Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2022, 11:00 AM   #61
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post

There's a bunch of these on local CTV feeds as well.

Basically that all CTV local branches had to setup a talk interview with Omar to congratulate him as new chief news anchor, and read verbatim exactly as told and any mentions of Lisa or asking about Lisa can be grounds to be fired.
I think most reasonable people would concede that this is so, so weird.

Like..."Lisa? Who is that? We've never had a Lisa LaFlamme working here? You must have us confused with someone else...."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 11:19 AM   #62
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post

There's a bunch of these on local CTV feeds as well.

Basically that all CTV local branches had to setup a talk interview with Omar to congratulate him as new chief news anchor, and read verbatim exactly as told and any mentions of Lisa or asking about Lisa can be grounds to be fired.
I think that makes sense. Its a business - if you let someone go you don't go to your customers and tell them what a terrible decision it is. The workers can complain about it off camera.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:22 AM   #63
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I didn’t assume my experiences are universal. That why I asked if my experiences were atypical.

Sounds like your experiences are different. How so? Can you be specific?

Well, having been laid off before and knowing people that have been laid off, it’s not kept secret and sometimes they’re able to keep working during a 2 week period. But no one has been forced to stay hush about it. And certainly no one was hired immediately to replace those laid off.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:33 AM   #64
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon37

Honestly watching the news these days is pretty toxic to your mental health.

Can't believe people still do it religiously after COVID. Way too many low-vibe issues going on and it seems less objective and more agenda-driven than ever.

From what I saw she was good at her job though.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:15 PM   #65
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
If you're male you basically have to assault someone to get fired or go full Cuomo. A woman in their late 50's? Bye bye
In all industries?
Old 08-16-2022, 01:06 PM   #66
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Lloyd Robertson retired.

Here’s my experience in 35 years in the workforce.

* Retire after long tenure: Lunch where company bigwig makes a speech, cake, gift.

* Voluntarily leave: 10-20 colleagues go for drinks and appetizers at pub. Manager picks up the tab.

* Laid off or fired (regardless of tenure): Here’s your severance. Get out.

So is my experience atypical? Or do we just expect these things to work differently with a high-profile media personality?
Yes, and justifiably so.

Your colleagues aren’t in the living rooms of millions of people, not a part of their evenings, aren’t the source of reason and order in the face of chaos and despair. Almost without exception, someone like LaFlamme has a more intimate relationship with more Canadians than Mike from Accounting.

It’s hip to harp on media, because most of it sucks. Even more important then to treat the few bastions of quality with the integrity it deserves.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:39 PM   #67
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
In all industries?
I didn't mean all. Broadcasting
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:03 PM   #68
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Seems to me that CTV botched this horribly. Once the decision was made, let her have a swan song. She was their nightly face for 35 years.

Wonder how much the new guy gets paid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Previous anchors before Lisa were given a grace period before they left. Makes me wonder if there's more to the story.
The way that Bell handled this shouldn't really be a surprise though. It was only 1.5 years ago that Bell basically did the same thing over at TSN with O'Toole and Staniszewski. Both were fired immediately and not given an opportunity to sign off. This basically seems like standard operating practice for them.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:08 PM   #69
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The way that Bell handled this shouldn't really be a surprise though. It was only 1.5 years ago that Bell basically did the same thing over at TSN with O'Toole and Staniszewski. Both were fired immediately and not given an opportunity to sign off. This basically seems like standard operating practice for them.
Again, when you're essentially the biggest game in town you can do whatever you want. Whats anyone going to do about it?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:09 PM   #70
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Sure she made money, and probably got a good package on her way out, but what does she do now?
Governor General? That seems to be the job of choice for retired journalists.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:17 PM   #71
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Honestly, this seems pretty straightforward. You fire someone and then you're going to have then on air with a chance to say goodbye (or anything else they want). What could possibly go wrong?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:29 PM   #72
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Honestly, this seems pretty straightforward. You fire someone and then you're going to have then on air with a chance to say goodbye (or anything else they want). What could possibly go wrong?
It isn't difficult for the folks in the control room to cut the mic or camera if things go off the rails though. Maybe an f-bomb sneaks onto air before the buttons get pressed but the CRTC won't care too much. Or if giving them a live segment at least give them 60 seconds or a couple minutes to record a farewell. If they can't record a cordial message the network doesn't have to air it.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 08-16-2022 at 05:32 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 05:32 PM   #73
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Bell is a #### company with #### values that treats their customers like ####.

Please don't tell me that you're surprised that they also treat their employees like ####.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 07:01 PM   #74
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought she did an incredible job during the pandemic. She became a daily watch for me, as I trusted her to deliver the news of what was happening with the right combination of emotion, gravitas, and accuracy. She was fantastic.

She had a line that shattered me when the first child died of Covid in Canada, where she threw to the story with "More now on a moment of silence while the entire world is screaming".

It hit my like a brick wall because it summed up, in so few words, what I was feeling.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 11:00 AM   #75
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

People still watch the news?
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:03 PM   #76
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Honestly watching the news these days is pretty toxic to your mental health.

Can't believe people still do it religiously after COVID. Way too many low-vibe issues going on and it seems less objective and more agenda-driven than ever.

From what I saw she was good at her job though.
They have the news playing all day in our lunch room. All they do now is focus on as much negative news stories as they can get their hands on with the odd feelgood story thrown in. No wonder people are so unhappy today. As you said it's terrible for your mental health.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/b...s-our-thinking
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:12 PM   #77
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
People still watch the news?
we don't need this dumb take of every page

Continuing as Canada’s #1 national newscast, CTV NATIONAL NEWS is watched on average by 1.1 million Canadians, and grew its lead over its closest competition in the A25-54 demo to +75% vs. GLOBAL NATIONAL, and +115% vs. CBC's THE NATIONAL.
CTV NEWS AT SIX is watched by 1.6 million viewers (+7% P2+) across Canada, and ranks #1 in all diary markets it competes in.

every single day

"I don't do something and therefore nobody else does"
Old 08-17-2022, 12:20 PM   #78
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
They have the news playing all day in our lunch room. All they do now is focus on as much negative news stories as they can get their hands on with the odd feelgood story thrown in. No wonder people are so unhappy today. As you said it's terrible for your mental health.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/b...s-our-thinking
I would guess out of all the news sources out there - straight TV news (i.e. CBC/CTV/NBC/CBS/ABC and not the news opinion stuff) is less negative than most other news sources out there (social media, opinion news, talk radio, etc)
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:35 PM   #79
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
we don't need this dumb take of every page

Continuing as Canada’s #1 national newscast, CTV NATIONAL NEWS is watched on average by 1.1 million Canadians, and grew its lead over its closest competition in the A25-54 demo to +75% vs. GLOBAL NATIONAL, and +115% vs. CBC's THE NATIONAL.
CTV NEWS AT SIX is watched by 1.6 million viewers (+7% P2+) across Canada, and ranks #1 in all diary markets it competes in.

every single day

"I don't do something and therefore nobody else does"
Hi Dino, I’m free to type whatever I want on here, if you don’t like it, that’s your problem. Yes, senior citizens love the news and absolutely no one checks the internet to get news now especially with cord cutting, you’re brilliant.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:43 PM   #80
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd like an app that compiles newstories from multiple sources, strips out the commentary, and puts a BS meter on it.

I miss the old days when channel 13 was like a reuters mail wire where you got the typed news.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: