Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #4101
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Wishful thinking but Brodie and Bennett for Tavares and send us back our 2nd from the Hamonic trade. Is that overpayment for a UFA? Would Tavares resign with us and could we afford him?
Getting greedy asking for the 2nd back.

Personally I think Tavares would cost Backlund, Bennett, and 2 or 3 of our best prospects. I would think the islanders would want a centre more than a Dman in return. They could also Duchene the trade by sending Backlund elsewhere for futures.

If the Flames trade for Tavares then there is no room for Backs. JT would cost $10M AAV and with Monahan at $6.4 there is no room to pay Backlund $5-$6M per on our third line.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #4102
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tavares is going to be looking at 12M in UFA if he wants it.

So not only would you give up Bennett, Brodie, but Backlund as well to free agency.

But yes, the Flames could afford him with a salary structure close to (don't look too much into the lineup itself):

Gaudreau (6.75M)-Tavares(12M)-Ferland(1.75M)
Tkachuk(0.925M)-Monahan(6.375M)-Frolik(4.3M)
Lazar(0.950M)-Jankowski(~1M)-Brower(4.5M)
1M-2M-1M
1M
1M

Giordano(6.75M)-Hamilton(5.75M)
Kulak(~1M)-Hamonic(3.86M)
Kylington(0.75M)-Stone(3.5M)
1M

Smith (4.25M)
1M

~1M in buyouts

That's roughly 73M. Got to account for future Tkachuk contract but that's about it in terms of major raises.

If the cap does go to 80M, there might be enough wiggle room to keep Backlund, but arguably they would need to look at a better number 4/5 defenseman or right-winger.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 11-23-2017 at 01:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #4103
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I definitely could see the Flames being a big player for Tavares if he does in fact get traded.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #4104
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I definitely could see the Flames being a big player for Tavares if he does in fact get traded.
Call me crazy but unless they plan on converting Tavares to a RW permanently I don't see the fit. Gaudreau and Monahan have cemented themselves as one of just a handful of true dynamic duos in the league, and there's no way you go all-in on Tavares just to play him on the second line.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #4105
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Call me crazy but unless they plan on converting Tavares to a RW permanently I don't see the fit. Gaudreau and Monahan have cemented themselves as one of just a handful of true dynamic duos in the league, and there's no way you go all-in on Tavares just to play him on the second line.
Crosby/Malkin, Sakic/Forsberg, Yzerman/Fedorov. Having two #1 centres gives you a great chance at the cup.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #4106
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Now that the Isles have a legit #2 center in Barzal, I don't think they trade Tavares.

They could actually make some noise eventually with that tandem. They will pay him his 10.5 mill or whatever it is and be done with it.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #4107
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree. A prime Tavares at 27 is just something that doesn't come along often. If you can get him, you do it, and worry about line combinations after.

We're still in a league where the reigning Stanley Cup Champions have Malkin as their "second line center". Center depth is key.

If you can do a top 6 of:

Gaudreau-Monahan-XXX
Tkachuk-Tavares-XXX

and it gels, regardless of which line you want to call the top line, that's a good problem to have obviously. Try and stack the PP and have the other team pick their poison. I'd love that.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #4108
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default 2017/2018 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:

I’m today’s NHL a lot of top sixes are interchangeable. It’s more like a 1a 1b set up than a dedicated first and second line.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Tavares - Bennett

Looks pretty good to me

Last edited by bax; 11-23-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #4109
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I just don't see Tavares as a super high priority given the gaping holes at other positions (i.e. RW, bottom 6). For the price he'll fetch I feel like there's better value to be had elsewhere for a team that's relatively deep at centre ice already.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #4110
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it depends on who you trade for him. Tavares would make the top 6 pretty solid. If need be the team can fill the bottom 6 with prospects, and it's really only the bottom 3 that need that much upgrade.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:29 PM   #4111
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

IMO, I see the Isles paying Tavares. I don't think he gets a sniff at FA or gets traded.

The Following User Says Thank You to ClubFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #4112
Knut

Exp:

Tavares will take the Stamkos deal and stay in NY .
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #4113
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tavares and the bottom 6 should have no bearing on one another really.

When it comes to RW, I can see the argument but disagree. Wing is just so much less valuable compared to center and Tavares has shown he can run a line with himself. Take a look at Bailey's career:

2014-2015 - 70 GP - 41 Points (48 pro-rated)
2015-2016 - 81 GP - 32 Points
2016-2017 - 82 GP - 56 Points
2017-2018 - 21 GP - 26 Points (102 pro-rated)

I'll give you three guesses which of those years Bailey didn't play with Tavares and instead played with Lee and Nielsen.

Tavares has shown he can turn a 30 point scrub like Bailey into a 50+ point player.

Take a look at Okposo's best years and see who his center was...

If you get Tavares, you don't need to worry about a right winger.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #4114
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Having 2 legit number 1 centre’s doesn’t hurt. We have 2 #1 LW in Gaudreau and Tkachuk. Let Tkachuk play with Tavares and Monahan and Gaudreau stay together.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #4115
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess I just don't see Tavares as a super high priority given the gaping holes at other positions (i.e. RW, bottom 6). For the price he'll fetch I feel like there's better value to be had elsewhere for a team that's relatively deep at centre ice already.
Monahan is a #1C bit Tavares is a Franchise centre.

I don’t see wingers and bottom 6 as a priority over filling a key position.

If a player like that hits the trade market it is worth chasing that player.

Personally I think he stays in NY as he has always said that is his intention.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #4116
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Tavares will take the Stamkos deal and stay in NY .
I don't use absolutes too much, but he's not signing for 8.5M. I just can't see it.

First, 8.5M in New York is not the same as 8.5M in Florida. Stamkos is taking home roughly 5.2M of his salary in Florida after taxes. For Tavares to bring in 5.2M from New York he has to be paid 10M.

And not that there wasn't smoke with Stamkos, but there's always been that added bit with Tavares in part because of how poorly the Islanders have been. He's been past the first round once in his career. This summer reports of sources saying that before negotiating numbers Tavares wants to see what happens with the arena and wants to see the team make the playoffs and beyond. If the Islanders falter, that could be enough for Tavares to reconsider staying in New York.

In any case, I really don't see him signing for anything under 10M. If he does, the Islanders got an absolute steal of a deal for him. Personally, I'm expecting 11M+ and I would be happy if the Flames signed it.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #4117
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You are crazy.

Assuming that there is room for his salary, he would be one of the few players in the league that any team wants.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #4118
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I’m today’s NHL a lot of top sixes are interchangeable. It’s more like a 1a 1b set up then a dedicated first and second line.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Tavares - Bennett

Looks pretty good to me
Old 11-23-2017, 03:01 PM   #4119
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Dube-Tavares-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Frolik
Bennett-Hathaway-Brouwer
Foo

Not that I want to lose Backlund, but damn, that looks good.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #4120
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Friedman | The rumors are crazy in Montreal
https://www.fanragsports.com/friedma...y-in-montreal/

“I think with Carey Price, I think there’s a different dynamic at play here,” considered Friedman. “And that is – if you guys know Montreal at all, there is another level to what goes on in Montreal. And that is when things go badly, it doesn’t necessarily become about on-ice, it becomes off-ice. The rumors are crazy in Montreal. And we’ve seen a couple of cases where Galchenyuk, what he might be going through was brought up on the air. Some rumors about Price’s family were brought up on the air.

“If you told me that Carey Price told the Montreal Canadiens he wants out of there, I would believe it 100 percent. If Carey Price is getting traded, I’m not sure it’s a hockey reason. I think it’s an ‘I’m sick of this B.S.’ reason.

“When his wife has to go on Instagram and say everything is okay, I know if that was me I’d be furious. I don’t tag my wife in social media. I don’t ever tweet at her. I don’t want people out there knowing who I’m married to. I just don’t need her getting that stuff.

“With Price, if he ever said, ‘I want to go,’ I couldn’t blame him.”

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
Closed Thread