Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #21
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

That video gives me a stomach ache. What a horrible trade.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #22
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellanor View Post
I lived two doors down from him and went to school with his daughter. I didn't really follow hockey at the time, so to me the trade meant losing a friend.
Ooh, you lived in Deer River? Hada ton of friends there. I remember playing street hockey with Gilmour, Roberts and Berube at times. Crazy.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LIP MAN For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #23
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doug Gilmour was stupid to leave the Flames he did more for his career in his short stint as a Flame then as a Leaf. In Toronto his number is retired, with the Flames he was a Stanley Cup Champion GWG.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #24
1Nite
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I still think there was some sort of tampering by Fletcher, may have told Gilmour something like "don't worry I'll take care of things".

That's my conspiracy theory for today.
1Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1Nite For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #25
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Nite View Post
I still think there was some sort of tampering by Fletcher, may have told Gilmour something like "don't worry I'll take care of things".

That's my conspiracy theory for today.
Certainly not out of the realm of possibility. I somewhat lean towards the same idea.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:33 PM   #26
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chockfullofgoodness View Post
I'm pretty sure the babysitter rumours happened when he played in St Louis. But, yeah, awful, awful trade.
The lawsuits and allegations with the baby sitter were the only reason why we were able to acquire Gilmour in the first place.

Interesting that Sportsnet - and possibly Gilmour - didn't mention the amount of tampering the Flames were involved with on his arbitration case either. We're damn lucky that it was Eagleson at the head of the NHLPA at that time instead of Goodenow.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #27
Fire in the disco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIP MAN View Post
Ooh, you lived in Deer River? Hada ton of friends there. I remember playing street hockey with Gilmour, Roberts and Berube at times. Crazy.
2 blocks down in Deer Run, had a ton of friends in Deer River though as well, we probably played street hockey together. I actually don’t know if I remember playing with Berube, definitely Roberts though, and Nieuwendyk a couple times, though I’m not sure if he ever lived there, might have just been hanging out lol. Great memories
Fire in the disco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire in the disco For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #28
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
He got traded for a frickin lousy $623,000!!! And in addition, McCoun, Nattress and Manderville were part of that trade! If that didn't hurt, the Flames also lost Niewendyk and McInnis due to the Flames going cheap! Maybe the baby sitter thing accounted for part of the decision to trade Gilmour, but to add in McCoun and Nattress? Talk about stupidity and bad management or what!
Gilmour quit on his team and the players. Good riddance!
Old 11-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #29
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I'm more interested in his thoughts on his trade to Calgary. I obviously won't support him by buying the book but I wonder if he'll discuss the baby sitter stuff at all.
I really don't/can't hold that whole accusation against him. He went and testified before a grand jury for 2 hours IIRC, and the evidence simply didnt exist. They tried to get it to trial but just couldn't justify it.

That combined with the girls attorney getting charged with trying to extort money from the Blues in exchange for silence, sealed it for me.

I know that there was a time they wanted to go after him in a civil suit but i never did hear anything beyond that if there was a settlement or dismissal or whatever.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:44 PM   #30
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I really don't/can't hold that whole accusation against him. He went and testified before a grand jury for 2 hours IIRC, and the evidence simply didnt exist. They tried to get it to trial but just couldn't justify it.

That combined with the girls attorney getting charged with trying to extort money from the Blues in exchange for silence, sealed it for me.
If you want to give the benefit of the doubt to Gilmour as he wasn't convicted of rape, that's fine. I mean, innocent until proven guilty is a great mantra to live by.

But essentially you're calling a 13 year old, who may have been raped, a liar because the lawyer her parents hired did something illegal? Or what else can you mean by "sealed it."

There wasn't much evidence. The parents found a diary with explicit details regarding their 13 year old daughter and Gilmour. The daughter confessed to them that she had sex with Gilmour. Gilmour denied it. There wasn't much evidence because that's the nature of these type of incidents. Especially when we're talking 1988 and there's no sexting or dick pics to look at. I don't know how you can so callously disregard a 13 year old who may have been raped like that though. It's one of the reason people who are raped don't come forward because they don't have evidence and people will dismiss them so quickly.

Of course we'll never know the truth, but I think it's entirely classless to essentially say that Gilmour didn't rape her and she made it up as suggested in your post. It could be the case, it might not be.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 11-23-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:36 PM   #31
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If you want to give the benefit of the doubt to Gilmour as he wasn't convicted of rape, that's fine. I mean, innocent until proven guilty is a great mantra to live by.

But essentially you're calling a 13 year old, who may have been raped, a liar because the lawyer her parents hired did something illegal? Or what else can you mean by "sealed it."

There wasn't much evidence. The parents found a diary with explicit details regarding their 13 year old daughter and Gilmour. The daughter confessed to them that she had sex with Gilmour. Gilmour denied it. There wasn't much evidence because that's the nature of these type of incidents. Especially when we're talking 1988 and there's no sexting or dick pics to look at. I don't know how you can so callously disregard a 13 year old who may have been raped like that though. It's one of the reason people who are raped don't come forward because they don't have evidence and people will dismiss them so quickly.

Of course we'll never know the truth, but I think it's entirely classless to essentially say that Gilmour didn't rape her and she made it up as suggested in your post. It could be the case, it might not be.
Did he not say he mostly believes he is innocent because of the fact that the girls family tried to profit from the situation? And OMG, what an aweful thing to believe in "innocent until proven guilty". Move along white knight.
Insane_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Insane_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #32
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
Did he not say he mostly believes he is innocent because of the fact that the girls family tried to profit from the situation?
I would say he said more than "mostly believes". He said "sealed the deal" for him. What the lawyer did was despicable but should have no bearing on the parents or especially the child who says she was raped. A civil suit is perfectly legitimate response when a criminal conviction can not be achieved (see OJ Simpson). As is a defamation suit if you're innocent.

"White knight" because I don't think we should dismiss 13 year olds who say they've been raped. Big Roy Moore fan are you?
Old 11-23-2017, 11:45 PM   #33
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Interestingly enough I just ran across this post from hockeyfights.com from 2004 talking about blues locker room cancers.

The word i heard about the babysitter incident was much different. About 10 years ago i dated a hottie who was seeing Gilmour just before we went out, he told her that he rubbed the babysitters face in dogsh*t because she stole something from his house, apparently she cried "rape" after that and he was in sh*t himself
Insane_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:02 AM   #34
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

But essentially you're calling a 13 year old, who may have been raped, a liar
because the lawyer her parents hired did something illegal? Or what else can you mean by "sealed it."

So in your world, all accusations are real and true every single time?

Again, this cased was heavily investigated including calling a grand jury. Normally a DA with even a hint of solid evidence could get even a ham sandwich indicted. They couldn't even meet that burden here.

As for the last bolded...so its OK to claim one side of that conclusion, but "entirely classless" to believe in the other?

I will bow out at this point then.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:19 AM   #35
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So in your world, all accusations are real and true every single time?
Nope. Not once have I said that or even implied it.

In my world though I do not dismiss the statement of a 13 year old girl who says she was raped because the person she happened to accuse played for my favourite hockey team or that her parents' lawyer was a scummy individual.

Quote:
As for the last bolded...so its OK to claim one side of that conclusion, but "entirely classless" to believe in the other?

I will bow out at this point then.
At no point have I said that Gilmour did it and it was "sealed" for me. Outside of maybe a couple jokes, I have never even suggested that it was at all likely that he did do it. In the quote you bolded, I explicitly stated it could have happened or it might not have. I wasn't there. I'm just not prepared to call a 13 year old potential rape victim a liar, to each their own I guess...
Old 11-24-2017, 12:27 AM   #36
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellanor View Post
I lived two doors down from him and went to school with his daughter. I didn't really follow hockey at the time, so to me the trade meant losing a friend.
Me too! (Well, went to school with his daughter, that is. I did not knowingly live four doors down from you nor with you.)
Old 11-24-2017, 01:40 AM   #37
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope. Not once have I said that or even implied it.

In my world though I do not dismiss the statement of a 13 year old girl who says she was raped because the person she happened to accuse played for my favourite hockey team or that her parents' lawyer was a scummy individual.

At no point have I said that Gilmour did it and it was "sealed" for me. Outside of maybe a couple jokes, I have never even suggested that it was at all likely that he did do it. In the quote you bolded, I explicitly stated it could have happened or it might not have. I wasn't there. I'm just not prepared to call a 13 year old potential rape victim a liar, to each their own I guess...
Had 14 year Jane Doe went to her parents or the police I would agree, Her parents read about "sexual" encounters with Gilmour in her diary and instead of calling the cops to investigate they hired the sleaziest lawyer this side of James "Jimmy" McGill to extort money from Doug and the Blues.

This went away mostly because some of the "encounters" in the diary were when Doug was on the road or just didn't fit a timeline. The lawyer was arrested for extortion and I hope the young lady learned not to write her fantasies in a diary.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #38
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting article, however those of us who are old enough.

I bet have heard a different version of the story....

(Calgary to Toronto trade)
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:12 AM   #39
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Further to OR's and T99's discussion, did Gilmour not marry a 17/18 year-old MLG page upon retirement? While that in no way proves the stat rape allegation, it does suggest his creep meter goes to 11...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #40
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
This went away mostly because some of the "encounters" in the diary were when Doug was on the road or just didn't fit a timeline. The lawyer was arrested for extortion and I hope the young lady learned not to write her fantasies in a diary.
Can you provide any source for this information?