Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2021, 09:48 PM   #4481
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m impatient! What can I say?
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:53 PM   #4482
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
A powerhouse Ducks team and young Flames team. Treliving hasn't done enough to support Gaudreau.

Maybe not all his fault, Sam Bennett was suppose to be a core piece but never developed, maybe Flames are at fault here for rushing him in and also for hiring crap coaches.

All I'm saying, we have guys who have won and have "elevated their games" before. The mix isn't right, that doesn't mean they all suck and can't raise their games.

I think Gaudreau is a keeper. Maybe Monahan isn't but I think it's a bad time to sell him when his value is low. I'm not 100% sure yet on Tkachuk, he played well in the OHL playoffs and Memorial Cup, but hasn't put up the points in the NHL playoffs; however, he has been in impactful player though even without the points.

Backlund has scored a few OT goals in playoffs and championships through various leagues, those are examples of raising his game.

I'm on the Eichel train and I'm ok with Tkachuk, Monahan, Mangiapane being moved in exchange. I'd like to keep Gaudreau cause I think he's an elite player and has another step he can take and Lindholm cause his contract is really good value.
If we can get Eichel that would be a major shift in the right direction.

I like Gaudreau as well. I think he is miscast as the teams top offensive threat as he is too easily shut down. Obviously the Kessel narrative has been brought up a lot, when he was put into a role that suited him better in Pitt he flourished. JG seems like a great supporting piece, but not the tip of the spear.

Using past performances in things like Memorial Cups, OHL championships, IIHF World Championships hold very little relevance, for me, when it comes to translating that into NHL success. Tkachuk was playing with Marner and Dvorak on that London Knights team with Olli Juolevi. Not a lot of playoff success with those players. Taylor Hall was a memorial cup winner. The NHL is a different beast.

I am with you regarding Tkachuk. Last season was not very reassuring. Who knows what player to expect this coming season. The one with the fiery intensity or the guy who was not as engaged as we are used to seeing.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:53 PM   #4483
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Don't like when people disagree with you? I figured we were just having a discussion. My bad.

Either way I will answer your question: I know what I have seen in terms of results on the ice, a team that continually places in the bottom half of the leagues standings, or when they actually get into the playoffs, often look like a team that gets outworked, and it's the guys getting the majority of the minutes that are the ones getting consistently outworked.

If no two teams progressions are the same then why even mention Ovechkin's team as a reference point ? You brought that up!
Well, if you wanted to have a discussion, let’s get to the other point I raised. You don’t think there is reason for optimism. Seems like at every opportunity you take the low road and project that the team and its leadership are failures for at least as long as I’ve been paying attention to it.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:55 PM   #4484
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Comparing our core to Ovechkin, the greatest sniper in NHL history has become my favorite recurring CP analogy.
3 years of reading that now, it's still just as silly.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 09:59 PM   #4485
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
If we can get Eichel that would be a major shift in the right direction.

I like Gaudreau as well. I think he is miscast as the teams top offensive threat as he is too easily shut down. Obviously the Kessel narrative has been brought up a lot, when he was put into a role that suited him better in Pitt he flourished. JG seems like a great supporting piece, but not the tip of the spear.

Using past performances in things like Memorial Cups, OHL championships, IIHF World Championships hold very little relevance, for me, when it comes to translating that into NHL success. Tkachuk was playing with Marner and Dvorak on that London Knights team with Olli Juolevi. Not a lot of playoff success with those players. Taylor Hall was a memorial cup winner. The NHL is a different beast.

I am with you regarding Tkachuk. Last season was not very reassuring. Who knows what player to expect this coming season. The one with the fiery intensity or the guy who was not as engaged as we are used to seeing.
Honestly, I'm not sure that Gaudreau isn't in the same tier or class as Draisatl. If Gaudreau played with McDavid, he might have the same production as Draisatl.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:04 PM   #4486
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Well, if you wanted to have a discussion, let’s get to the other point I raised. You don’t think there is reason for optimism. Seems like at every opportunity you take the low road and project that the team and its leadership are failures for at least as long as I’ve been paying attention to it.
Yes. I have little optimism that this core of players has what it takes. I posted earlier that I am fan of the team, and am always hopeful that there will be a turnaround, but this core group of players has yet to give me much reason to anticipate anything other than the usual. There will always be hope before the season starts, there is still a lot of time in the offseason, I am hopeful that a major core shakeup will occur. I will cheer for wins. But I think this teams makeup is fundamentally flawed, and when I see the calibre of teams that are making it deep into the playoffs year after year I see very little similarities between how this group of players competes vs those high calibre teams. I don't quite get the whole need for optimism and cheer. Yes I am a fan, I am hopeful they can win, I want to see a winner, but I don't think they are on the right path.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:07 PM   #4487
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

This team has done jack s**t since the ‘04 run, yeah we won a series against the Canucks, won a division title only to get thrashed by the Avs, what do fans have to be positive about? Same old, no drive, no emotion, ho hum Flames, since the lockout. Woo! Yay? If this was Reddit I’d get down voted into oblivion, but this team has been fair to middling for 17 years.
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:09 PM   #4488
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luder View Post
This team has done jack s**t since the ‘04 run, yeah we won a series against the Canucks, won a division title only to get thrashed by the Avs, what do fans have to be positive about? Same old, no drive, no emotion, ho hum Flames, since the lockout. Woo! Yay? If this was Reddit I’d get down voted into oblivion, but this team has been fair to middling for 17 years.
This must suck for you.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:10 PM   #4489
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This must suck for you.

I’m a Flames fan, I’m used to it.
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 10:13 PM   #4490
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I will add I do like the Coleman signing. I think he has attributes that this team is lacking. Speed, ability to generate offense 5 on 5. Eichel would be the missing piece of this team, a true number one C.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:14 PM   #4491
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Year after year of, "we were in on a few, but just couldn't pay get the deal done."

It's gotten to the point now where you need to deliver. You've painted yourself into a corner with your refusal to pay anyone's asking price every year, and now you're going to have to pay whatever the price is just to finally deliver. Even if it's an over pay.

It's like the ship is sinking and you're being too picky about which lifeboat to get on. It's tough to keep being picky when there's only one boat left.

Last edited by FanIn80; 07-28-2021 at 10:16 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 10:21 PM   #4492
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Year after year of, "we were in on a few, but just couldn't pay get the deal done."

It's gotten to the point now where you need to deliver. You've painted yourself into a corner with your refusal to pay anyone's asking price every year, and now you're going to have to pay whatever the price is just to finally deliver. Even if it's an over pay.

It's like the ship is sinking and you're being too picky about which lifeboat to get on. Suddenly there's only one boat left so you have to get on regardless of what shape it's in.
This narrative is just wrong. He’s made a bunch of mistakes but there have been big trades or signings almost every year. Really just one where I can’t remember much done, and that was after a great points season but lousy POs and he no doubt figured on seeing if that was an anomaly. And he still switched up goaltending.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:31 PM   #4493
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
This narrative is just wrong. He’s made a bunch of mistakes but there have been big trades or signings almost every year. Really just one where I can’t remember much done, and that was after a great points season but lousy POs and he no doubt figured on seeing if that was an anomaly. And he still switched up goaltending.
Pretty sure the quote is in reference to trades

Last big trade was June 23, 2018, Lindholm trade

Since then was a lots of depth like moves.....
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:34 PM   #4494
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Pretty sure the quote is in reference to trades

Last big trade was June 23, 2018, Lindholm trade

Since then was a lots of depth like moves.....
Trades versus big signings - who cares which?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #4495
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Trades versus big signings - who cares which?
What do you mean, who cares? The whole strategy of being negative depends on it.

If Treliving makes a big signing, it proves that he can't make a trade. Fire him!

If he makes a trade to improve the team in the present, it proves that he doesn't care about the future, bleeding picks, blah blah blah. Fire him!

If he does neither and builds through the draft, it proves that he's a do-nothing GM who yaps on the phone all day and never gets anything done. Fire him!
Old 07-29-2021, 01:35 PM   #4496
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even the anti-negativity passive aggression is tedious.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flame On For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 01:40 PM   #4497
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Brad Treliving builds a team that wins a playoff round or two he would probably get criticized a lot less by the Flames fan base.

Pretty simple really.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 01:42 PM   #4498
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If Brad Treliving builds a team that wins a playoff round or two he would probably get criticized a lot less by the Flames fan base.

Pretty simple really.
Simple but not
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:43 PM   #4499
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
What do you mean, who cares? The whole strategy of being negative depends on it.

If Treliving makes a big signing, it proves that he can't make a trade. Fire him!

If he makes a trade to improve the team in the present, it proves that he doesn't care about the future, bleeding picks, blah blah blah. Fire him!

If he does neither and builds through the draft, it proves that he's a do-nothing GM who yaps on the phone all day and never gets anything done. Fire him!
After 7 yrs, there is no trust left
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:47 PM   #4500
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Pretty simple really.
Given the length of time in the position and the results yielded to date -- Treliving gets a remarkably low amount of criticism. Even in the media there hasn't seemed to have been much scrutiny about his position over the past couple seasons.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote