Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #2881
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Had my local UCP candidate, who is a friend, at my door today. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that Kenney is scummy and sleazy. I don’t know who I can vote for.
Is your local UCP candidate and friend a scummy sleazy person as well?
maybe he'd be better served with you telling him how you feel, and asking him his opinion and how he plans to make Alberta a better place if elected?
Old 03-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #2882
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 03-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #2883
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Fildebrandt confirms Brian Jean helping Freedom Conservative Party

Quote:
The leader of the Freedom Conservative Party of Alberta (FCP) says former Wildrose Party leader Brian Jean has been giving him advice ahead of the province's spring election.

FCP Leader Derek Fildebrandt, the MLA for Strathmore-Brooks, confirmed to Radio-Canada on Friday that Jean is in conversation with the FCP.

"Brian's got a lot of experience and he's been giving me advice about leadership of the party, about things we can do for the coming election," Fildebrandt said. "He's been helping me to become a better leader, because I'm very new to the job."

Fildebrandt wouldn't confirm the nature of Jean's role, and didn't say that Jean could become the party's leader.
Quote:
Fildebrandt was asked Friday how it would be for him to give the leadership of the party he founded to someone else.

He said he's just happy to have Jean involved with his party, and doesn't know how far the former Wildrose leader's involvement will go.

"But I'll tell you this," Fildebrandt said. "I've never aspired to lead. I've only just wanted to represent my constituents, to represent the people of Strathmore-Brooks and now Chestermere-Strathmore, to stand for the conservative values that I stand for, and to have a free vote.

"And as long as a leader gives me the right to speak freely, speak my mind, and to vote freely on every bill, I mean, I don't need to lead a party."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...erta-1.5059258
Old 03-17-2019, 05:41 PM   #2884
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any money aspect to this and....wow on top of wow.

I guess I have the same question as before: why? Was internal polling putting Jean or someone way out front? I just don't get it...
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:51 PM   #2885
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Fildebrandt confirms Brian Jean helping Freedom Conservative Party

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...erta-1.5059258
Imo this is a smoke screen. Jean can smell blood and is probably looking to pressure Kenney into resigning so he can come back and lead the UCP
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #2886
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Imo this is a smoke screen. Jean can smell blood and is probably looking to pressure Kenney into resigning so he can come back and lead the UCP
Jean comes in to lead the Freedom Party (party of 2!), merges with UCP and has a brief leadership race before the election?

Is there even time for that?
Old 03-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #2887
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Any attempt by Kenney to deflect about the economy is second fiddle right now. I think he needs to come clean and show Albertans he isn't some devious and conniving politician, although I'm not holding my breath.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #2888
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Any attempt by Kenney to deflect about the economy is second fiddle right now. I think he needs to come clean and show Albertans he isn't some devious and conniving politician, although I'm not holding my breath.
It doesn't matter what he says or has said. There will always be people who will not trust anything he says. Many people have already made their minds up.The RCMP investigation will give us the truth but sadly it won't be done by the time we vote.

The reality is the investigation is doing the Dippers a huge favour with their US style election/smear campaign. They won't have to defend their record on jobs, economy or the carbon tax. Make Kenney look like the bogeyman and if they're lucky enough, it will win them another election.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #2889
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn't matter what he says or has said. There will always be people who will not trust anything he says. Many people have already made their minds up.The RCMP investigation will give us the truth but sadly it won't be done by the time we vote.

The reality is the investigation is doing the Dippers a huge favour with their US style election/smear campaign. They won't have to defend their record on jobs, economy or the carbon tax. Make Kenney look like the bogeyman and if they're lucky enough, it will win them another election.
Do you doubt the emails and the person in the story that Kenny coordinated with Callaway for him to enter the race, attack Brian Jean, then withdraw with Kenny’s talking points? I don’t think their is reason to doubt this based on current info.

Calling him a slimy politician at this point isn’t a smear. It seems a reasonably factual description. This investigation being news rather than a footnote is Kenny’s fault.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #2890
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

No doubt Kenney is as slimey as they come. Nasty stuff, and totally unnecessary.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:21 PM   #2891
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm going to look through and read our party's charter and see if there is a provision for recall. The last thing this party needs is another Redford.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #2892
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Do you doubt the emails and the person in the story that Kenny coordinated with Callaway for him to enter the race, attack Brian Jean, then withdraw with Kenny’s talking points? I don’t think their is reason to doubt this based on current info.
It raises serious questions that need to be answered. For me it raises my doubts about him as a leader and would love for the investigation to be done before we vote. I wasn't going to vote NDP but now I may have to look at other parties if no new info becomes available.

Quote:
Calling him a slimy politician at this point isn’t a smear. It seems a reasonably factual description. This investigation being news rather than a footnote is Kenny’s fault.
Everything the NDP has done until recently has been a smear. Of course calling him slimy is not a smear but it does fit into the Notley campaign of who do you trust more as a leader. TBQH Notley is not stupid and is very smart, and what she is doing might just win her the election.

What bugs me the most about elections are the smearing and the negative attacks from both sides. I want all parties to tell me what they are going to do for Albertans as opposed to what we see now and will in the next month.

Run a campaign on your record or platform and defend it. It's what i'd like to see but I'm not holding my breath for that.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #2893
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

10.1. The Association will adhere to certain constitutional documents ratified and maintained by the
Members including but not limited to:
(a) A Policy Declaration that includes a statement of Principles;
(b) A Governance Manual that includes rules governing:
i. the conduct, selection and review of the leader;
ii. the recognition of constituency associations;
iii. the conduct of Caucus; and
iv. dispute resolution.
Apparently we have a governance manual. Going to try to find it and read through.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #2894
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
I'm going to look through and read our party's charter and see if there is a provision for recall. The last thing this party needs is another Redford.
Sure, but what a disaster. If the election is called tomorrow or Tuesday, recall and any talk of that is off the table. You couldn’t get it done in a day, and obviously a campaign during a time when there is a recall campaign going on would be a disaster to say the least. It’s too late to get Kenney out at this point.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:59 PM   #2895
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://www.unitedconservative.ca/Co...%20Conduct.pdf
Quote:

Contestants in leadership elections shall comply with the rules established by the

Leadership
Election Committee and the Interim Joint Board.

Contestants in nomination contests and nominated candidates shall comply with the rules

established by
the Nominations Committee and the Interim Joint Board.

ENFORCEMENT
Any conduct that a member of the UCP reasonably believes is a breach of this code shall

be
reported to the Executive Director, who shall determine whether the conduct

complained
of, if'true, would constitute a breach of this code and whether there is

sufficient evidenoe to warrant a finding that this code has been breached.
Going to look at who the Executive Director is. Wow that formatted weird.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #2896
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Alberta Politics Thread v2

Quote:
It raises serious questions that need to be answered. For me it raises my doubts about him as a leader and would love for the investigation to be done before we vote. I wasn't going to vote NDP but now I may have to look at other parties if no new info becomes available.

Everything the NDP has done until recently has been a smear. Of course calling him slimy is not a smear but it does fit into the Notley campaign of who do you trust more as a leader. TBQH Notley is not stupid and is very smart, and what she is doing might just win her the election.

What bugs me the most about elections are the smearing and the negative attacks from both sides. I want all parties to tell me what they are going to do for Albertans as opposed to what we see now and will in the next month.

Run a campaign on your record or platform and defend it. It's what i'd like to see but I'm not holding my breath for that.

This has been Kenney up until this point. He had done nothing constructive, but attempts to discredit and in some cases like the rail cars, sabotage the government’s work. What has he actually done?

I don’t think I would give Kenney a pass on this while targeting the NDP for this behavior. UCP has been relentless.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #2897
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think it's too late. Notley hasn't called the election.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:06 PM   #2898
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Executive Director is Janice Harrington.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #2899
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3785433/j...-jason-kenney/

Wish I would have twigged to this article when it came out. Kenney needs to go.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #2900
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
This has been Kenney up until this point. He had done nothing constructive, but attempts to discredit and in some cases like the rail cars, sabotage the government’s work. What has he actually done?

I don’t think I would give Kenney a pass on this while targeting the NDP for this behavior. UCP has been relentless.
Have you missed all the platform statements he's made and what he plans to implement should he become Premier of this province?

Of course Kenney and the UCP are guilty of attacking the NDP and their policies. Some of it being deserved like campaigning inside the Chinook hospital.

Have the UCP created 3 websites to smear Notley? Or Have they made it part of their election platform like the NDP has?

Furthermore, if we are to look back at all the spending the Dippers have done lately it raises concerns for me that we will get much of the same should Notley get re elected. Out of control spending with a continued growth in the debt and the associated credit down grades that go with it. She loves to spend taxpayers money with little or no regard to the ever growing debt.