Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Markus "Frickin" Granlund

It is time he gets his own thread.

The 45th overall pick in the second round from the 2011 draft and one of the pieces in probably Feasters best trade has put together a very impressive rookie campaign to date.

Stats: 47 GP, 23G, 19A and a +9 so far. 13th in the AHL in overall points scoring,
4th in the AHL in Goals.

Some doubted his ability to make the transition to North America and is proving he at the very least can make some noise.

As of right now if he keeps this up it can be a safe projection to pencil him in as a top six forward on more than a few NHL rosters. But I am excited that he will be chomping at the bit here in the Flames system. Keep it going Granlund.

EDIT: A new poster added wanted to add a video, PM'd me this as it shows every goal he has scored this year. Credit goes to GybonB .

Last edited by dammage79; 02-18-2014 at 01:18 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

colour me impressed, I never thought his transition to North America would be that smooth. It's great to see and he has slowly emerged as one of the top prospects in the system. Can't wait until the Flames ship out one or two vets at the deadline so we can finally see what he can do at the NHL level. He has certainly earned a chance by now (as have Knight and Reinhart).
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah this guy deserves a "frickin" thread.

He's been tearin' it up in the AHL. Keep it up!
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Markus Frickin' Granlund.

What a beast. When he was shipped off to Abby after camp, I told everyone to watch out for him, that he was gonna tear it up down there with those skills of his. Could tell since development camp and watching him. Glad he's proven me right. He deserves a week or two on the big team in March/April to get a taste of where he'll likely be next season for a lot longer.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

He's had a better pro season this year than Baertschi has had. I was a bit skeptical of this pick at first but Markus has done nothing but prove himself and improve. He should be rocketing up our prospect lists after the year he's having in the AHL.

Be curious to see if he gets any time with the big club post trade deadline.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I know we have talked about this in other threads, but generally Granlund will play the wing correct? Or him and Knight or him and Reinhart will switch back and forth? Any chance he is playing the RW?

It would be great to slot him in on the RW of Gaudreau-Backlund for a few exhibition games next fall just to see what happens. That would be a great two way line with a lot of goal scoring power. Possibly lacking some grit though.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully once Burke unloads Cammy, Stempniak, and maybe Galliardi Granlund, Reinhart, Knight/Sven can come up and get a good look. Granlund has impressed beyond expectations this year
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I know we have talked about this in other threads, but generally Granlund will play the wing correct? Or him and Knight or him and Reinhart will switch back and forth? Any chance he is playing the RW?

It would be great to slot him in on the RW of Gaudreau-Backlund for a few exhibition games next fall just to see what happens. That would be a great two way line with a lot of goal scoring power. Possibly lacking some grit though.
If Granlund can play the wing, that would be great. Colborne is already capable of playing the wing, and I think Backlund can too. Definitely helps to have a lot of centers, but even better to have centers that can play wing as well. That way, we have two players that can take the FO just in case one gets kicked out. That, or the player is not having a good night taking the draws.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #9
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

I have seen some say Granlund is on the wing more than Reinhart, but I have seen the opposite, I find Granlund is used more at center than Reinhart
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

His numbers are very promising for sure. His brother played just 29 games in the AHL netting 28 points and was a -1, currently Markus is at 42 points in 47 games and is a +9. Looking at how Mikael has become a prominent piece for the Wild thus far this year jumping up from 13 minutes of ATOI in 27 NHL games last year to 17 minutes ATOI this year to date makes me very excited about this pick!

You can't always judge a player based on his brother - Lindros, Hossa, Regehr etc. But Markus has been an impact player in the AHL so far and has been used to playing against a heightened competition through most of his pro career. Exciting stuff!
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That release is so fast.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
That release is so fast.
Yeah he doesn't seem to be doing anything special, other than getting into position. He just has quick hands and an accurate shot, which may give him an NHL career.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #14
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Yeah he doesn't seem to be doing anything special, other than getting into position. He just has quick hands and an accurate shot, which may give him an NHL career.
It's more than that. He's got swag, can deke, and plays a decent physical game.

His release is on display in this highlight reel, but he plays good all over the ice. You shoulda seen the pass he made to Jones on the goal last game. Silliness.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #15
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

He looks more like a winger than a center, at least in that video posted above.

How is he in his own zone?
Old 02-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #16
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
It's more than that. He's got swag, can deke, and plays a decent physical game.

His release is on display in this highlight reel, but he plays good all over the ice. You shoulda seen the pass he made to Jones on the goal last game. Silliness.
Is be a better overall/more nhl ready player than Knight, Street or Jones?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #17
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
He looks more like a winger than a center, at least in that video posted above.

How is he in his own zone?
Good question.

Ward started giving Granlund and company a lot more defensive zone draws and the kid uses his stick well to defend.

The thing that sticks out in my mind is that when he's on the PK (which has been a lot lately), he actually goes out there and blocks shots. I found this surprising because it goes against everything one would assume he is. I was labelled impressed.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #18
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Well.. Definitely better than Knight, though Knight looks good.

Street is a weird case because he looks like he should be able to translate his skills to the NHL but hasn't.

Jones is a utility player that flourishes under nicer assignments. PP, offensive zone starts, etc. That's where Jones is good. But he doesn't deke players out like Granlund, and he doesn't drive play north like Granlund.

He looks equivalent in NHL readiness to Street, but his game is much more skilled than Street's. Way higher ceiling.

Granlund is ready enough for a look, but it'll be wasted outside the top-6. He needs puck touches to play his game. 12 minutes a night likely won't be enough to see him do his thing. Would be great with a natural finisher like Monahan, great pass.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:24 PM   #19
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Granlund is better offensively than Knight, but Knight has a better all around game.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #20
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post

Street/Jones are both 27. They are good AHL players and are fine for a short call up, but that's all they are.

Hopefully if we get some more call ups in the near future, they are players like Granlund/Reinhart/Knight/Baertschi.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote