets have one bios.

Lets go to Mon Cala, its all water or the Wookie world that's all forest or Tattooine or Jakku that's all desert or Coruscant that's all one massive city.