Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2024, 12:16 PM   #21
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Which is why the Flames have not been able to trade him for literally anything.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:17 PM   #22
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I hope so. Any goalie is going to get lit up when they are playing behind a defense with two top four dmen, a #5, and then #6/7s. Markstrom got lit up in his last start as well. They should use Vladar to shelter Wolf and see if either can grab the starter position.
They should invest in a psychologist as well if they are running with this D. I think Vladar probably has an occupational health and safety claim.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 12:17 PM   #23
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

JFC, this poster must be a troll. Joins just recently and starts a rant about Vladar with a team that just traded away 1/3 of the defensive corps and and other pending UFA's for a rebuild. Not sure what the deal is with him and Vladar. Leave it alone. Flames are retooling/rebuilding. Goalie position is not even a concern at the moment. And, rushing Wolf at this point in time might be a bad move for the organization.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:18 PM   #24
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
He gets beat over the shoulder(s).

A lot.
So does Wolf
Old 03-13-2024, 12:19 PM   #25
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
JFC, this poster must be a troll. Joins just recently and starts a rant about Vladar with a team that just traded away 1/3 of the defensive corps and and other pending UFA's for a rebuild. Not sure what the deal is with him and Vladar. Leave it alone. Flames are retooling/rebuilding. Goalie position is not even a concern at the moment. And, rushing Wolf at this point in time might be a bad move for the organization.
Very possible. I've seen like 10 posts and they've all been trolling. He did like one of my GT posts - where I said Vladar could have had better positiioning on a goal.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:20 PM   #26
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Count me in the group that thinks Vladar needs to play regularly before I pass judgment on what he is and what he can really be. Ditto for Wolf as well. It may just be difficult coming into a game after a month's layoff and performing well.
Vladar has played regularly before and it has failed. He's a bad backup that some fans are weirdly high on for some reason. He needs to be turfed by waivers or buyout because nobody is taking that on and he's not helping the team in any way.

Wolf on the other hand, needs NHL time, and it might be a rough go to start, but I'd rather see him get some of these rookie jitters out now and allow him to work all summer than wait another season and deal with it next year too.

It's also foolish to think this team will be this bad next season. They will shore up the D core and adjust with more youth and energy upfront. You can play a decent game and still be rebuilding. Even Mrazek has a .906 on Chicago and they are baaad.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:20 PM   #27
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Goalie is our one surplus position. They are all going to be shell shocked next year. Like the goalie from slapshot.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:21 PM   #28
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I want to like him, but maybe that's because we paid a second for him. Every time I watch him though there always seems to be a goal where I think "he should have had that" or that maybe a better goalie would have made that save.

Pretty tough to justify his $2m salary based on his play this season though. Maybe he'd be better if we play him more next year? Dunno, but it probably wouldn't hurt to try out. If he doesn't work out maybe waive him and grab some other retread to mentor Wolf.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:21 PM   #29
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Very possible. I've seen like 10 posts and they've all been trolling. He did like one of my GT posts - where I said Vladar could have had better positiioning on a goal.
Maybe it’s Wolf
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 12:32 PM   #30
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKast View Post
I want to like him, but maybe that's because we paid a second for him. Every time I watch him though there always seems to be a goal where I think "he should have had that" or that maybe a better goalie would have made that save.

Pretty tough to justify his $2m salary based on his play this season though. Maybe he'd be better if we play him more next year? Dunno, but it probably wouldn't hurt to try out. If he doesn't work out maybe waive him and grab some other retread to mentor Wolf.
There are usually a lot of veteran goalies out there for probably less than markstrom is making. Probably not as good. But serviceable.

Veterans that have a choice are probably not coming to calgary next year. So might not be the cream of the crop.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:35 PM   #31
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
There are usually a lot of veteran goalies out there for probably less than markstrom is making. Probably not as good. But serviceable.

Veterans that have a choice are probably not coming to calgary next year. So might not be the cream of the crop.
Why bother chasing another goalie just to have them ground up. Trade Markstrom and see if Wold or Vladar are starters.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:36 PM   #32
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I feel like I am taking crazy pills. How does anyone (fans and media) think he has any value? He hasn't been any good for 2 years and that includes time with a flames team that was supposed to compete. Big does not equal good.

It is puzzling to me that they wouldn't just send him down to the AHL to work on his game (he was pretty good there) and re-build some confidence while Wolf gets some experience. I highly doubt teams would want to take on his contract given his play at this point.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ST20 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 12:38 PM   #33
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I would trade Markstrom and sign a vet with some NHL games in the off-season. I don't think this team is going to be good next season even with a prime Hasek in net
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 12:39 PM   #34
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Every signing treliving made that season was rushed and all have aged horribly except Weegar. Enjoy it maple leafs
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:42 PM   #35
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Huh? How is this a troll? I've literally only talked about Vladar in game threads where he was starting.

This thread has stats about vladar that shows he is one of the worst goalies in the league. Not just this season but the last one under Darryl Sutter too.

If Vladar had a D core that consisted of Tanev and Hanifin and their top center and still had really bad stats then I think we know how he is going to play forward.

Calling this a troll is disingenuous. If you don't want to talk about Vladar then you don't have to but I think goaltending is an important part of a team and we are retooling not rebuilding and will need good goaltending.

Last edited by Zary's-Mustache; 03-13-2024 at 12:45 PM.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 01:14 PM   #36
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Sounds like one of those good problems
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:16 PM   #37
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the summer of 2021 the Flames paid a 3rd round pick to get Vladar from the Bruins.

Then, after getting a 3rd round pick for Vladar the Bruins went out and signed free agent goalie Linus Ullmark.

Linus Ullmark - 83-23-10 / 2.30 GAA / 0.924 save% / 0.701 QS% and won a Vezina
Daniel Vladar - 35-21-9 / 3.05 GAA / 0.894 save% / 0.459 QS%

Hahaha

I'm not saying the Flames could have signed Ullmark, as they didn't have a starters spot available to offer him...but that is some funny #### right there.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 01:19 PM   #38
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I thought the OP was being unduly harsh last night but I guess the numbers do not lie.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:26 PM   #39
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Yeah, but who has been luckier than Boston when it comes to goalies.

Thomas comes out of nowhere at age 28 and proceeds to put up numbers for years. Thomas getting really old? Well, let's see which of the Leafs' two prospect goalies we can trade for. They want to keep Pogge? OK, we'll trade for Rask. Rask is getting old? OK, we have Swayman - he looks good. And Buffalo let Ullmark walk? Let's grab him, making Vladar expendable.

Note: Vladar was traded and Ullmark signed on the same day - not sure what happened first, but it's clear Calgary wasn't in any Ullmark sweepstakes.

Last edited by GioforPM; 03-13-2024 at 01:31 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 01:27 PM   #40
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Last night, you'd like a save on the Nichushkin goal. You need a save on the Mittlestadt goal.

Other than that, what's he supposed to do?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post: