Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-01-2022, 11:07 AM   #1121
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It’s not so much that people are making guesses and giving opinions. They are stating, as a fact, that Treliving did or didn’t do this or that. Or could have don this or that. It’s usually narrative based.
Example, someone said recently:

“He could’ve easily signed Mangiapane and possibly even Matthew Tkachuk to long term sweetheart deals a few years back and would only have to deal with Gaudreau and Kylington this time around with a lot more cap flexibility.”

Not only is this not a hypothetical, it’s not even a correct recollection of the cap situation when Tkachuk and Mangiapane signed their RFA deals. And in Tkachuk’s case, I’m pretty sure the term was exactly what he wanted and he stood fast on it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:11 AM   #1122
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Well Francis is sure trying to push that on Flames Talk last Friday. Johnny will walk for nothing, Tkachuk is going to walk for nothing, both don't want to really be here. Team might not even be here down the road. Just his typical try to drive our superstars out of town. I have no idea why the Flames organization do not just blackball him from anything to do with the team.
Lol. Francis isn’t running anybody out of town. There’s probably a Francis in most markets. Players on not listening to him. The same goes for when posters say that other cp posters are running players out of town with negative comments . These players know it’s just par for the course.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:42 AM   #1123
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Example, someone said recently:

“He could’ve easily signed Mangiapane and possibly even Matthew Tkachuk to long term sweetheart deals a few years back and would only have to deal with Gaudreau and Kylington this time around with a lot more cap flexibility.”

Not only is this not a hypothetical, it’s not even a correct recollection of the cap situation when Tkachuk and Mangiapane signed their RFA deals. And in Tkachuk’s case, I’m pretty sure the term was exactly what he wanted and he stood fast on it.
That is correct. Tkachuk was never signing a long term sweetheart deal. If he would have, it would have been done. He wanted to become a UFA as soon as he could. Not necessarily to leave, but to maximize his leverage. That's what players do. Especially the Tkachuks. Brady signed his deal because he got mega dough considering his production.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:01 PM   #1124
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
That is correct. Tkachuk was never signing a long term sweetheart deal. If he would have, it would have been done. He wanted to become a UFA as soon as he could. Not necessarily to leave, but to maximize his leverage. That's what players do. Especially the Tkachuks. Brady signed his deal because he got mega dough considering his production.
That $9M QO isn’t chump change either.
Old 02-01-2022, 12:24 PM   #1125
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We need to take the fan aspect out of this conversation, JG and MT like playing in Calgary, they don't like the Flames as much as the fans, this is their employer not their favourite team.
I'm pretty sure most players give up having a favourite team once they get to about 18 and realize its a business.
JG has all the leverage going into UFA, there is no reason to sign before July 1, he's on pace for 100 points, is going to be the most desired player in UFA, why would he sign with the Flames before that?
MT previous deal is structured to give him all the leverage, do we think he structured it that way just to sign a long term deal for 7MM a season? Both these players are going to cash in and have every right to.
Flames would have to offer 11.5 for JG to avoid UFA, there will be big offers out there this summer, we all speculate on Philly, NJ, etc. there's always a dark horse or two that clear space and could make a move. Chi, Carolina, Nash all could make it work too.
I think Carolina could be the surprise come July 1
Old 02-01-2022, 12:43 PM   #1126
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
We need to take the fan aspect out of this conversation, JG and MT like playing in Calgary, they don't like the Flames as much as the fans, this is their employer not their favourite team.
I'm pretty sure most players give up having a favourite team once they get to about 18 and realize its a business.
JG has all the leverage going into UFA, there is no reason to sign before July 1, he's on pace for 100 points, is going to be the most desired player in UFA, why would he sign with the Flames before that?
The reason would be the 8th year that the Flames can offer.
But he can still try and get that I suppose after July 1st with the Flames.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:09 PM   #1127
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
My reaction is more towards the Flyers GM stating the bank will be open in the off season - pretty close to tampering imo. I never listen to anything Francis says
It was worse than the GM stating that....it was the owner (guy who runs the Flyers for Comcast) that stated that. I listened to the presser live and just about drove off the road at that mention.

Really, IMO, made the lean if Johnny was staying or going.....to going.

If he wants to play in Philly, they will make him a very wealthy man to do so.

The one thing that might swing that is Philly doesnt particularly look like they will be competitive next year regardless if JG goes there or not.
Old 02-01-2022, 01:37 PM   #1128
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Exactly, no reason to sign before July 1st, see what's out there and then come back to the Flames if that's the best offer
Old 02-01-2022, 01:54 PM   #1129
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Can he? I thought the 8th year has to be signed before July 1. Wasn't this why all the heat was on Landeskog right before midnight?

I could be wrong though...
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jroc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2022, 01:55 PM   #1130
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
Can he? I thought the 8th year has to be signed before July 1. Wasn't this why all the heat was on Landeskog right before midnight?

I could be wrong though...
Actually i might be wrong about that.
I can't recall.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:59 PM   #1131
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
It was worse than the GM stating that....it was the owner (guy who runs the Flyers for Comcast) that stated that. I listened to the presser live and just about drove off the road at that mention.

The one thing that might swing that is Philly doesnt particularly look like they will be competitive next year regardless if JG goes there or not.
https://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...ertime-podcast

Quote:
Steph Driver joins Bill Matz on the postgame for this momentous occasion. They talk about The Winter of Gerald, Cam Atkinson, Carter Hart, and JVR. Also about what this team could look like after an agressive retool. And, of course, no Flyers podcast would be complete without discussing Johnny Gaudreau.
It would be a bit of an upset given the all-in direction if Gaudreau doesn't end up with the Flyers. Flyers fans and bloggers discuss this as much as Flames fans at this stage.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:01 PM   #1132
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure why Treliving is waiting so long to "figure" things out. If Gaudreau hasn't been signed by now, you make a move so the team can make adjustments and focus on making the playoffs. Unless the hold up is the salary AAV.
For Tkachuk, I'm all for selling now while he's having a career year because he's shown in the past, he can completely disappear in games when they mean something. Also you know he's holding out for a big contract as well.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:34 PM   #1133
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly this is where I wonder about the GMs job security and the factor it plays in potentially bad long term decisions.

If you are Brad Treliving you are on a bit of a hot seat, I still don't fully believe the hiring of Sutter was 100% his decision, and I don't think ownership were very happy with 19-20 or 20-21 season.

So if you need to have a good year this season to save your job are you trading Gaudreau and Tkachuk in the off-season? or are you keeping them?

If you need to have a good year you likely need to keep those two guys, or else you're not going to have a job anyways.

So for him it's better to keep them, try to have a good season this year, and then cross that bridge on their contracts when it comes.

Problem is what was best for the team long term might not be his top priority at this point, he probably needed to have some success in 21-22 to even try to survive.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-01-2022 at 02:36 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:42 PM   #1134
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

They could sign Gaudreau and still pick 1st overall. Clear more salary, and then accelerate a rebuild.

His number Is going to start with an $11, and whoever gets him will be lucky if it only starts with that.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:52 PM   #1135
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
For me this points to an obvious situation where the GM likely wasn't pushing hard for a deal as the OP suggests and/or the player simply wants out unless they get maximum value. I highly doubt Guadreau was turning down a long term $7Mish AAV deal last year, which even at the rate he was producing was probably fair for both sides. Now not so much.
I doubt that he was signing a deal at $7M when he could wait until free agency while having an NTC and have the chance to increase his market value with a good season. If he had a meh 2021-22 season, he probably thought he could still get $7 mil on the open market while having the NTC to protect him from getting moved as a rental to a team that he didn't want to go to. If he had a great season (like he is), he could possibly get double digits.
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:55 PM   #1136
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I highly doubt JG was signing a long term deal with a $250K raise. With expected cap increases that’s practically a pay cut.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2022, 03:12 PM   #1137
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaudreau might be worth $11 mil but I doubt any team would give him $11 mil for more than 5 or 6 years. $11 mil at 6 years is $66 mil.

If the Flames offered 8 years at $9 mil that’s $72 mil. Johnny would take it unless he wants out. I bet the problem is Treliving wants the discount cap hit on the 6 year deal. Treliving has a history of not giving out 8 year deals and seems to really like 6 year deals. My guess is that is why it’s not done assuming Johnny actually wants to stay.

Brad needs to grow a pair and sign him until he’s 37 but I’m sure he won’t. Hopefully he does well with this deal but Johnny on pace for 100+ is not helping him out at getting the desired cap hit and term
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 03:39 PM   #1138
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Gaudreau might be worth $11 mil but I doubt any team would give him $11 mil for more than 5 or 6 years. $11 mil at 6 years is $66 mil.

If the Flames offered 8 years at $9 mil that’s $72 mil. Johnny would take it unless he wants out. I bet the problem is Treliving wants the discount cap hit on the 6 year deal. Treliving has a history of not giving out 8 year deals and seems to really like 6 year deals. My guess is that is why it’s not done assuming Johnny actually wants to stay.

Brad needs to grow a pair and sign him until he’s 37 but I’m sure he won’t. Hopefully he does well with this deal but Johnny on pace for 100+ is not helping him out at getting the desired cap hit and term
Johnny would accept the 6 year deal rather than the 8 year deal at $6M more in total money. Firstly, he could make more that $6M more in years 7-8. Or he could sit at home.

Treliving understands Johnny will get an 8 year deal from Calgary or he’s walking.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 03:44 PM   #1139
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny will get max term and $10-$11.5M thrown at him in free agency if he keeps having the season he is. He could win the Hart then hit the UFA market
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:02 PM   #1140
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’d bet he won’t get $10.5 mil or more on 7 or 8 year deal.

If he resigns with the Flames it will be 8 years and less than $10 mil.

Who at age 29 playing the wing got max term and $10 mil plus? Panarin was 27 and about to turn 28 on October of the year he signed. Got 7 years and $11.6.mil is the closest comparable. Johnny is a year older and the cap is projected to remain flat for years. This will have a negative impact on his deal

8 years around $9 mil will be close. Less than 10 for sure unless Treliving wants less term
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win