Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2022, 02:36 PM   #2061
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Over the span of a contract longer than a couple years, 20+ of the teams in the NHL are regarded as effectively in the the same competitive band. It’s only the handful of teams at the extremes where it comes into play.
Yeah, the Panthers are the President Trophy winners and they haven't made the second round since 1996. But here they are leading the NHL in points because they sucked so much and got to build around Huberdeau (3rd overall) Barkov (2nd overall) and Ekblad (1st overall).

Look at the entire playoff teams in the east, and nearly all of them are where they are because they sucked. Penguins and Washington goes without saying. Tampa got their many later round gems in Kucherov and Point and friends but they still have Stamkos (1st), Hedman (2nd) and Sergachev (acquired via 3rd overall Drouin). Toronto with Matthews (1st) and Marner (4th). He might not be as important as Aho, but Svechnikov (2nd) is a huge cornerstone of the team. It would be cheating to use the Rangers and Lafrenniere (1st) as an example, but even being eligible for the lottery shows they haven't been consistent, though everyone knows the Rangers have a different philopshy ingrained in them from their "buy the Cup" era.

It's a lot harder to build a team like the Bruins by having constant success.

We saw the end of that era with the Penguins vs Wings back-to-back finals. Then it became relying on being bad to win (Kane/Toews, Doughty from the west) with the Blues being outliers.

Which is why I think Philly does present a unique situation especially if the lottery goes well for them. They were bad this year not because they were supposed to be bad like Arizona or Seattle. But because they lost their most important players for most of the season.

The Devils may be on the upswing as well with Hughes breaking out, Hischier finally showing some of his potential, and prospects like the younger Hughes in the pipeline.

If either of them win the lottery and bring in Wright, that's probably Gaudreau's best bet to sign with a winning team. Not in year 1 necessarily, but year 3 or 4 when you still have these prospects and young players on ELC/bridge contracts or Hughes and Hischier peaking on their first contracts (like Gaudreau is now).
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 02:58 PM   #2062
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If Johnny and Matthew what to go to a team that has a chance to win long term what can the Flames offer them? We have 3 players signed past the next two seasons and 1 RFA. What is the guarantee this team will remain competitive? Make moves to bring in more talent? where is the young talent coming up to support them?
I don't think the flames will be able to afford Lindholm's next contract if Johnny and Matthew are signed, plus the problem with everyone having great years is that they all want to get paid, even if we sign Johnny and Matthew the supporting cast will change dramatically, that plan will be what Johnny and Matthew will want to hear and be convinced will be executed.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:17 PM   #2063
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
You make this post like you are actually an agent, player, or executive but you are just a fan. Telling other fans their opinion is not accurate but yours is doesn’t move the needle for me at all.

Players all have different motivations to play where they do. I think players choose teams they think will have success sooner than later as well as their fit on the team.

I think winning is on par with the other things you have mentioned. I am sure players look at who they would be playing with and the trajectory of the team when making that decision.

Johnny will be a top 1-3 for paid player on any team he signs with and will be expected to be a top player on whatever team he chooses.

If what you said is true the Devils make the most sense since they have the space to offer him money and have some of the best travel in the league.

I think money, role, and chance of winning are just as important or more important than travel, taxes, and geography.
I can't remember if I already posted this, but I think the Devils are the most likely alternative for Johnny. Their biggest need is probably to re-tool/reinforce their G/D a bit, but neither are likely done optimally through UFA (not many D options that aren't ancient; not sure Kuemper or Campbell is the right answer in net). But they also need to consolidate their young forwards sooner than later...I could see them try to extend Severson or Graves, trade Blackwood + F's for a different goalie (Gibson? Hellebuyck?), and trying to sign Johnny.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:50 AM   #2064
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

So where are the posters wanting to let Gaudreau walk? After four games, it has been tight playoff hockey, but Gaudreau has shown up. Where would the club's scoring be in this series without him?

Mangiapane?
Toffoli?
Backlund?
Coleman?
Tkachuk?
Lindholm? not without 13 feeding him

He's the straw that stirs the drink. Take away an ENG and a 5 on 3, our offense has been Gaudreau and Trevor Lewis.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 08:52 AM   #2065
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good lord the "calling out" of people on here is so friggin tiresome.

Especially when it's every couple of games.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 11:33 AM   #2066
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Good lord the "calling out" of people on here is so friggin tiresome.

Especially when it's every couple of games.
So it's okay for posters to (continually) call out players, the GM, whoever you want, but it's not okay for other posters to call out those (tiresome) posters?

Why are negative opinions perfectly acceptable, but not liking those opinions isn't?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 11:53 AM   #2067
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
So it's okay for posters to (continually) call out players, the GM, whoever you want, but it's not okay for other posters to call out those (tiresome) posters?

Why are negative opinions perfectly acceptable, but not liking those opinions isn't?
I thought it was pretty clear that both scenarios are tiresome.

A good stretch from the team/players and it's "ooh where's all the pessimists hiding?"

A bad stretch from the team/players and it's "ooh where's all the optimistic posters now?"

Good lord it's an endless cycle of "I told you so's" in every thread, and thread bumps, etc.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 12:29 PM   #2068
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I thought it was pretty clear that both scenarios are tiresome.

A good stretch from the team/players and it's "ooh where's all the pessimists hiding?"

A bad stretch from the team/players and it's "ooh where's all the optimistic posters now?"

Good lord it's an endless cycle of "I told you so's" in every thread, and thread bumps, etc.
End of the day there were some absolutely embarrassing takes after that game 3 loss. I get our fanbase has been long suffering but some of the takes were absolutely pathetic so I think a clap back after last night was warranted.

There are certain posters who only like to talk when it is negative.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 12:57 PM   #2069
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
Invisible Playoff Johnny can eff off and get his $10 mil per year somewhere else. There’s still enough talent on this team to make up the scoring. That’s money better spent elsewhere.
Wall of Shame Hall of Fame.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:59 PM   #2070
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

or we could wait to see how it all unfolds to make the final call

Gaudreau is tied for the scoring lead in the series though
Tkachuk is one point back

Its kinda funny, a 100 point guy on a team that misses the playoffs almost has an advantage. Harder to score in the playoffs, you are more likely to bring your stock down than up.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:24 PM   #2071
Squirrel
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I just think that JG’s skill set and pending price tag don’t fit with building a team that can challenge for a cup.
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:25 PM   #2072
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just think that JG’s skill set and pending price tag don’t fit with building a team that can challenge for a cup.
Toronto is probably considered a team that was building towards being a contender when they signed Tavares.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:30 PM   #2073
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You won't even have a sniff at the playoffs without Johnny. This club has negative offense without him on the team.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:39 PM   #2074
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If Johnny doesn’t re-sign it’s full rebuild time. No way to replace that production in free agency. And without him, this team probably doesn’t make the playoffs.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:43 PM   #2075
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
If Johnny doesn’t re-sign it’s full rebuild time. No way to replace that production in free agency. And without him, this team probably doesn’t make the playoffs.
I'm done with the Flames and the NHL if Johnny doesn't come back.

Product is already hard enough to watch without the best player in the NHL.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:50 PM   #2076
Squirrel
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Definitely a huge amount of offensive production to replace.
I’ve just felt for a few years now that they’ve needed to completely reinvent the core of the team. I guess Father Time and the salary cap will eventually take of that.
Still holding out hope that Chucky can take the reigns at some point.
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:57 PM   #2077
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Definitely a huge amount of offensive production to replace.
I’ve just felt for a few years now that they’ve needed to completely reinvent the core of the team. I guess Father Time and the salary cap will eventually take of that.
Still holding out hope that Chucky can take the reigns at some point.
Why the heck are think thinking about ditching players and rebuilding the team during the freaking Stanley Cup Playoffs?

You've been talking like the flames missed the playoffs and they're in the offseason.

It's nuts.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 02:24 PM   #2078
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
It's nuts.
Pun intended
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 03:17 PM   #2079
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Your post makes sense. Dammit. Cut it out.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:29 PM   #2080
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Flames weren't playing to their potential in the first 3 games, and it was perfectly fair to call out the team for underperforming.

Were some of the takes unfair and completely over the top? Yes. But some of them weren't.

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win