Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the James Neal signing?
Love It 411 46.55%
Love the add, worried about the term 328 37.15%
Neutral 30 3.40%
Wait and see 71 8.04%
Hate it 43 4.87%
Voters: 883. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #881
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

To those that think the Neal contract may prevent us from signing Tkachuk: Do you honestly think a competent GM such as Treliving would have just forgotten to factor that in? His assistant GM? It is such a laughable idea - "Great just signed Neal... Oh ####, totally forgot about our big ticket upcoming RFA, gosh sure hope we have the money to sign him."
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #882
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

not sure if it has been covered in this thread or not yet, but it looks to me like he is struggling with his new stick since they stopped producing his old one and he ran out of them.
It just seems like often he flubs a shot, or it comes off his stick really weakly and he's just doesn't have a good feel for the puck.

I think he has looked much better the last several games and seems to be developing some chemistry with Ryan (Mangiapane too)

Has anyone else noticed this?
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #883
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
To those that think the Neal contract may prevent us from signing Tkachuk: Do you honestly think a competent GM such as Treliving would have just forgotten to factor that in? His assistant GM? It is such a laughable idea - "Great just signed Neal... Oh ####, totally forgot about our big ticket upcoming RFA, gosh sure hope we have the money to sign him."
"Hey Tre, did you know your 36 year old starter also doesn't have a contract?"
"Ah crap!"

*checking for Neal receipts*
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #884
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
"Hey Tre, did you know your 36 year old starter also doesn't have a contract?"
"Ah crap!"

*checking for Neal receipts*
Treliving after signing Neal.

TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #885
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people need to calm their tits.

Remember a large part of C.P. was crucifying Hamonic last year and the trade was complete crap? Seems if you have a little patience and let the situation play out you get a better understanding of the situation.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #886
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I blame Mr. Hair for Hamonic's struggles last year.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #887
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's extremely frustrating that Neal isn't living up to expectations so far. It feels like we are headed down the same long crappy road we went down with Brouwer. I expected these struggles might happen during the last couple years of the contract, but certainly not right off the bat.

Good news is that it's still very early and he could easily turn it around.

Even better news is that despite his struggles the Flames are still doing great overall, and if he does kick it in that just provides even more depth scoring to an already strong offensive team.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #888
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't jumping to conclusions part of being a fan? Of course we need to give Neal time to play his way out of this (there's nothing else to do), but if you go over to the Carolina trade thread you have fans declaring victory on that front already.

Lindholm can cool off, Neal can heat up. A whole lot can happen still.

All in all, Flames are in first place. That's pretty cool.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #889
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not too worried about Neal just yet, his lines are generating chances and seem to do well at cycling the puck. It is not a complete blackhole of offensive chances at least and they just need a a bounce or two to go their way to get the monkeys off their backs.

I would like to see a little more jam out of Neal but I think he is still testing the waters.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #890
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post

Remember a large part of C.P. was crucifying Hamonic last year and the trade was complete crap? Seems if you have a little patience and let the situation play out you get a better understanding of the situation.
I think people were crucifying Hamonic because most people thought the Flames' were supposed to be better then they were, and when that didn't pan out they needed a scapegoat. Best to go after the guy we traded a 1st rounder for.

This season we can afford to be patient. The Flames have one of the top offences and rankings in the entire league so far. If a player like Neal is snake bitten, it's alright. The rest of the team is picking up the slack.

I'm not worried about him. If the Flames weren't scoring I would be, but luckily that's not the case. So we can all step back and relax for a bit while he finds his game.

When he does, it will be like adding a top 6 player. Good times will roll
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #891
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
not sure if it has been covered in this thread or not yet, but it looks to me like he is struggling with his new stick since they stopped producing his old one and he ran out of them.
It just seems like often he flubs a shot, or it comes off his stick really weakly and he's just doesn't have a good feel for the puck.
Really? You think changing his stick makes a guy go from a consistent, front-line NHL scorer to a quasi-borderline ECHL level talent? If his skill set was that tenuous I suspect he would have played about 730 fewer games than he has in the NHL.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #892
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, Hamonic does. He said so.
Do you honestly think Hamonic is going to trash GG or the system or how he was used?

Hamonic is pure class...there might be some settling in but some players never settled in for 2 years,

More was going on last year than settling in.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #893
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post

Not every player initially excels when traded to a new city and team. It can take time to fit in and click with line mates. Hamonic in his 2nd season in Calgary looks markedly better than he did last season and I expect it's going to take some time for Neal but he will get on track. I still don't believe he's going to explode playing in a 3rd line role but he can produce more than he has to date.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #894
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm.

Last edited by Karl; 12-06-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #895
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Lucic does allot more than score. Neal not so much.
Of the two I’d take Lucic’s 5 points and intimidating physical play over Neal looking lost and making pretty much every line mate worse right now.
You've lost your mind.

Lucic flat out sucks and it's not just because he plays for the Oilers. He is not a fit for any NHL team anymore. Can't pass, can't stick handle, can't shoot and, most of all, can't skate. The game has passed him by.

Lucic is an NHL player because of contract only, and it really is only because of that ridiculously bad contract. If it weren't for that silly contract, he wouldn't be in the NHL. Skill wise he's not close to being NHL calibre anymore.

And no, Lucic is not salvageable. His skills are too far gone. No one can save him. Not the Oilers, not any other NHL team, no one.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #896
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both extreme sides of this argument are completely wrong IMO. Neil is not producing, and in most nights, isn't looking like he is fitting in at all. That's unquestionably concerning.

However, it is also still early and there are reasonable excuses to be had as to why he hasn't been. On top of this, he has historically been a fairly streaky player.

Am I ecstatic that the Flames signed him to this contract? Can't say that I am. Do I know for sure that this will be a bad contract? I definitely can't say that either.

Disappointing start to his tenure as a Flame, but taking a wait and see approach and hoping things start clicking. I don't see a logical rationale one way or the other to which I can firmly plant myself at the moment, and there are plenty of reasons for why his current rate of production can increase. I think the thread is premature, but hardly without merit either. It is just a tad early to be so definitive, IMO.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #897
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Both extreme sides of this argument are completely wrong IMO. Neil is not producing, and in most nights, isn't looking like he is fitting in at all. That's unquestionably concerning.

However, it is also still early and there are reasonable excuses to be had as to why he hasn't been. On top of this, he has historically been a fairly streaky player.

Am I ecstatic that the Flames signed him to this contract? Can't say that I am. Do I know for sure that this will be a bad contract? I definitely can't say that either.

Disappointing start to his tenure as a Flame, but taking a wait and see approach and hoping things start clicking. I don't see a logical rationale one way or the other to which I can firmly plant myself at the moment, and there are plenty of reasons for why his current rate of production can increase. I think the thread is premature, but hardly without merit either. It is just a tad early to be so definitive, IMO.
The Neil you've referenced is retired now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #898
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
The Neil you've referenced is retired now.
Crap. I need more sleep. It is a pet peeve of mine, and now I am doing it. Shoot me please.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #899
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Really? You think changing his stick makes a guy go from a consistent, front-line NHL scorer to a quasi-borderline ECHL level talent? If his skill set was that tenuous I suspect he would have played about 730 fewer games than he has in the NHL.
No, I never said that. I don't think the stick change makes him a "quasi-borderline ECHL level talent" you said that, not me.

I said that I felt like he was struggling shooting the puck, I feel like he has played well otherwise and is developing chemistry with his linemates.
I dont think its insane to suggest that a guy that has been using the same stick for years and years would struggle out the gates with a new one.

Maybe read the entire post rather than trying to cherrypick something out that I didn't say.

for example of how a change in stick can effect a player:
https://russianmachineneverbreaks.co...-a-decade-ago/
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #900
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Crap. I need more sleep. It is a pet peeve of mine, and now I am doing it. Shoot me please.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post: