Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #2161
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
Yeah I saw someone (not sure who) speak to an event staff about the smoke and it all kicked off from there. Sounds like staff on a power trip.
Why would someone complain to event staff about it anyway? There's nothing *they* can do about that policy that Sherm can't through his access to the club.

That said, use that access to have a serious talk eith the club about the security guard and/or staff going off on a power trip. And don't let their dumb ass ruin it for you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 10:01 PM   #2162
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just saw the highlights. I do not understand why Malongas third goal was called off. Hamilton is onside by a mile from what I can see.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #2163
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

If there was racism though, that needs to be dealt with promptly.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:07 PM   #2164
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
If there was racism though, that needs to be dealt with promptly.
Absolutely. But as far as I know, there wasn't, anywhere. We were being our normal selves, it has more to do with the overreaction to the smoke bomb complaint.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:18 PM   #2165
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope that this isn’t a case of a rent-a-cop overreacting, and then doubling down with the race card to justify the overreaction.

I’ve only been in the 200s once, but have mingled with some of the FS in person at the pub and online. If there was even a hint of racism among their ranks, it wouldn’t be tolerated. Something doesn’t add up about this. The entire group wouldn’t walk out in solidarity with a racist.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #2166
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sincerely hope there is no truth to the claims by security. If there is, I can step aside immediately and this was not what I wanted to start.

Anyways....3-1 win must be nice...

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 11:03 PM   #2167
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I sincerely hope there is no truth to the claims by security. If there is, I can step aside immediately and this was not what I wanted to start.

Anyways....3-1 win must be nice...
3-1 on the scoreboard, 6-1 in our hearts
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 05:06 AM   #2168
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC91 View Post
I wasn't there but based on reading the comments I'm glad 200 made such a bold move. After going to a few games as a non soccer fan the only thing that brought me back was the fun atmosphere that they have created. Great to make a statement early on with this franchise to let the powers in place know that the 200's are what is making this franchise a success.
I’d say it’s a two way street on an early statement to a fan base from the franchise. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #2169
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I am understanding this correctly, Sherm, security said that the FS had been warned previously about racist chants. Yet there was never any communication between the club and the group through the established channels for such a serious charge. I believe that you and Craig are the main communicators, and you also have an official club liaison, is that correct?

Either way, the club needs to clarify this, officially, in writing, and with evidence/witnesses if such a serious accusation is being made. And if no such accusation is being made, then a big apology is in order.

There is a big difference between an allegation of racism and security simply ejecting a drunk. One needs to be dealt with at the highest levels with proper communication and investigation, and the other is a job for part-time security folks.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #2170
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to see their evidence, too, of a racist chant. I have been in that section countless times, and never heard one. Such a chant would not be tolerated for the slightest moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #2171
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1164378566894604288
Old 08-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #2172
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I've been in the Foot Soldiers section countless times now as well, and the worst I've ever heard is the "Big Dick Dominic" chant and that's not even bad - that's just straight up awesome!
Old 08-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #2173
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I've been in the Foot Soldiers section countless times now as well, and the worst I've ever heard is the "Big Dick Dominic" chant and that's not even bad - that's just straight up awesome!
Maybe in 1980
Old 08-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #2174
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Wait a second here. Does one guy getting ejected from a game somehow warrant freaking out like this? It's one guy. If he had too much to drink, or said or did something stupid, that's on him. He leaves the game. Life goes on. Right?
Old 08-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #2175
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Come to think of it, could this chant be the issue?

You know the perceptions around... ummm... endowment and race?

Despite my avatar, I am very white and very average, so it isn't up for me to decide what is racist. Maybe I'm being naive, but the chant exists because of the rhyming, and would be chanted even if Domenic was an Italian or something, right? Or am I missing an undertone here? And isn't the joke that some people say "big kick Domenic" and it sounds like "dick", so people started just saying "dick" as well? Or something to that effect?

Regardless - if this is the chant that triggered it, then it needs to be communicated and clarified by the club directly. Apparently the security wouldn't provide any clarification or information about it last night after the ejection/walkout.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #2176
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Wait a second here. Does one guy getting ejected from a game somehow warrant freaking out like this? It's one guy. If he had too much to drink, or said or did something stupid, that's on him. He leaves the game. Life goes on. Right?
It was one of the main Foot Soldiers leaders, and he apparently was not drunk, not chanting anything racist or offensive, and it was felt that he was unfairly ejected without reason or explanation.

I like the solidarity.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #2177
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post

Despite my avatar, I am very white and very average, so it isn't up for me to decide what is racist. Maybe I'm being naive, but the chant exists because of the rhyming, and would be chanted even if Domenic was an Italian or something, right? Or am I missing an undertone here? And isn't the joke that some people say "big kick Domenic" and it sounds like "dick", so people started just saying "dick" as well? Or something to that effect?

Regardless - if this is the chant that triggered it, then it needs to be communicated and clarified by the club directly. Apparently the security wouldn't provide any clarification or information about it last night after the ejection/walkout.
That chant has been done at multiple games, it shouldn't be an issue.

Come to think of it, I think there may be swearing from various people (not the FS specifically) when the opposing goaltender has possession and clears it forward (there's like a wind-up chant from the crowd, then a release of words).

But even then - nothing remotely racist or discriminatory to my knowledge. I think there's even a Pride flag draped from the FS section during some games, which is great to see as a sign of tolerance and respect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 09:35 AM   #2178
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post

This couldn't have been the chant - that one's been happening for almost the entire season. If security had a problem with it, it would have been dealt with long ago.

As for the leader of the FS, you're right - he wasn't drunk or doing or saying anything malicious. Literally nothing different than any other game. He made a comment about the usage of the smoke bombs, and then he got ejected by what seems like an overzealous security team.

That said, I hope this is cleared up before next game and the FS are back at it 100%. They are half the reason the games are as fun as they are.

If they're not back, then section 109... the time has come for your transition from apprentice to master!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 10:17 AM   #2179
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The point of us walking out in support of the person is to show solidarity with the person who is being kicked out. In my view, it is unacceptable for someone to be kicked out by security for simply complaining about the club lighting smoke after goals while simultaneously kicking people out for doing the same in past games. There are valid reasons why someone would be kicked out, and this is not one of them.

It's a shame this whole event happened, because we should be talking about a dominating performance by Cavalry. Instead we are talking about overzealous security.

On the bright side I have had multiple people from the club offer to chat about the situation this evening. Looking forward to what comes of it. My main concern is that I thought the club and us already had a positive relationship, but security painted a very different picture last night.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #2180
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge