Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #2881
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Except Tyrion knew it was Jaime. You just saw your brother nearly get incinerated and then potentially drown in the river and don't bother to even wait the 2 minutes required to see if he comes up for air? Have one of the thousands of minions go and look for his body?

And he somehow knew Jaime was alive anyways as he wanted to get that secret meeting.

None of that really made sense. It's almost like there was a last minute change and originally Jaime and Tyrion were to meet at the battlefield, perhaps they didn't want the Kingslayer to meet Daenarys so soon, or they didn't want Tyrion betray Daenarys and let Jaime flee from the battle, but it probably would have flowed better.
Why would Tyrion tell Dany that was his brother. He was obviously conflicted.

I will admit that the "I'll tell Jaime" when he couldn't really know if he truly survived is a bit of a reach, but at this point i couldn't care less about inconsistencies like that.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:31 PM   #2882
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Again though, why not just explain these things a bit better. Opening of the show, "We couldn't find Jamie's body Khaleesi."

Instead, it's writing by affectation. Tyrion cares about his brother for the "drama." Next episode, doesn't care because no drama.

Jon Snow needs to be in some action sequences, so lets write a ridiculous story line to achieve that.
How did she know it was Jaime Lannister?

Has she seen a photograph of him somewhere?

Did she turn around right before it happened and notice the lion armor before her dragon stepped in front of her and attempted to incinerate him?

Do you want Morgan Freeman to narrate the show or could you try a little harder to connect the dots before lambasting the show.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #2883
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I think it was suggested that Tyrion didn't disclose to anyone that Jaime was at the battle based on how conflicted he looked both before and after the battle.

I also thought in that scene where he was looking through the ashes, he was actively looking for remnants of Jaime. The only way to explain it further would have been to have some kind of internal monologue. Tyrion, during these scenes, is doing his best to keep his cool, while watching his former family and subjects be massacred.

They could have later showed a scene where Tyrion's agents contact Bronn to see if Jaime is actually dead. However, the scene where Cersei explains what happened filled in that gap.

EDIT: I would like to see a version of the show with a Morgan Freeman monologue...that would actually be hilarious.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #2884
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The show feels like it's falling apart without the guiding hand of Martin's existing works.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #2885
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The show feels like it's falling apart without the guiding hand of Martin's existing works.
We have all the character development we need/that was required. (Euron aside)

All characters have been introduced and are working towards the end of the story.

Do we really need valuable story time wasted explaining how Bron managed to drag Jamie to the coastline and escape? Do we really need the army to search the shorelines to find a single soldier?

Sure this could have been stretched into 25 episodes instead of 13, but in reality we all know the characters motives now, we know the world they live in, do we really need to spend extra episodes seeing them traveling around?

These last 3 episodes are 3 of my favorites yet.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #2886
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Then Martin probably should have guided his hands to a typewriter.

I thought the last two episodes have been great. They stopped with the Deus Ex Machina elements saving Cersei (which is why I hope this stupid Iron Bank mercenary army doesn't actually become a thing), it should be a good season.

Now we have the Magnificent Seven going into the North and the return of the white walkers. Pretty pretty good.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #2887
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
It's a bit disappointing that they seem to be glossing over the details on how meetings etc are getting set up. On the other hand we've had a half dozen seasons of knowing that the players left in this game have numerous information sources. There is also a geography convenience for much of what is happening around Dragonstone and King's Landing (and armies returning to King's Landing).

I'm not shocked that a secret meeting between Tyrion and Jaime was organized...it was bound to happen once Tyrion was back on Westeros soil. And Bronn is the common contact for the two. He's also a guy not really loyal to anything let alone a throne or monarch. The only loyalty he has shown is to Tyrion and Jaime and honestly those relationships last precisely long enough until Bronn feels it is no longer moving him ahead in the world (dumping Tyrion for a cushy marriage promise and castle). Bronn keeps his options open when things look bleak. The Lannister army just got routed and barbecued. They are plummeting down this weeks Power rankings. Bronn sees this and does a solid for the team on the rise....

The intriguing thing to me was Littlefinger and Arya. I can't help but think Arya is the one playing Littlefinger in all of this. Robb saw through the letter and Arya is a good deal smarter and experienced than Robb.
Also Bronn said to Jamie that he wanted no part of fighting against dragons. So arranging for a meeting that might eventually lead to some kind of truce is in his interest so as to stay close to the people in power without the threat of getting torched alive. Or as you say keeping the option open to flip back over to Tyrion in case team Dany puts their foot to the Lannisters throat by helping him set up the meeting.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #2888
steve9981
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think people are looking too detailed into a fantasy setting story. Yes, I understand if this was real life or a real war, things would play out differently but its a TV show. Anyways, I feel like the reason Jaime didn't get captured is the exact same reason we saw Gendry after however many seasons its been.....they all have a role to play in the conclusion to this show. Yes, again to you whiners, it would make sense to capture to kill Jaime right then and there but it didn't happen because he will more than likely have an important role to the story later, same with all the characters left. When this show is done and you look at the story as a whole you will realize why Jaime survived but if it really bothers you that much maybe a show about dragons, witches, walking dead, decade lasting seasons and magical walls isn't your forte?
steve9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:42 PM   #2889
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I don't really have an issue with the timeline of the show, it's not really of great consequence to the telling of the store if things happen in succession. Does the journey between events really matter that much, or is it the fact that there is an event happening.

But the plot device to throw Jamie into the depths of the river then have him not re-appear until he's miles away from the battle.. that's just too much of a leap in my mind. It's a valid critique of the writing to have something that ridiculous happen. Granted, you can tell yourself to just move past it and still be capable of enjoying the rest of the show, but it's still sloppy IMO.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #2890
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I've been loving the episodes but it really seems obvious to me that they have rushed the storylines.

I think the show has suffered since the very beginning from only being 10 episodes. And even though this season's episodes will equal only slightly less screen time than usual, it seems abundantly obvious that they don't have enough time to tell the story with the nuance that previous seasons had.

Having an extra 2-3 hours per season (12 or 13 episodes) would have really helped flesh out some of the things that felt rushed. This season it is even more obvious because 10 is already too short and 7 just makes it feel like everything is half explained.

I'm still loving it, but I think some of the shortcomings are being made more obvious by the lack of proper storytelling time available.

I'm hesitant to blame the lack of source material. Martin has been very involved in the show since the beginning and there is no reason for us to believe that he hasn't had some input on the non-book based seasons. Less perhaps, but hard to believe he's not consulting at all anymore.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #2891
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the acting in this scene was the best we've seen from Jon and Dany.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #2892
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have to disagree with you here. The last few seasons and the last few books have been quite dissimilar, with a LOT of stuff omitted from the TV show in an effort to maintain some sense of a manageable plot. Still, they've been faithful to the major points of the books even when it detracted from advancing the plot (the Meereen years to be specific). Now that the show runners aren't burdened by the books, they can progress the plot in a way that is a lot more TV friendly. Sure, the nuance and detail is lost, but it's a LOT more entertaining.

If you want to see how the story goes under the guiding hand of Martin, just read the books.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #2893
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Stupid budget issues. They should have done a fan campaign to raise funds so we could extend the last two season to 20 episodes each.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #2894
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the pacing has been a bit jarring because the show was clearly treading water a bit in the hopes that Martin would drop the next book. It explains why flashbacks previously skipped (Tower of Joy) were suddenly introduced in later seasons, it explains why chunks of episodes last season were spent doing in-universe dramatic re-tellings of events the audience has already watched. It explains why time was spent on journeys over the course of a season now take place several times within a single episode.

I'm sure the last few seasons (probably 5-8) would have been paced much differently if they were adapting a completed series vs. a series in progress.

Oh well. It's still been thrilling for me seeing some of these threads come to resolution, despite any jarring pacing concerns.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #2895
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I think the pacing has been a bit jarring because the show was clearly treading water a bit in the hopes that Martin would drop the next book. It explains why flashbacks previously skipped (Tower of Joy) were suddenly introduced in later seasons, it explains why chunks of episodes last season were spent doing in-universe dramatic re-tellings of events the audience has already watched. It explains why time was spent on journeys over the course of a season now take place several times within a single episode.

I'm sure the last few seasons (probably 5-8) would have been paced much differently if they were adapting a completed series vs. a series in progress.

Oh well. It's still been thrilling for me seeing some of these threads come to resolution, despite any jarring pacing concerns.
Loved episode 5, but absolutely the pacing has been jarring. We went from 2 seasons that crawled at a snails pace to this season where days/weeks pass in a moment. However, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with this season's pace of season 5 and 6.

You're 100% correct that the problem was George RR Martin not writing or providing information fast enough. Even now he's kind of jerking everyone around with the Winds of Winter released date, basically stating he'll have it done anytime now..Martin still needs to write another book after that, but has stated that one might not even be the last one.

So basically, it could be a decade or more before Martin finishes the story. Hopefully Mr. Martin lives that long himself....In the meantime the show, which is under time and financial constraints to finish, has really suffered.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #2896
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Martin's guiding hand? Lord almighty. That's the biggest tumor of a post in the most cancerous thread on Calgarypuck. Martin needs someone to guide him through his own novels, much less him helping a TV show.

Episodes four or five have been two of the best back-to-back episodes of the series and to nitnick it endlessly it's rather tiresome. You can go back and nitnick any episode from any season. People just complain and whine the longer a series go. A guy like Tinordi is just a wet blanket and will some thing to cry about, just the kind of poster he is.

The accelerated pass was surprising but I didn't find it jarring at all. It was only three weeks ago some posted wondering how they would wrap up the series with only X amount of hours left because episodes one and two were rather slow.

Things are winding down, there are less characters and the ones who are left are together. Instead of one or two scenes per episode each major character is getting several and loads of screen time, that leads to a faster pace.

I wonder if Jorah and Jon will get the chance to talk about Sam, and I'm curious if Joran recognizes his families sword in Jon's hand.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #2897
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fans around the world should start banding together to help fund a full length final season. I would wait until the rumored 2019 to allow them to pull out all the stops and give a proper ending to a great series that deserves it.

Rather this 6 episodes on fast forward rubbish..
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #2898
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Martin's guiding hand? Lord almighty. That's the biggest tumor of a post in the most cancerous thread on Calgarypuck.
No, I'm pretty sure it's eclipsed by your use of "nitnick".
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #2899
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I honestly think that book writers may never see an actual ending here. Martin looks like he could drop dead at any moment, and based on the statement he keeps making, he seems to have no intention of wrapping things up anytime soon.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #2900
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I must admit I'm getting a kick out of all the "why would this character do that? It doesn't make sense, it would never really happen that way".

Have you ever read a history book? Armies making nonsensical tactial decisions happens all the freaking time

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote