Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2023, 10:51 PM   #1041
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Yeah, I moved to BC a couple months ago and I have absolutely 0 idea what the BC gov is actually spending its money on. I mean of course infrastructure is harder to build when you need to knock down a mountain to do it each time but like come on.
Hopefully you have a thick skin if you moved here from AB, haha. Just casually point out that B.C's largest export is coal, with natural gas a distant but respectable second.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 09:33 AM   #1042
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Yeah, I moved to BC a couple months ago and I have absolutely 0 idea what the BC gov is actually spending its money on. I mean of course infrastructure is harder to build when you need to knock down a mountain to do it each time but like come on.
You're going to need to build up your tolerance to smug. I would recommend starting a routine a month before you move or cupping and smelling your own farts to prepare yourself.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 10:02 AM   #1043
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
Hopefully you have a thick skin if you moved here from AB, haha. Just casually point out that B.C's largest export is coal, with natural gas a distant but respectable second.
Metallurgical coal to be fair.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 10:11 AM   #1044
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Metallurgical coal to be fair.
Not so fast...

https://ricochet.media/en/3979/bcs-d...l-coal-exports
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 10:30 AM   #1045
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's American coal. The Elk Valley mines only produce steel-making coal. But point taken.

Quote:
The majority of the coal moved through the coal port arrives by train from the Powder River Basin in Wyoming and Montana, home to the largest coal mines in the U.S. Wyoming is the top coal-producing state – the heart of “coal country.”
Old 08-21-2023, 10:42 AM   #1046
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
With proposals for new coal export terminals in Washington State and Oregon having been rejected due to environmental concerns and assertions of Indigenous rights, B.C.’s southern coal port is basically the only way out through the Pacific Northwest to Asian markets. And thanks to a loophole that calculates emissions partly on distance travelled from the site of extraction to port, these U.S. thermal coal exports barely pay any carbon tax in B.C.

Seems like a big loophole, and BC's regulations are basically enabling the export of a product that would have been trapped in the US. I guess their environmentalists and indigenous have better lobbyists?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 10:55 AM   #1047
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Seems like a big loophole, and BC's regulations are basically enabling the export of a product that would have been trapped in the US. I guess their environmentalists and indigenous have better lobbyists?
I was on the Robert Banks 2 assessment for years and I can firmly say our environmentalists and Indigenous nations are lobbying just fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 02:36 PM   #1048
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were just talking the other day in our group chat about how this last summer was very quiet in terms of shootings in Van compared to summers in the past.

https://www.tricitynews.com/local-ne...urhood-7586286

Quote:
An RCMP officer is dead and another Mountie is wounded after a shooting in the Coquitlam City Centre neighbourhood this morning, Sept. 22, the Tri-City News has confirmed.

The incident happened at around 11 a.m. in a building at Pinetree Way and Glen Drive while a search warrant was being executed.

Police are advising the public to avoid the area as it is an "active crime scene."

And traffic is partially closed along the two streets.

Passersby told media on site that they heard a number of shots fired and saw someone bleeding being carried out on a stretcher.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 02:45 PM   #1049
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
We were just talking the other day in our group chat about how this last summer was very quiet in terms of shootings in Van compared to summers in the past.

https://www.tricitynews.com/local-ne...urhood-7586286
My kid is home today on a pro-d day, but I received an email from her after school daycare just a little while ago saying the whole area was closed off to traffic and pedestrians. Glad she isn't there today.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 09-22-2023 at 02:59 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2023, 01:00 AM   #1050
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is a more detailed story of the shooting today in Coquitlam. The RCMP officer killed was a father of 6 and two other officers are seriously injured. Sounds like the suspect was taken into custody alive.

https://vancouversun.com/news/crime/...rive-coquitlam
Old 09-23-2023, 01:32 AM   #1051
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9980870/r...sed-vancouver/

Suspect in 4 violent incidents on Vancouver’s west side arrested, released again

The suspect in four random and violent incidents within a span of 45 minutes on Vancouver’s west side last week has been arrested and released again – just five days after he got out of jail.

Prince is accused of striking a woman in the leg with a chain on a bus near Broadway and Granville streets before threatening to hit a man and then threatening two other people with a concrete block near Broadway and Vine streets.

After a brief foot chase through Kitsilano, Vancouver police said they took the suspect into custody at Connaught Park.

Prince was released on Sept. 15 less than 24 hours after his arrest.

On Sept. 20, Prince was arrested on the University Endowment Lands and accused of breaching an August 24 release order with only one condition: not to attend the University Endowment Lands.

Prince was released again on Sept. 21 – his third release from custody in less than one month.

“The trend is to release people unless you can show there’s a likelihood the person is going to commit a criminal offence,” former B.C. Attorney General Wally Oppal told Global News Friday.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 05:55 AM   #1052
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any takes on this? Any issues with this sign posted in Port Coquitlam for a private gathering?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1706061511654051880
Old 09-25-2023, 06:01 AM   #1053
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any takes on this? Any issues with this sign posted in Port Coquitlam for a private gathering?

What? That cant be real. Not in the Paradise that is BC!!

But seriously...is that even legal? 'Only white kids can play here!'

Frankly, I think kids of all races and ethnicities should mix and meet as early as possible.

People are people. Discrimination based on colour is learned.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2023, 07:49 AM   #1054
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

If they really want to be surrounded by white people then they just need to move a few hours away to any number of small towns in BC
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 07:50 AM   #1055
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

WTF? As a white supremicist father of a tot I find this highly offensive. I just wish these Karens could stop for a moment and consider how it makes me feel, being excluded because of giant bald head and tiny little dick.

I'm also considered they aren't doing enough to keep the Jews out.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2023, 07:51 AM   #1056
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Man, BC seems like it's falling apart. I'm probably wrong, but I literally see no good news coming out of that province.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 08:00 AM   #1057
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Hey guys, any takes on the Nazi parents group? Any issues? No?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2023, 08:11 AM   #1058
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hopefully they aren't letting in those "white" Catholics like the Italians and the Greeks. What's next, the Irish?!
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2023, 08:17 AM   #1059
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Hey guys, any takes on the Nazi parents group? Any issues? No?
Go on...
Old 09-25-2023, 10:21 AM   #1060
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If they really want to be surrounded by white people then they just need to move a few hours away to any number of small towns in BC
You don't even have to go that far...the true paradise that is Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge is only about a 5 minute drive from PoCo.

But yes, as soon as you leave Vancouver and Victoria, BC can be pretty racist pretty quick. Much worse than anything I've seen in Alberta. This sign in PoCo doesn't surprise me at all. Neither does it surprise me that people would move to one of the most racially diverse cities in the world and demand that it be less racially diverse.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world