Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the James Neal signing?
Love It 411 46.55%
Love the add, worried about the term 328 37.15%
Neutral 30 3.40%
Wait and see 71 8.04%
Hate it 43 4.87%
Voters: 883. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #481
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I think the first 3 you mention have two more years left so they will have to be moved latest next offseason to make room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Brouwer, Stone and Frolik all have 2 years left.
Yes, I know. But there will be plenty of options with only one year remaining in their contracts.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #482
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
if you need further confirmation than lavoie:

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
James Neal’s contract with Calgary does not include a no-move or no-trade clause. #Flames
This is a huge deal for this contract IMO. With Seattle likely joining the league in two years, he could be a good player to leave unprotected. Especially if he scores 25+ goals each of the next 2 seasons, he'd be real tempting for the Seattle GM to try to recreate some Vegas magic, and we'd get out of a contract that could be ugly in the last year or 2.

That said, even if there were no expansion I like the deal. The #1 thing worrying me about the Hamilton trade was shipping out two of the best shots on a team that already lacks shooting talent, and adding Neal goes a long way to remedying that. A player who has a skillset you're lacking elsewhere in your lineup is even more valuable than they would be in a vacuum.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #483
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzoo02 View Post
You're comparing one of the best pure snipers in today's game to Troy frickin' Brouwer?

Apples to Oranges.
Who is comparing Brouwer to Neal? I’m certainly not.

I’m comparing theme reaction of this forum of the Brouwer signing to the Neal signing. It’s exactly the same. Food for thought! Go back and look if you don’t believe me.
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:13 PM   #484
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

In order for the reaction to be comparable, wouldn't that imply the players need be as well? It's been explained already, though, that they're quite different. So a similar reaction isn't all that provocative.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #485
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
Who is comparing Brouwer to Neal? I’m certainly not.

I’m comparing theme reaction of this forum of the Brouwer signing to the Neal signing. It’s exactly the same. Food for thought! Go back and look if you don’t believe me.
Yes you are comparing Brouwer to Neal.

You are bringing up the positive reaction to the Brouwer signing and comparing it to the positive reaction to the Neal signing to insinuate that we shouldn't be happy about this signing because Brouwer's time in Calgary has been a disaster.

Just because Brouwer has sucked in Calgary doesn't mean Neal will, and that is what you are driving at, is it not?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #486
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
Staples pisses on the Flames signing of Neal and 12 other UFA deals. Must hurt when his beloved Oilers did NOTHING!

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...hl-free-agency
Yeah I mean it could have been a worse signing. Maybe a 7 yr 42m
Old 07-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #487
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Staples pisses on the Flames signing of Neal and 12 other UFA deals. Must hurt when his beloved Oilers did NOTHING!

What an F’N moron.

McDavid $115,740.74 per point
(Based on repeating 108 point season)
Neal $112,745.09 per point
(Based on repeating 51 point pace season)
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #488
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

So much happier with Neal than Maroon it is not even close
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 07:44 PM   #489
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

It upsets me that someone was paid to put this together. I could name 25 CP posters who could have put together a better write up in 20 minutes.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 07:44 PM   #490
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
This is a huge deal for this contract IMO. With Seattle likely joining the league in two years, he could be a good player to leave unprotected. Especially if he scores 25+ goals each of the next 2 seasons, he'd be real tempting for the Seattle GM to try to recreate some Vegas magic, and we'd get out of a contract that could be ugly in the last year or 2.

That said, even if there were no expansion I like the deal. The #1 thing worrying me about the Hamilton trade was shipping out two of the best shots on a team that already lacks shooting talent, and adding Neal goes a long way to remedying that. A player who has a skillset you're lacking elsewhere in your lineup is even more valuable than they would be in a vacuum.
Maybe that's why Giordano said that he is working on his shot this offseason.
He does his usual preparations anyway but picks one aspect of his game to focus on each season. It would help the team a lot if he could improve in that area.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #491
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lol, this guy is such an unprofessional hack. He's clearly just mad that the Oilers didn't make any big moves and will continue to be the same dumpster fire they've always been.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:52 PM   #492
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Nitro View Post
Nashville was going for the Cup, no doubt in my mind that had Neal been more productive for them in his final year there, they would have protected him.
And considering that they didn't make it back to the final this year, one has to wonder if they don't regret their decision.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #493
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the contract on capfriendly, there doesn't seem to e a 2020-21 signing bonus. Between that and no NTC/NMC it seems the Flames held some negotiation leverage. Seems Neal really does want to be here, not just lip-service from someone taking thw jighest bidder.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #494
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
Maybe that's why Giordano said that he is working on his shot this offseason.
He does his usual preparations anyway but picks one aspect of his game to focus on each season. It would help the team a lot if he could improve in that area.
Gio's shot is already quite good, so if he can improve it even more that would be a huge add. I'd bet on him having an uptick in goals this year regardless since he'll be the primary shooter on his pair, whereas Hamilton did the lion's share of the shooting over the last two seasons. For all the hype over Hamilton's 17 goals, Gio still had 13 last year and 21 last time he played with Brodie.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #495
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Looking at the contract on capfriendly, there doesn't seem to e a 2020-21 signing bonus. Between that and no NTC/NMC it seems the Flames held some negotiation leverage. Seems Neal really does want to be here, not just lip-service from someone taking thw jighest bidder.
Those details haven't been released yet. Hoping it's a straight salary deal but who knows. Probably better if it's a bit front loaded too, we'll see.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #496
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't believe the upgrades that have been made, our RW is so deep now

Lindholm bumps Ferland off the team. Neal bumps Lindholm to the second line, Lindholm bumps Frolik to the third line, Frolik bumps Hathaway to the fourth line and Czarnik bumps Hathaway off the team.

Yes it was at the cost of potentially downgrading Hamilton into Hanifin, but if the Brodano pair plays like it did a few years ago and Hanifin, who is *4 YEARS YOUNGER THAN DOUGIE* continues to improve, its beyond worth it

I'm so damn excited

Last edited by doctajones428; 07-02-2018 at 10:40 PM.
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to doctajones428 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #497
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yes you are comparing Brouwer to Neal.

You are bringing up the positive reaction to the Brouwer signing and comparing it to the positive reaction to the Neal signing to insinuate that we shouldn't be happy about this signing because Brouwer's time in Calgary has been a disaster.

Just because Brouwer has sucked in Calgary doesn't mean Neal will, and that is what you are driving at, is it not?
You’re way off base and you know it.

At no stage have I compared the players.

If anything it’s a comment on the penchant for folks on this forum to get overly excited about “breaking news”. Go back and look at the Hamilton thread, the Jokinen thread, the Tanguay thread or any other high profile free agent signing/trade. Every one is the ‘last piece of the puzzle’ and we’re now a contender.

This, like most signings/trades, will not move the needle as much as organic growth from existing player Bennett, Janko and the farm kids. But that’s not exciting.
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:02 PM   #498
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This, like most signings/trades, will not move the needle as much as organic growth from existing player Bennett, Janko and the farm kids. But that’s not exciting.
Keep in mind, Janko and Bennett get to play with at minimum, Ryan, Czarnik, Frolik, or Eatbread next year, if not Neal or Lindholm. People seriously underestimate the importance of teammate quality when evaluating individuals. A William Karlsson on CBJ is not necessarily a different player from a William Karlsson on VGK. I anticipate great seasons from those two barring the same barrage of injuries we had to Versteeg/Jagr.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #499
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You’re way off base and you know it.

At no stage have I compared the players.

If anything it’s a comment on the penchant for folks on this forum to get overly excited about “breaking news”. Go back and look at the Hamilton thread, the Jokinen thread, the Tanguay thread or any other high profile free agent signing/trade. Every one is the ‘last piece of the puzzle’ and we’re now a contender.

The two scenarios are not mutually exclusive.

I don’t believe there is one person on this forum that doesn’t acquiesce that a big part of the team’s improvement will fall squarely on the development and amelioration of Bennett and Jankowski.

A new coaching staff and more talented teammates,as a result of a very good trade and above average UFA signees, should aid their growth as well as the team considerably.

That’s exciting.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #500
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Chicago signs Cam Ward to a 1 year deal after they are caught with their pants down for backups last season and Staples craps on them..... ya what a risky signing you tool.

Edit: the comments section at the very bottom is Gold.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 07-02-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote