Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2022, 09:05 AM   #21
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh.

- On demand content
- Access to entire show catalog
- No commercials (except SN/TSN, ha ha)
- Drop provider and pick up again with no hassle
- Way, way, way better picture and sound quality
- Watch on basically anything that has a screen
- Community standards? What community standards?

I can't believe we all just throw HBO in there like it was nothing. That thing was premium content back in the day and was always an expensive add-on.

Last edited by Shazam; 08-11-2022 at 09:07 AM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shazam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 09:26 AM   #22
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is getting out of control.
The best way I find to do it is cycle on and off them and never commit to annual contracts.

Let the Netflix titles you want to watch build up while you catch up on Disney+ or wherever, then switch subscriptions once you've seen what you actually really wanted to watch.

This doesn't work for live sports obviously but I'm perfectly fine waiting to catch up on shows.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:46 AM   #23
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No cable for 6 years. I like the flexibility to cancel and add at will. I cancelled Crave/HBO for 3 months because I was watching other shows. I don't have Prime, but will get it to watch the boys and then cancel again. The only two constants I have are Netflix and Disney and I will likely cancel Netflix. My son watches Disney the most so that stays. We also do TSN from time to time. I watch hockey on the CBC app on apple tv. I get survivor from the global app on appletv.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:50 AM   #24
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

We've got Netflix and Prime which used to cover everything but I find myself sailing the high seas a lot more nowadays.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:21 AM   #25
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

One thing that usually doesn’t get mentioned about cord cutting is how much of a PITA it is when using half a dozen, or more, streaming services.

Cable is just objectively better for sports because I can flip from game to game and channel to channel so much easier than on a streaming service. I also worry way less about which service I’m signed into when I want to switch from hockey to football at intermission.

Because some services are required even with cable, that problem still exists for cable users, just not as much.

Plus I find not having cable is still a pain if I don’t pirate. No more access to random programs on channels I like but don’t watch a ton, like PBS. Also, no more PVRing Big Brother. Now I have to watch with commercials on the ####ty Global app.

I’m actually reasonably happy with the tv/internet I get with Telus. No way I could get as good of a deal if I cord cut and the inconvenience factor would go way up.

But the dedicated streaming services, which have no cable equivalent, like Disney/Amazon/Netflix/apple/paramount, I’m just getting tired of their overpriced services and lack of quality content to justify the price.

It’s gonna go back to the old days where I have cable and then just steal everything that’s not included in the channels i get.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 01:23 PM   #26
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ew, Big Brother.

PBS not being available in Canada is a real disappointment. Isn't it free in the USA?
Old 08-11-2022, 04:34 PM   #27
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I went through this exercise a while ago when I thought my subscriptions were getting out of hand:

Netflix: $16.5
Disney: $10
Prime: $8.25
Apple: $6

$41/month

(Cancelled in the last six months: Crave, Youtube Premium, Sportsnet)

This month I'll re-add Crave to catch up on HBO content, and probably drop Apple once For All Mankind ends. Add Sportsnet when when NBA and NHL fire up.

14-15 years ago when I last had cable I believe <?> it was around $70-80/month just for television. So we're not there yet, but I'm not getting the same content, for better or worse (especially with regard to sports, for the worse)
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 04:42 PM   #28
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it is actually interesting because Shaw keeps offering me cable TV for like $50/mth these days. They also seemed to have given up on "packages", so it's an all-in thing.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:06 PM   #29
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Ew, Big Brother.

PBS not being available in Canada is a real disappointment. Isn't it free in the USA?
I get PBS on Telus. Is there a different one in US?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:54 PM   #30
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I get PBS on Telus. Is there a different one in US?
As a streaming service.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:34 AM   #31
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the biggest negatives with the switch from physical media to streaming services is it has a direct impact on the kinds of movies that get made and which ones get sequels. Studios used to get a huge chunk of revenue from DVD/Blu Ray purchases which could help films with a mildly successful box office get a sequel. For example in 2009 Star Trek pulled in $380 mill from a $140 mill budget BUT also made another $192 mill from home video sales. Fast forward a decade and a film like Alita Battle Angel made $400 mill from a $170 mill budget but was only able to pull in $24 mill from home video sales. A single movie can't really make the kind of money from streaming services as it did from physical media.

Kevin Smith recently talked about how he was able to make a new Clerks movie because of how successful Jay and Silent Bob Reboot is on home video.

https://www.slashfilm.com/939303/cle...ays-comic-con/
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:54 AM   #32
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Matt Damon made a similar comment on Hot Ones.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1561480505882619904
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 11:00 AM   #33
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is fitting that I use Netflix primarily to watch One Piece.
Yoho it's a pirates life for me.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:20 PM   #34
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
One thing that usually doesn’t get mentioned about cord cutting is how much of a PITA it is when using half a dozen, or more, streaming services.

Cable is just objectively better for sports because I can flip from game to game and channel to channel so much easier than on a streaming service. I also worry way less about which service I’m signed into when I want to switch from hockey to football at intermission.
Streaming sports has live rewind/replay on many services. I couldn't imagine watching hockey games anymore where I can't rewind at will and then go back to live viewing when I want to.

You can also have both sports running side by side in different browsers or switch between tabs.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:41 PM   #35
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s is also way more content then ever existed with cable , and much more Quality content

I’m just not sure how people think shows get made . For free ? If you don’t want to pay a fee and don’t want commercials /adds and want to share with 3 households , how do you expect these companies to make money?

Netflix alone spent 20 billion on content last year

Seeing an advertisement between shows vs spending 5$ a month seems like a pretty fair tradeoff to me

Curious to hear other viewpoints

Last edited by Jason14h; 08-23-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 02:42 PM   #36
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Streaming sports has live rewind/replay on many services. I couldn't imagine watching hockey games anymore where I can't rewind at will and then go back to live viewing when I want to.

You can also have both sports running side by side in different browsers or switch between tabs.
You can pause and rewind live sports on cable too ! It was a new invention about 15 years ago
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 03:07 PM   #37
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
There’s is also way more content then ever existed with cable , and much more Quality content

I’m just not sure how people think shows get made . For free ? If you don’t want to pay a fee and don’t want commercials /adds and want to share with 3 households , how do you expect these companies to make money?

Netflix alone spent 20 billion on content last year

Seeing an advertisement between shows vs spending 5$ a month seems like a pretty fair tradeoff to me

Curious to hear other viewpoints
These services spend way more on content than they earn in subscriptions. We the consumers have had our entertainment massively subsidized by investors. If those investors lose faith that the streamers will be profitable in the long-term, capital will flee and we’ll see some combination of higher prices and dramatically reduced spending on new programming.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:23 PM   #38
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
You can pause and rewind live sports on cable too ! It was a new invention about 15 years ago
Yeah you need one of those dumb PVRs from the cable company that can only record a few things at a time for a limited time
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:32 PM   #39
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Yeah you need one of those dumb PVRs from the cable company that can only record a few things at a time for a limited time
And are $10-15 a month for each tv in the house.
nfotiu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:44 PM   #40
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Not to defend cable even further but there's almost zero bundles where you pay for TV boxes these days. They're all free rentals for the duration of the contract.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: