Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-13-2022, 12:33 PM   #5001
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m frustrated. Changed my toilet flapper with what seems to be the right one (although it’s marketed for another brand of toilet). It seems to fit but the seal is not perfect and it leaks water. I’ve adjusted it a few times. Maybe I have to try to find one for my brand of toilet (Crane).
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #5002
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah toilet flappers are super annoying.. I had that and just tried a different flapper and it worked better. I have another that one in every 20 flushes it won't go back down, so the toilet will just run forever until you jiggle the handle or tap the flapper to get it to fall down.

Annoying, but one of these days it's going to plug and stay open and then flood my house, I just know it.

EDIT: Also bump for anyone that knows anyone that does tile work.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:05 PM   #5003
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Additional worry is we go away for a few days and the toilet keeps running the whole time. That’s one reason I turn the water off when we go away on a trip. I guess I’ll head to a big-box store to see if I can find a different flapper.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:15 PM   #5004
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

FWIW I order this kit about 6 months ago, and it was easy to install and flawless.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:07 PM   #5005
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other than the red colour that looks exactly like the one I bought that won’t seal.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:11 PM   #5006
photon

Exp:

I've thought about replacing the flapper with a full kit like this:

But any time I've ever taken the bolts off a tank I've never been able to get the tank back on without leaks.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:40 PM   #5007
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Looking to get some wood flooring replaced with tile in a kitchen and entry way. Anyone have any recommendations for flooring place or contractor?
https://campbellbrostile.ca/
We used these guys for a barrier free walk-in shower, really happy with them and plan to use them again for both another bathroom and kitchen.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2022, 05:38 PM   #5008
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I've thought about replacing the flapper with a full kit like this:

But any time I've ever taken the bolts off a tank I've never been able to get the tank back on without leaks.
I had to fix 2 toilets at my old condo with that exact kit, they worked great. I had never taken a toilet apart before, but looked it up on youtube and followed the directions and my non-handy ass had both toilets flushing flawlessly in a few hours
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:16 AM   #5009
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody have a storm door installed recently?
Old 08-22-2022, 10:31 AM   #5010
photon

Exp:

Not recently but my dad installed a couple on a rental house 4-5 years ago and they worked great, I keep meaning to have them put on my own house too, being able to have the doors open but keep out the bugs is nice.

I think this is the one we used (or it's very similar): https://www.lowes.ca/product/storm-d...rm-door-585309

Have also been considering the retractable screen doors, the only thing about a storm door is if you like how your front door looks the storm door would obscure it.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:42 AM   #5011
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Keep me posted I would like two of them as well!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:45 AM   #5012
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not recently but my dad installed a couple on a rental house 4-5 years ago and they worked great, I keep meaning to have them put on my own house too, being able to have the doors open but keep out the bugs is nice.

I think this is the one we used (or it's very similar): https://www.lowes.ca/product/storm-d...rm-door-585309

Have also been considering the retractable screen doors, the only thing about a storm door is if you like how your front door looks the storm door would obscure it.
Thanks, but I was also looking for someone to install it. Those Larsons are very good doors though.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:34 PM   #5013
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I installed one of these about 3 weeks ago - took me less than 90 minutes and was surprisingly easy. You'd probably want a second set of hands to help maneuver it into place but after the first couple screws are in it's easy on your own.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/and...oor/1000660879

I'd been trying to find someone to install one for me and finally got fed up after not finding anybody interested.

The home we recently moved into is door crazy lol. We've 6 sets of external french doors plus 3 single doors (equivalent to 15 doors total lol) add to those, 2 sets of french storm doors plus two single storm doors. I figured I'd better learn how to deal with all of them.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 04:13 PM   #5014
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default flooring install

Does anyone have personal, recent experience with any flooring shops and their installers?

I've searched google and reddit Calgary, but the reviews and suggestions are somewhat lacking to be honest, so I thought maybe someone here had some good advice.

I've been scammed/defrauded by a kijiji/facebook guy already, so now I want to go through a reputable storefront since I can't afford to throw money away. And considering this install is going to be in my home while my family is there, I want some decent personnel, who will do a better job than I could do myself.

We have an unfinished basement and stairs that we're hoping to get vinyl plank installed on.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-23-2022, 04:21 PM   #5015
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Does anyone have personal, recent experience with any flooring shops and their installers?

I've searched google and reddit Calgary, but the reviews and suggestions are somewhat lacking to be honest, so I thought maybe someone here had some good advice.

I've been scammed/defrauded by a kijiji/facebook guy already, so now I want to go through a reputable storefront since I can't afford to throw money away. And considering this install is going to be in my home while my family is there, I want some decent personnel, who will do a better job than I could do myself.

We have an unfinished basement and stairs that we're hoping to get vinyl plank installed on.

Thanks for any advice.
Deerfoot Carpet has done a fair amount of work for me on various houses and I have never had a problem with them. Sales people are knowledgeable and I had some warranty issues that needed to be dealt with and they were good.

Installers are a little more hit and miss.
Leondros is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 07:22 PM   #5016
photon

Exp:

I never heard back from the tile installer recommended earlier in the thread (he could be really busy so no worries there), but I did manage to find one through The Tile Box (tile flooring and stuff only as the name implies), they recommended a few different guys.

Just met with him today so I will let you know if I recommend him soon

I'd have to ask him if they do carpet too, I will probably have to do some carpet soon too.

My experience at The Tile Box was pretty good, the guy there is a character and was nice to deal with, he even texted the installer I was working with to confirm what things other than the tile I would need to pick up while I was deciding on tile. They have a bunch of different stuff but some of the nicer stuff they don't have much left.

The tile installer said that a lot of installers don't want to do condos.. difficulty parking, condos having tighter and tighter bylaws and limits on moving materials in and out, etc.

Anyway if he's good I'll put his info here (and ask if he has guys that do carpet too).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 09:20 PM   #5017
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had some tile flooring installed recently. The guy was awful. Terrible experience. I need to get it removed now.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:33 PM   #5018
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post

Thanks for any advice.
Search the Power Ring forum for Silver Edge Flooring Ltd. They did the vinyl plank flooring in my place. The owner is a user here.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2022, 07:01 PM   #5019
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone have any recommendations for a door sweep/seal for a front exterior door? Since changing out doors I now have a noticeable gap on the bottom. All the ones Ive been looking at (home depot online/Amazon) are littered with inconsistent reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2022, 05:03 PM   #5020
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

The latex caulking around the tub is getting old and gaps are showing up.

Should I carve out the old caulk in only the areas/line with gaps to redo it? Or should I go further and all the caulking around the tub?
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote