Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2021, 08:27 PM   #4461
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think the Flames pull off a trade for Eichel.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
That would be fantastic. I’m all in on that, frankly. I do think it’s harder now to get the dollars to balance out.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:28 PM   #4462
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
This will be the first full season with an accomplished NHL coach

That point is not in dispute, is it?
Maybe but I sure hope that's not what the "wizard" is thinking. One of the big three needs to be traded. My guess is Chucky, it's been way too silent. No takers for Monahan with his injury history, hopefully a new deal for Johnny.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:28 PM   #4463
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank goodness that the Flames traded away the losers who couldn't get it done back in the day - Mullen, Nieuwendyk, Roberts, MacDonald, Loob, Otto, Peplinski... Oh wait, they didn't.

Instead, they added to that core, and eventually won the cup.

I honestly don't see the point of HAVING to move Gaudreau, Tkachuk or Monahan - anyone left that is considered the core? Lindholm? Backlund? Who's keeping Calgary from winning the cup here?

Flames have done a lot of changes. I think of as today - and including having Darryl as the coach for a full season (plus the last 1/3rd season to get the process rolling) - that the Flames are better than they were last season. I also think that part of why the Flames have been under-performing is due to poor coaching.

There has been a lot of moves. I am willing to trade any of the core (or anyone else) in order to make the team better. I just don't think there is anyone in particular that NEEDS to be moved out. I don't think they are a contender yet, but they are a better team. If they can find a way to improve, I hope they do it, including moving absolutely anyone on the team. I just don't see it as having to 'break up the core'. You just need to keep adding to them, and if there is a good trade, then yeah, go ahead and trade one out.

I am not going to believe that this coming season is going to end up in bitter disappointment because the same players from the core are still here.

Edit: What I mean by a lot of moves is a lot of roster turnover - 3 important D in Giordano, Brodie and Hamilton which were all considered part of the core at one time or other, as well as lots of roster turnover over the years, bringing in players like Lindholm, Hanifin, Tanev and Markstrom. I don't think this is a contender yet, but I don't see it as a problem of "at least one from the core must go"! Why? How does that make sense? I just don't get it. How do you know at least one must go? Which one? Which one is stopping the Flames from winning a cup here? Which is the bad apple holding everything back?

Last edited by Calgary4LIfe; 07-28-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #4464
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s day one…
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:30 PM   #4465
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn’t hear him, what did he say?

That anytime you have an opportunity to improve your roster that you have to look at it?
No, it was a new piece of Jargon. "We will see if the trade market bears fruit."

He didn't sound like he was done. Reminded me of the pre Hamilton trade Treliving
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #4466
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:
Icon33

Quote:
This will be the first full season with an accomplished NHL coach

That point is not in dispute, is it?
Yep fair point. I suppose a full preseason with Sutter should instill some more of his tactics. It just seemed like a lot of the same issues were present late in the season last year with months of Sutter coaching, which leaves me somewhat skeptical that this core has what it takes. This is the best coach they have had,
I just wont be fooled by this core of players again.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #4467
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I don't quite understand how people can still have faith in this core of players. They have shown time and time again that they simply do not have what it takes to win?

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund. They have shown us consistently, over and over, that they are not capable of bringing their game to another level.
Gaudreau - NCAA Champion, WJC Gold Medal, USHL Champion (he was the best player on those teams)
Tkachuk - OHL Champion, Memorial Cup Champion
Backlund - Captain of Swedish World Championship team

These players are winners, they need help.

Gaudreau IS a big game player. All throughout his career, he has been. Gaudreau was great in his first playoffs, his end to end rush in Game 3 of the Anaheim series got the Flames rolling. He ended up scoring the game tying goal with a minute left, top corner. He's been shut down in recent years because teams have learned if you key on Gaudreau, you can shut the Flames down. He needs help.
If Connor McDavid can get shutdown in the playoffs, so can Gaudreau. Crosby never won without Malkin. Hell Lemieux never won without Jagr. Gretzky couldn't win without Messier. You can't rely on one guy in hockey, unless it is a superstar goalie.

Last edited by 868904; 07-28-2021 at 08:41 PM.
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 868904 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 08:37 PM   #4468
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Gaudreau - NCAA Champion, WJC Gold Medal, USHL Champion (he was the best player on those teams)

Eatbread - MVP of Canada World Championship team
Old 07-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #4469
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Most established NHL players come from very strong collegiate and junior programs. Their record in the NHL is remarkably pedestrian.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #4470
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
No, it was a new piece of Jargon. "We will see if the trade market bears fruit."

He didn't sound like he was done. Reminded me of the pre Hamilton trade Treliving
Most encouraging thing I have heard today.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:43 PM   #4471
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Eatbread - MVP of Canada World Championship team

Yes!

I am excited about seeing Mang next year

There are a couple of guys who seemed to step to another level after being selected to represent Canada and succeeding on the international stage

Iggy and Brad Marchand come to mind
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:45 PM   #4472
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't quite understand how people can still have faith in this core of players. They have shown time and time again that they simply do not have what it takes to win?

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund. They have shown us consistently, over and over, that they are not capable of bringing their game to another level.
You know it took Alex Ovechkin 6 years to win a playoff round, right?

I wouldn’t go so far as to say no changes are required, but I do think there is a pretty good chance this team can accomplish a lot more than what it had shown over the past two seasons.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:51 PM   #4473
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
That would be fantastic. I’m all in on that, frankly. I do think it’s harder now to get the dollars to balance out.
Depending upon raises I think monahan and dube gets you eichel.

But then you have to replace dube somehow.

I don’t think it’s happening at this point.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:52 PM   #4474
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
You know it took Alex Ovechkin 6 years to win a playoff round, right?

I wouldn’t go so far as to say no changes are required, but I do think there is a pretty good chance this team can accomplish a lot more than what it had shown over the past two seasons.
So going into Gaudreau's 9th season as a Flame, Monahan's 9th and Backlunds 13th they will now have figured it out? Nevermind the fact Ovechkins teams were actually consistently IN the playoffs.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:54 PM   #4475
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Depending upon raises I think monahan and dube gets you eichel.

But then you have to replace dube somehow.

I don’t think it’s happening at this point.
I am thinking Buffalo might want a bit more than Dube and Monahan.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:59 PM   #4476
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

Gaudreau IS a big game player. All throughout his career, he has been. Gaudreau was great in his first playoffs, his end to end rush in Game 3 of the Anaheim series got the Flames rolling. He ended up scoring the game tying goal with a minute left, top corner. He's been shut down in recent years because teams have learned if you key on Gaudreau, you can shut the Flames down. He needs help.
If Connor McDavid can get shutdown in the playoffs, so can Gaudreau. Crosby never won without Malkin. Hell Lemieux never won without Jagr. Gretzky couldn't win without Messier. You can't rely on one guy in hockey, unless it is a superstar goalie.
Fantastic moment. They lost that series in 5 games.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:03 PM   #4477
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So going into Gaudreau's 9th season as a Flame, Monahan's 9th and Backlunds 13th they will now have figured it out? Nevermind the fact Ovechkins teams were actually consistently IN the playoffs.
No two teams progression is the same, obviously.

You don’t think the guys you point to have it ‘figured out’, or they’re incapable of figuring it out, whatever ‘it’ is in your mind. How would you know? What, if anything, do you know? I think you don’t know what you don’t know.

Go ahead and put yourself in the GM’s shoes. Who has ‘it’ and how do you get them?

(Not interested in your answer)
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:07 PM   #4478
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mario’s first cup was really the Mario and Mark (Recchi) show. Jagr was an 18 rookie (a really good one).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:13 PM   #4479
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
No two teams progression is the same, obviously.

You don’t think the guys you point to have it ‘figured out’, or they’re incapable of figuring it out, whatever ‘it’ is in your mind. How would you know? What, if anything, do you know? I think you don’t know what you don’t know.

Go ahead and put yourself in the GM’s shoes. Who has ‘it’ and how do you get them?

(Not interested in your answer)
Don't like when people disagree with you? I figured we were just having a discussion. My bad.

Either way I will answer your question: I know what I have seen in terms of results on the ice, a team that continually places in the bottom half of the leagues standings, or when they actually get into the playoffs, often look like a team that gets outworked, and it's the guys getting the majority of the minutes that are the ones getting consistently outworked.

If no two teams progressions are the same then why even mention Ovechkin's team as a reference point ? You brought that up!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 09:28 PM   #4480
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fantastic moment. They lost that series in 5 games.
A powerhouse Ducks team and young Flames team. Treliving hasn't done enough to support Gaudreau.

Maybe not all his fault, Sam Bennett was suppose to be a core piece but never developed, maybe Flames are at fault here for rushing him in and also for hiring crap coaches.

All I'm saying, we have guys who have won and have "elevated their games" before. The mix isn't right, that doesn't mean they all suck and can't raise their games.

I think Gaudreau is a keeper. Maybe Monahan isn't but I think it's a bad time to sell him when his value is low. I'm not 100% sure yet on Tkachuk, he played well in the OHL playoffs and Memorial Cup, but hasn't put up the points in the NHL playoffs; however, he has been in impactful player though even without the points.

Backlund has scored a few OT goals in playoffs and championships through various leagues, those are examples of raising his game.

I'm on the Eichel train and I'm ok with Tkachuk, Monahan, Mangiapane being moved in exchange. I'd like to keep Gaudreau cause I think he's an elite player and has another step he can take and Lindholm cause his contract is really good value.