Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #101
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I hear about stuff like this I always cringe.

I have played and coached soccer at some of the highest local levels and you always get stuff like this. The stories I could tell about over-involved and over-zealous parents in youth sports are staggering.

I remember coaching a group of 12 year olds and I found out that the parents had a rotation of who paid for what each time. We had to go to a tournament and one dude paid for the whole thing. Needed matching tracksuits? Another parent writes a cheque.

Unreal stuff. Its youth sports, relax and enjoy it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #102
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

We paid $1,200 for our son who turns 7 on March 7 for a program that runs April-June out of Airdrie.

Our boy was "invited" to play (and pay). He says he wants to keep playing hockey so I guess he is getting what he wants. We'll carefully review how bad the travel is at higher levels as Spring might not be something he can do forever because of travel costs.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #103
soma
Lifetime Suspension

If the family can afford it, and the kid wants to play, why not?

If your just scraping by and paying that for your kid to play spring hockey, you're crazy.

the kind of money being talked about is a big deal for some and not real significant to others , its all relative.
soma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #104
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

My kids are doing hockey and lacrosse in spring. But nothing elite. Cause we are so very level headed...ok and our kids just aren't elite

We've had pretty good experiences at the lower levels of everyone just in it for fun, but it's so easy to get sucked into more and more. Every parent wants their kids to do well, even If there are no nhl ambitions or illusions. And there is such an industry around it there is really no end to what you can do. It's pretty crazy when I sit back and think about even what we do in the 'just for fun' crowd.
Bend it like Bourgeois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #105
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just because you can afford it doesnt mean that its a wise way to spend money.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #106
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

And most who spend it can barely afford it.

To me, putting my son in sports teaches him leadership, team building, competition, how to overcome adversity and socialize. The best socializing years and the ones with the most personal improvement have been in recreational hockey. Dial the pressure up and only the top kids gain those skills at the same rate and the socialization sucks
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #107
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Ah spring hockey parents, "Can you turn up the heat??" Don't come to the arena in shorts and skirts expecting me to turn up the damn heat when its +20 and above.

Not to mention the biggest knobs for coaches come out during the spring, or the GDI goalie camps folks who try to skip out on the bill for ice time.

Most the parents aren't terrible though....most....
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #108
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

There are about 165,000 men aged 20-35 in Calgary. More people have moved to Calgary than have moved away in that time frame, so we can safely say the number of men born in Calgary in that range is less significantly less than that.

There are 9 current NHL players born in Calgary. 2 of them play for the Flames.

So if you picked a random bum aged 20-35 who was born in Calgary, who may or may not have ever played a game of hockey in his life, there's a better than 1 in 100,000 chance that he's currently in Los Angeles playing with the Flames against the LA Kings.

Last edited by BACKCHECK!!!; 02-27-2014 at 09:54 PM.
BACKCHECK!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #109
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Did the Tyler Benson's, Jagger Whites play spring?
Edmonton Mercurys and Vancouver Millionaires or Vipers or whoever needed a ringer, heres some kids who were drafted last year, I know White played from age 6 or 7on various teams not sure when Benson started
http://www.sonntagsports.com/hockeyt...ion=game_sheet

Basically all taken in the first three rounds,

Google 2008 team brick,
http://www.pointstreaksites.com/view...o/brick-alumni 7 first round whl picks from last year

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 02-27-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:21 AM   #110
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i am amazed at the amount of $$ parents must pay for spring hockey. i have no clue how much it costs here in kelowna - but it's got to be a lot.... and i LOVE it!! the growth of spring hockey has made a mellower part of my business year nice and busy making up jerseys, toques, track suits, caps, hoodies, etc. for all these teams.

this is what one team has (that i know of... i'm sure there's stuff i'm missing)
- home & away jerseys with full embroidered front logos, 2 colour twill numbers on the sleeves and back, twill names on namebars
- personalized pant shells
- matching socks
- something that goes over their skates so they match
- custom matching gloves and helmets
- 2 tracksuits per kid
- matching running shoes
- matching earphones for ipods
- matching skate mats

...and i'm sure there's more.

add to all that the cost of the hockey!!! wow!! that's all i can say!
I think my nephew might play on that team
Hey, my buddy Grant at Chevy's showed me some of your custom toilet paper embroidery, good work!
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red_Baron For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #111
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i am amazed at the amount of $$ parents must pay for spring hockey. i have no clue how much it costs here in kelowna - but it's got to be a lot.... and i LOVE it!! the growth of spring hockey has made a mellower part of my business year nice and busy making up jerseys, toques, track suits, caps, hoodies, etc. for all these teams.

this is what one team has (that i know of... i'm sure there's stuff i'm missing)
- home & away jerseys with full embroidered front logos, 2 colour twill numbers on the sleeves and back, twill names on namebars
- personalized pant shells
- matching socks
- something that goes over their skates so they match
- custom matching gloves and helmets
- 2 tracksuits per kid
- matching running shoes
- matching earphones for ipods
- matching skate mats

...and i'm sure there's more.

add to all that the cost of the hockey!!! wow!! that's all i can say!
Probably embroidered hockey bags. What age group? It kind of sounds cool, however it does seem like over kill for a two or three month hockey league.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #112
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Probably embroidered hockey bags. What age group? It kind of sounds cool, however it does seem like over kill for a two or three month hockey league.
i think the largest jersey was an adult small - for the goalie. the rest are youth med & lrg - i'd guess 8-10yrs old

i agree that it sounds cool (i do all kinds of crazy stuff for my men's hockey team), but most of this stuff won't fit the kids in 6 months
Old 02-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #113
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
I think my nephew might play on that team
Hey, my buddy Grant at Chevy's showed me some of your custom toilet paper embroidery, good work!
ha - go see Bill at sports excellence if you'd like to see the complete t.p. collection!!!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #114
cgy2london
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Former spring hockey player here.

Southern Alberta Selects

Are they even still around? How about the Southern Alberta Rockies (Stupid good back in the day), Top Guns and the 15 Wolf Pack teams scattered through the province, are any of these teams even still around?

Spring/Summer hockey on one end was great for development, it makes such a difference to play with high end caliber kids that local minor hockey just cant offer (even in Div 1 if thats still what they call it)

But the truth is, by the time you get to quadrant hockey, yeah your a better player because of spring hockey but man are you burned out. If anyone every tells you they played spring hockey and didn't get mono before they were 14, they are flat out lying!

Everything thats great about spring hockey gets pushed aside when kids simply just get burned out. In my experience anyways, you need time to let body recharge, hockey all the time makes your resent it eventually.

play baseball/lacrosse/socccer whatever, by the time kids are 14/15 they should be going to junior development camps anyway, spring hockey is just too much.
cgy2london is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cgy2london For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #115
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgy2london View Post
Former spring hockey player here.

Southern Alberta Selects

Are they even still around? How about the Southern Alberta Rockies (Stupid good back in the day), Top Guns and the 15 Wolf Pack teams scattered through the province, are any of these teams even still around?

Spring/Summer hockey on one end was great for development, it makes such a difference to play with high end caliber kids that local minor hockey just cant offer (even in Div 1 if thats still what they call it)

But the truth is, by the time you get to quadrant hockey, yeah your a better player because of spring hockey but man are you burned out. If anyone every tells you they played spring hockey and didn't get mono before they were 14, they are flat out lying!

Everything thats great about spring hockey gets pushed aside when kids simply just get burned out. In my experience anyways, you need time to let body recharge, hockey all the time makes your resent it eventually.

play baseball/lacrosse/socccer whatever, by the time kids are 14/15 they should be going to junior development camps anyway, spring hockey is just too much.
What age did you start getting burnt out?
Old 02-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #116
cgy2london
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Honestly, probably 16...I was playing midget aaa at Notre Dame and it was more of the same, eat, breathe and sleep hockey...

The following year I played one year of jr a as a underage, graduated high school and had no desire to finish jr and hunt for the scholly that I thought I wanted.

Too much hockey at a young age can really add up.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #117
cgy2london
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

HA. I actually ended up missing it and went over to the UK for two seasons when I was 20. Cool experience for sure but again, i was pretty burnt out by 22 when it was all said and done.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #118
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

So how has the spring league gone for everyone so far? My sons team, the 2007 Rustlers has gone 8-8 playing silver and gold teams (we are silver). Wrapping up the season this weekend with a tournament in Calgary.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #119
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

2001's, 5th at DHI in Vancouver this past week end, just missed out on semis, really could've made the the finals, tied tourney champs (Minnesota Blades) in round robin. Off to Winnipeg for NA Classic in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #120
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have a young child just starting to play hockey and I get cold sweats when I hear stories of how much it can cost. I want him to have fun and enjoy the game but a big part of me doesn’t want him to be good enough to make these sort of high priced camps necessary, I hope he goes through his hockey life just like me as a career house leaguer, who makes some good friends and is able to enjoy the game when he is an old man and put a couple in the net at beer league.
Schraderbrau is offline   Reply With Quote