Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #4441
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm at the point that this isn't even a gm issue. Clearly the mandate from management isn't to actually build a cup contender, it is to ensure a minimum of 2 home playoff games. That's it, that is the bar for success.

I think treliving's made his mistakes early on, got himself into some pickles, however, at this stage I am not even sure how much autonomy he even has. I almost feel bad for him, as he's going to have a pretty lousy resume after how this all turns out, assuming he doesn't have a game breaking trade upcoming to change the team's trajectory.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:34 PM   #4442
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It’s obvious Treliving is betting his hockey life on the same core

Or he is unable to make deals to upgrade it

I kinda feel sorry for him . Imagine betting your career on Johnny/Monahan for the 4th time.

Last edited by Flamesfan05; 07-28-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:41 PM   #4443
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Like I said back then, losing Giordano is fine. But he has to find a replacement. That and fill the massive gaping hole for offense (preferably an RW).
How many players are out there and available that can actually fill a massive gaping hole on offence? Ovi chose the Capitals so he’s out… hmmmm. How many are realistic targets that would want to play for the Flames?
It’s almost as if he would have to cut off his left foot to improve the right.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:44 PM   #4444
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post

I kinda feel sorry for him . Imagine betting your career on Johnny/Monahan for the 4th times?
If there is one thing that is driving me nuts about this board are the ridiculous claims that the offseason is over after every milestone of the summer. I read similar stuff when there wasn’t a blockbuster at the draft.

Save this post for the eve of training camp.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #4445
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If there is one thing that is driving me nuts about this board are the ridiculous claims that the offseason is over after every milestone of the summer. I read similar stuff when there wasn’t a blockbuster at the draft.

Save this post for the eve of training camp.
So you think it will change by training camp?

Historically, most actions are around The Draft, FA signing and TDL
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:20 PM   #4446
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
So you think it will change by training camp?

Historically, most actions are around The Draft, FA signing and TDL
I can't speak for Vinny, but I for one expect more changes.

And by your claims regarding what happens historically, I assume, then, that you are convinced that Jack Eichel will remain with Buffalo this year. I mean, we have now watched the Draft and Day 1 of UFA pass without him being moved, right?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:34 PM   #4447
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meaningful changes between now and training camp? Like what?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:45 PM   #4448
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other teams taking steps. Flames largely standing pat. Looks like a ####ty team is satisfied to largely remain ####ty.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:46 PM   #4449
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

There has to be a deal involving one of the "big" three on the team. After a few seasons where we realize this combo doesn't work, on the team or against this division, it's apparent to a high percentage of fans. The geniuses who run the hockey team can't be that daft, all jokes aside. I would be shocked if Monahan isn't the odd man out here. He's slow, doesn't create his own opportunities, but he does have a good shot. It's an outdated skillset for the modern NHL, but it will work somewhere and it's probably worth a decent return. I think you start by dealing him for a combination of prospect + pick, and go all in with next years draft. But it really has to start now while there is cap space on other teams. I think something like this happens in the next 10 days max. Else the Flames are screwed. Can't build through overpaying in free agency, especially for non-core guys which they've been doing today.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:48 PM   #4450
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Other teams taking steps. Flames largely standing pat. Looks like a ####ty team is satisfied to largely remain ####ty.
It's day 1. A lot of big things tend to happen on day 2. Even then, I'll wait and see what the training camp roster looks like before going to the attic to sharpen my pitchfork.

So far the Flames have done a decent job at filling some key holes. Plenty of work yet still to do and a while lot of time to do it.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:49 PM   #4451
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
There's really no other way out of this mess. They either trade for Eichel or rebuild, and I'm thinking the organization is just too asset poor to field a contender even after that trade. If they do, it will be a short lived window.

In reality, he's competing with many other teams for the same players. It's unlikely we make a blockbuster trade like that on the best of days.

Instead, the only alternative for a GM on his last life is to tread water and fill holes with paper mache instead of cement.

To be fair, if you’re using a boat analogy cement isn’t that great either....
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #4452
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Surely there are better things you could be doing with your time. Gardening? Become a pit master? Read more books? Watch other sport teams?
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #4453
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I kinda feel sorry for him . Imagine betting your career on Johnny/Monahan for the 4th time.

My best case is that the core isn’t as bad as they’ve looked lately and that with a Sutteresque supporting cast and style, improvements from the younger players, and a full year of good Markstrom they can be competitive. If they make the playoffs I think Sutter alone is worth a win or two more than recent coaches.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:56 PM   #4454
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There haven’t been a lot of big moves by other teams IMO. NJD with the big signing of Hamilton, but no other great moves by anyone IMO. The Bean and Buchnevich moves were nice, but I didn’t like a whole lot of other moves.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:12 PM   #4455
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Meaningful changes between now and training camp? Like what?
I think the Flames pull off a trade for Eichel.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:16 PM   #4456
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
My best case is that the core isn’t as bad as they’ve looked lately and that with a Sutteresque supporting cast and style, improvements from the younger players, and a full year of good Markstrom they can be competitive. If they make the playoffs I think Sutter alone is worth a win or two more than recent coaches.
I don't quite understand how people can still have faith in this core of players. They have shown time and time again that they simply do not have what it takes to win?

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund. They have shown us consistently, over and over, that they are not capable of bringing their game to another level.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 08:22 PM   #4457
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I don't quite understand how people can still have faith in this core of players. They have shown time and time again that they simply do not have what it takes to win?

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund. They have shown us consistently, over and over, that they are not capable of bringing their game to another level.
But but.. they might turn it around with Sutter.

If that doesn't work, maybe they will turn it around without so much of a tyrant coach when Sutter gets fired or leaves.

The excuses for this rotten core never end.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:23 PM   #4458
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post

This will be the first full season with an accomplished NHL coach

That point is not in dispute, is it?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:26 PM   #4459
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look, we don't even know or can guarantee who in core will be here when camp opens up. I still think one of the 2 big LWs are on the move.

Gios gone and there's more still to come. Tree doesn't tip his hat often but he definitely didn't sound today like a man who was done working this roster.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:27 PM   #4460
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Look, we don't even know or can guarantee who in core will be here when camp opens up. I still think one of the 2 big LWs are on the move.

Gios gone and there's more still to come. Tree doesn't tip his hat often but he definitely didn't sound today like a man who was done working this roster.

I didn’t hear him, what did he say?

That anytime you have an opportunity to improve your roster that you have to look at it?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote