Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who's first? Ovechkin to score his 800th goal or any other player to score 600?
Alexander Ovechkin — 34 yrs, 159 days 213 83.53%
Patrick Marleau — 40 yrs, 161 days 4 1.57%
Sidney Crosby — 32 yrs, 200 days 10 3.92%
Steven Stamkos — 30 yrs, 15 days 1 0.39%
John Tavares — 29 yrs, 156 days 1 0.39%
Nikita Kusherov — 26 yrs, 251 days 1 0.39%
David Pasternak — 23 yrs, 335 days 1 0.39%
Connor McDavid — 23 yrs, 41 days 13 5.10%
Leon Draisaitl — 24 yrs, 119 days 2 0.78%
Auston Matthews — 22 yrs, 159 days 9 3.53%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2021, 10:22 AM   #61
Iginla
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Because he’s Russian, and because Sportsnet has a really weird thing for McDavid. Like, very, very weird.
I think we're at that awkward time where a couple kids who grew up watching the Oilers in the 80's are now in charge of Sportsnet. Sure feels that way.
Iginla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #62
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
It is absolutely criminal that this man had 2 lockouts and COVID to contend with in seeking the goal scoring record. Greatest goal scorer of all time. He has scored numerous goals that will never be forgotten.

His one timer isn't really a skill that will dissipate, and that alone should see him in the league as a PP player for as long as he wants.
This is word for word what I came to say. He wants to be the greatest scorer or all time. He will be.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #63
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/lea...ed_career.html

He's lapping the field in adjusted goals. Though Pacioretty is hot on his tail...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:21 AM   #64
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

He's lapping the field in adjusted goals. Though Pacioretty is hot on his tail...
WTF, Crosby has 486 actual goals and played the same time frame as Pacioretty who only has 306 goals.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 11:27 AM   #65
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
WTF, Crosby has 486 actual goals and played the same time frame as Pacioretty who only has 306 goals.
Yeah that seems like malarky. Compare iginla's adjusted totals to Pacioretty's as well- even though Iginla played through the worst eras of scoring by far. It's as if they're counting goals from the last 3 seasons at a hyper premium.

To elaborate on the Crosby comparison, if you eliminate the first three years of Crosby's career (a detriment to him) and match their seasons 1-1, Pacioretty only has 306 goals in 812 games to Crosby's 387 goals in 826 games. Obviously playoffs is terribly one sided too.
List is bad.

Last edited by Monahammer; 10-14-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #66
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
It is absolutely criminal that this man had 2 lockouts and COVID to contend with in seeking the goal scoring record. Greatest goal scorer of all time. He has scored numerous goals that will never be forgotten.

His one timer isn't really a skill that will dissipate, and that alone should see him in the league as a PP player for as long as he wants.
This is huge, he has probably missed at least 2 full seasons worth of goals, which one could argue is like 75-100 goals already he should have gotten. Without those lockouts/covid there is no question he would pass Wayne. With those events it will be close.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:31 AM   #67
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't understand how Pacioretty gets adjusted so hard, wtf indeed
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:49 AM   #68
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ovechkin is an absolute legend. My favourite player of all time now (just barely eclipsing Iginla.)
Old 10-14-2021, 12:48 PM   #69
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As much as I like trophies being named after historical players, I would love if they renamed the goal scoring trophy each season to the Ovechkin Trophy. Greatest goal scorer ever.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #70
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

Somethings fishy with the way that’s being calculated.

Max Paccioretty? Lol.

And Ovechkin wouldn’t nearly double his goal scoring because of era adjustment.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:00 PM   #71
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Adjusted Goals
We will use Gordie Howe's 1952-53 season as an example, a season in which Howe scored a career-high 49 goals.

The first step in this process is to calculate a schedule adjustment for each player. In order to do this, divide 82 by the number of scheduled games per team. In 1952-53 the NHL played a 70-game schedule, so the schedule adjustment is 82 / 70 = 1.17.

The roster size adjustment is computed by dividing the maximum roster size for the season in question by 18. Teams were allowed to carry a maximum of 16 skaters at home and 15 skaters on the road during the 1952-53 season, so the roster size adjustment is 15.5 / 18 = 0.86.

Next calculate the era adjustment, which we will do by dividing 6 by the league average goals per game without the player in question. In 1952-53 a total of 1006 goals were scored in 210 games. Without Howe this works out to (1006 - 49) / 210 = 4.56 goals per game, so our era adjustment is 6 / 4.56 = 1.32.

Finally, we put everything together. Take the player's actual goals and multiply by the adjustments we computed above. For Howe in 1952-53 this is 49 * 1.17 * 0.86 * 1.32 = 65 adjusted goals.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/abo...ted_stats.html
Here's how they calculate it.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:04 PM   #72
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Here's a direct comparison of Patches vs Crosby: https://stathead.com/hockey/pcomp_fi...um=0&request=1
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:25 PM   #73
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol wait, does that mean they're calculating in Max's great first game of this season with 2 g and 1 assist and adjusting it to add? Because that explains the enormous bump. Same with Ovechkin.

Otherwise, there is no way to make Crosby have less adjusted goals in the same seasons as all of those multipliers are to adjust the league parameters to level the field, and would have the same impacts on both Crosby and Pacioretty over the course of those seasons.

Edit: I've decided this must be it: ovechkin and Pacioretty both show '22 as included seasons. + players like Cirelli (50 g in career) and Kubalik (48g in career) are on the list with ~300 adjusted goals. Both scored in the first game of this season.

Last edited by Monahammer; 10-14-2021 at 02:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 02:29 PM   #74
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

TIL Patches is better than Crosby.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #75
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

They need to set the list to only calculate full seasons. Right now it is drawing from the limited games in the 22 season already played and ridiculously pumping up totals.

List is useless as is!
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #76
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
As much as I like trophies being named after historical players, I would love if they renamed the goal scoring trophy each season to the Ovechkin Trophy. Greatest goal scorer ever.
Bossy was a greater Goal scorer, IMO.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #77
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Here's the list from earlier this summer, without the 2022 games screwing everything up.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210818...ed_career.html
RatherDashing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RatherDashing For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 09:14 PM   #78
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Bossy was a greater Goal scorer, IMO.
Put ovechkin in the 80s and he gets 100 goals in a season. Not to take away from bossy but ovechkin is better in my eyes. Those tiny, stand up goalies would get obliterated by him

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #79
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
Put ovechkin in the 80s and he gets 100 goals in a season. Not to take away from bossy but ovechkin is better in my eyes. Those tiny, stand up goalies would get obliterated by him

It is not a fair comparison, though. Put Ovechkin in the 80s, but with the same development and training as was common for players of that era, and he is definitely not anywhere near as good as he is today. Likewise, if Mike Bossy had been given the advantages of technology and training that helped to make Ovechkin what he is, who knows how good he could be?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:31 PM   #80
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It is not a fair comparison, though. Put Ovechkin in the 80s, but with the same development and training as was common for players of that era, and he is definitely not anywhere near as good as he is today. Likewise, if Mike Bossy had been given the advantages of technology and training that helped to make Ovechkin what he is, who knows how good he could be?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Totally fair, I agree. That's why comparing guys across eras is a futile exercise

TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post: