Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #1521
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think there is any way they trade Brodie at this point, unless it is an absolute fleecing that they can't say no to. If you take Brodie out of the lineup, suddenly the D looks like:

Giordano - Hamonic
Hanifin - Stone
Kulak - Andersson

Acquiring a depth defenesman is not going to fix that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 10:37 AM   #1522
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

One things for sure, Brad absolutely loves "depth" by acquiring established, often older veterans over promoting from within.

I sure hope its not true as both Andersson and Valimaki should be given ample opportunity this season.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #1523
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
One things for sure, Brad absolutely loves "depth" by acquiring established, often older veterans over promoting from within.

I sure hope its not true as both Andersson and Valimaki should be given ample opportunity this season.
Valimaki needs a season in the AHL first. Andersson will be given a chance otherwise I would be shocked.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #1524
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Valimaki needs a season in the AHL...
Or does he?
Old 06-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #1525
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post
Or does he?
Maybe he forces Treliving's hand.. I like the idea of injecting young players.

I just don't think your bottom 3 players should be Kulak, Andersson, Valimaki (1 sophmoreish and 2 rookies).

Unless you go..

Andersson-Giordano
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Stone
Kulak
Old 06-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #1526
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Valimaki needs a season in the AHL first. Andersson will be given a chance otherwise I would be shocked.
I've watched Valimaki extensively this past season, he's absolutely ready for the NHL by all accounts. I don't see any reason he needs to be forced into the AHL outside of the Flames not having room. Signing an older veteran "depth" guy makes no sense when those minutes could be given to him as a 5th or 6th dman this season.

His frame, his size, his ability to generate offense, his gap closing awareness is miles ahead of most kids at his age and I firmly believe that's part of why the Flames drafted him.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 10:52 AM   #1527
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

And they spend that vast majority of the time sitting in the press box as the 7D. (Last season Bartowski got 18 games).

Right now the Flames are:

Giordano-Brodie
Hanafin-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone
Anderson

The issue is not that the Flames are looking for a depth guy to man the seventh spot (of course they are). It is more: Can they move Stone if Anderson beats him for a spot?

Anderson could beat out Stone to start the season. Valimaki could beat out Kulak. Regardless both with get play time when injuries happen (if they are ready).
Old 06-29-2018, 10:57 AM   #1528
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Valimaki’s contract will slide this year if he plays in the Ahl. Meaning the flames will still have him for 3 years on his entry level deal starting in the 2019-20120 season. When you factor in that if they don’t play him in the NHL this year then he won’t be eligible for the Seattle expansion draft, I find it very hard to believe that he’ll be playing anywhere but the A this season.

Last edited by 3rd Degree; 06-29-2018 at 10:59 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3rd Degree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #1529
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
Valimaki’s contract will slide this year if he plays in the Ahl. Meaning the flames will still have him for 3 years on his entry level deal starting in the 2019-20120 season. When you factor in that if they don’t play him in the NHL this year then he won’t be eligible for the Seattle expansion draft, I find it very hard to believe that he’ll be playing anywhere but the A this year.
The Seattle thing has no impact.

You need 3 years of pro experience before being protected, and with Seattle slated to start in 2020/2021, the max number of pro years Valimaki will have is 2.

The big thing regarding his contract slide is Giordano's deal. He currently has 4 years remaining, so if Valimaki's deal sides this year (18/19), then Giordano's deal will expire at the same time as Valimaki's ELC.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #1530
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Holding a capable player out of the league to take advantage of a contract like that just isn’t acceptable. I believe the Flames organization would agree.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #1531
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Andersson will be given ample opportunity this year. Valimaki probably won't, as he needs AHL time.

Kulak (24)
Hanifin (21)
Andersson (21)

and you want Valimaki (19) in the lineup as well? There is no way all 4 of those guys are going to be in the lineup this year, and nor should they.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:08 AM   #1532
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
The Seattle thing has no impact.

You need 3 years of pro experience before being protected, and with Seattle slated to start in 2020/2021, the max number of pro years Valimaki will have is 2.

The big thing regarding his contract slide is Giordano's deal. He currently has 4 years remaining, so if Valimaki's deal sides this year (18/19), then Giordano's deal will expire at the same time as Valimaki's ELC.
If a player has played two years in the nhl, they are eligible for the expansion draft.* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits). https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansi...es/c-281010592
Old 06-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #1533
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This narrative simply doesn't hold water.

With currently signed players, Gaudreau is the 4th oldest forward on the roster. Read that again slowly.

Guys who saw some playing time last year:
Jankowski, Mangiapane, Lazar, Foo, Hathaway, Andersson, Shore, Lomberg, Hrivik and Klimchuk.

(along with the other young guys: Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Kulak and Bennett)
Old 06-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #1534
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
This narrative simply doesn't hold water.

With currently signed players, Gaudreau is the 4th oldest forward on the roster. Read that again slowly.

Guys who saw some playing time last year:
Jankowski, Mangiapane, Lazar, Foo, Hathaway, Andersson, Shore, Lomberg, Hrivik and Klimchuk.

(along with the other young guys: Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Kulak and Bennett)

That is correct but a lot of those players played when the experiments of bringing in veteran players failed. A lot of those experiments were called failures way prior to Treliving realizing it.

The young guys only came in because the veterans he bring in usually #### the bed. Although, I am in the boat to get Rieder and Ryan, I do see the concern.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:17 AM   #1535
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Holding a capable player out of the league to take advantage of a contract like that just isn’t acceptable. I believe the Flames organization would agree.
The Flames are in the business of maximizing their assets and managing the cap. Why would they bring Valimaki up, burn a year of his elc, and then have to protect him in the next expansion draft when they could let him gain valuable experience in the AHL with no ill affects to the team or player? Valimaki’s 1st year in the NHL would likely be more impactful after a year in the A. What you’re suggesting reeks of Oiler asset management.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #1536
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I've watched Valimaki extensively this past season, he's absolutely ready for the NHL by all accounts. I don't see any reason he needs to be forced into the AHL outside of the Flames not having room. Signing an older veteran "depth" guy makes no sense when those minutes could be given to him as a 5th or 6th dman this season.

His frame, his size, his ability to generate offense, his gap closing awareness is miles ahead of most kids at his age and I firmly believe that's part of why the Flames drafted him.
Miles ahead of kids his own age =/= NHL ready. Just curious who is saying he is “absolutely NHL ready”? I just don’t think I have read that anywhere.

And it isn’t just a question of being able to play NHL shifts. You have to factor in what is best for the players development. If he can’t outplay 2 of Stone, Rasmus, and Kulak then he isn’t even getting the ice time to justify having him on the roster. 20 minutes a night in the AHL is better for him than bottom pairing spot duty.

But if he can out play enough players then by all means give him their spot
Old 06-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #1537
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Kulak's spot on the roster is in jeopardy. He's a decent defenseman and a good skater but he's not a difference maker like Andersson, Valimaki or Kylington could potentially be. That being said, training camp Kulak is a beast, so he's gonna be tough to beat.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:26 AM   #1538
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Before you call for the Flames to bring up another rookie D this year, think long and hard about the next expansion draft ramifications.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3rd Degree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 11:27 AM   #1539
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I think Kulak's spot on the roster is in jeopardy. He's a decent defenseman and a good skater but he's not a difference maker like Andersson, Valimaki or Kylington could potentially be. That being said, training camp Kulak is a beast, so he's gonna be tough to beat.
I agree with this. Not the 'in jeopardy' part, but I don't see a lot of upside. I see Kulak on the roster until Valimaki and-or Kylington pass him on the depth charts. It's just a question of when. But I don't think it's this year.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:29 AM   #1540
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
The Flames are in the business of maximizing their assets and managing the cap. Why would they bring Valimaki up, burn a year of his elc, and then have to protect him in the next expansion draft when they could let him gain valuable experience in the AHL with no ill affects to the team or player? Valimaki’s 1st year in the NHL would likely be more impactful after a year in the A. What you’re suggesting reeks of Oiler asset management.
My comment is based on if a player has earned a spot, you do not place them in the AHL based on contract status. Your oilers reference makes no sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread