Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #21
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Yeah I don't see Brett Wilson spending $300 million for a new arena. I really don't see any possible Flames owner agreeing to the terms presented by the city.
Yeah Wilson has been very much on the same page as the current ownership, so it would be odd for him to buy the team and then take the city's offer.
I do think though he is a guy that maybe would take a different approach in the negotiations.
Either way though I don't see it being a realistic scenario that he buys the team at all.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #22
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Between the Flames looking at Turris, and persisting with Bennett at centre long after it was clear it wasn't working, I get the distinct impression management does not want to re-sign Backlund.
Treliving has stated many times he's still looking for scoring (as he should). I think looking at Turris is more in line with that than with wanting to sign Backlund.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #23
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Yeah I don't see Brett Wilson spending $300 million for a new arena. I really don't see any possible Flames owner agreeing to the terms presented by the city.
An arena won't get built on the city's terms, nor the Flames'. The main thing a change in ownership might do is reset the discussion to something more constructive than it has been so far.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #24
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Good news to see the cap to 80+ next year as an estimate. Sure the Oilers get some some breathing room as well, but it should help get Backlund done if that's the case.
Interesting. Are the Flames better or worse off than other teams if forced to manage to a tighter cap? Starting next year, Brouwer is really the only bad contract. A higher cap probably doesn’t help the Flames as much as other teams.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #25
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder what the Flames would have had to offer to get Turris.

From what the Preds gave up it would seem like Andersson, Dube, 2nd would be equivalent value.

Not sure where Turris fits long term at the $6M cap and what they would have meant for Backs.

Centre depth of Monahan, Backlund, Turris, Jankowski with our goalie and top 4 D would have the Flames built to go really deep in the playoffs but tough to keep that group together.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #26
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
This really isnt true. The sport was created before the league. The players are the product, which the owners have little impact on developing. Cities pay for the arenas. The media companies package the product. The NHL and its owners do very, very little. They don't even take a lot of risk since the salary cup limits player salaries and the players would be locked out in the event revenues fell drastically.

The owners literally do almost nothing. All they do is generate economic rent by owning the right to the stanely cup and being entrenched in major markets

It is true because the economics of top tear sports have changed drastically since the league started. Like it or not hockey is more about business now than it ever has been.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #27
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
This really isnt true. The sport was created before the league. The players are the product, which the owners have little impact on developing. Cities pay for the arenas. The media companies package the product. The NHL and its owners do very, very little. They don't even take a lot of risk since the salary cup limits player salaries and the players would be locked out in the event revenues fell drastically.

The owners literally do almost nothing. All they do is generate economic rent by owning the right to the stanely cup and being entrenched in major markets

I always find that funny to hear...

To me, the product is the team, not the players. If the league wasn't made up of the current players, it would be made up of others. Especially in this era of free agency, when players move around much more than they used to...

Without the owners, there would be no team either. I am fond of players, etc, but I cheer/bleed for the team... which I guess I tie more to the owners than the players.

I guess I think it harder to replace an owner than it is to replace a player. Probably also why the last name I got on a jersey was MacInnis.

Just me...
Lord Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #28
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just like that he gave a shout out to Malcolm Young at the end.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #29
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe there is a discussion about the Flames leaving by guys like Friedmann.

CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #30
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Shaws bought the Flames would it result in any sort of perks?
When Rogers bought the Blue Jays, a (largely annoying) increase in coverage resulted.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:45 PM   #31
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Edwards sold the team to other local ownership would it lead to the Stampeders finally getting a new indoor or open roof design stadium?
Would it lead the way to a new Flames arena?
Would it result in Ken King being let go?
Old 11-23-2017, 11:03 PM   #32
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnage View Post
I always find that funny to hear...

To me, the product is the team, not the players. If the league wasn't made up of the current players, it would be made up of others. Especially in this era of free agency, when players move around much more than they used to...

Without the owners, there would be no team either. I am fond of players, etc, but I cheer/bleed for the team... which I guess I tie more to the owners than the players.

I guess I think it harder to replace an owner than it is to replace a player. Probably also why the last name I got on a jersey was MacInnis.

Just me...
I get identifying more with the team as players come and go but I have a hard time thinking of the owners that way. For example I was a Stamps fan even through some very bad owners.

But surely a player comes along once in awhile that you cheer for and follow even if not on your team. After all, they are what make the game.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:00 AM   #33
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bottom line is: is the Houston owner going to spend $500 million to buy Calgary or $200 million for Phoenix so he can move the franchise.

Again again again to the gullible, ignorant or deceitful: there is no business to move the Flames. Not going to happen.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:19 AM   #34
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't Wilson have ownership in the Predators? He would have to sell that before he bought into the Flames.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:22 AM   #35
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

5%. He's not a huge stakeholder of the Predators.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:22 AM   #36
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe CP can take up a collection and we could buy the team. Then we'd really have a reason to complain about these overpaid bums!
Old 11-24-2017, 12:29 AM   #37
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I get identifying more with the team as players come and go but I have a hard time thinking of the owners that way. For example I was a Stamps fan even through some very bad owners.

But surely a player comes along once in awhile that you cheer for and follow even if not on your team. After all, they are what make the game.

I hear ya re: those questionable Stamps owners. Still, without an owner, there is no team. I also didn't like that ownership, but better than no owner so no team.

As to a player (or players) to cheer for? Sure thing - definitely... but NOT more than the team. Again, to me, the team makes the game, not the player.
Lord Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Carnage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #38
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Bottom line is: is the Houston owner going to spend $500 million to buy Calgary or $200 million for Phoenix so he can move the franchise.

Again again again to the gullible, ignorant or deceitful: there is no business to move the Flames. Not going to happen.
If an expansion team is worth $500 million why are Coyotes only worth $200 million?

If the intent is to move the team, why are Flames worth $300 million more?

Flames aren’t moving to Houston but I don’t believe this is the reason..
Old 11-24-2017, 09:40 AM   #39
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If an expansion team is worth $500 million why are Coyotes only worth $200 million?

If the intent is to move the team, why are Flames worth $300 million more?

Flames aren’t moving to Houston but I don’t believe this is the reason..
Well one is an AHL and the other one is a NHL one.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #40
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
5%. He's not a huge stakeholder of the Predators.
Still, he has to sell his portion of the Preds first. 5% is probably not much for one of the other owners to assume thought. However, is Wilson interested in owning a portion of the Flames or is he happy with his small % of Preds ownership?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote