Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #1161
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Right now I'm thinking the bottom pairing ... I think it's more likely a defenseman gets hurt than a goalie, and they're already leaning too much on the top two pairs.

He doesn't trust Kylington, and Valimaki hasn't played in months.
Yup.

With Stone soundling like he will be back at some point, Im almost willing to mortgage my house that it will be a veteran LHD.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #1162
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
If David Rittich were to go down with an injury just before or during the playoffs I would actually be more comfortable in rolling the dice with Mike Smith in net rather than any random backup goalie that would be available for a reasonable price.

Imagine Smith blowing out one or two tight games in 7 games series against a good team. It's not like when he does that during the regular season, the impact on team's morale and chances to advance further would be enormous.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #1163
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wouldn't mind seeing the Flames add Anders Nilsson as an insurance policy. Ottawa will likely want to rid itself of dead salary at the deadline and he's been quite good for them.

He's played for a lot of bad teams for most of his career and has still put up a respectable save%. On a good team that also limits shots, his numbers should theoretically improve. If he comes cheap (late draft pick), he could be a good acquisition just in case Rittich gets injured.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #1164
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Why is Carolina trading McE? They are 3 points out. And Mrazek ain't so special.
If you are making a trade for a goaltender today, you aren't getting one from a team in contention, so it's not a lot of teams
By trade deadline the number of teams will be more, but the number of games a backup will start is less...
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #1165
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I am hearing is we need our goaltenders to start using sleep as a weapon and then everything will be all good.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #1166
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It’s not from this decade, though. Most of the data in that article is gleaned from more than ten years ago. My point stands. Current trends show that goalies going deep in the playoffs are those that play in fewer than 65 regular season games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To me the more important information is what teams go deep.

If you want to talk about goalie play, unless it is Hasek stealing games, you have to lean towards data, not series results. Some kind of data that indicates how a goalie actually plays, not team results. (Seems like the elephant in the room, given that it’s a Mike Smith thread)

Talbot played 73 games one year and played in a couple of rounds. Almost 3. Then he played, what, 67 and wasn’t anywhere near. What did that have to do with Talbot? Not as much as your position implies. It had to do with 19 other guys on the ice.

Look. I know you have an idea, and I know that most people don’t want to change their opinion for no reason.

Guess what? Most goalies play less than 65 games. Not being snide, you could have actually stopped your argument there.

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 02-05-2019 at 09:40 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:42 AM   #1167
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why is Carolina trading McE? They are 3 points out. And Mrazek ain't so special.
McE is just one example, but between now and TDL a small losing streak shifts them towards sellers.

However, it really is just them Columbus, Boston and (lately) Philly for those last 2 spots if we're talking specifically about McE. They have pieces to sell none the less depending on where they think they are. I think if they're shopping Ferland and Dougie then still getting a pick for your expiring backup makes sense
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:43 AM   #1168
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who is that, what does Calgary pay to get him, and why does another team trade him?
Cam Talbot, for not much, because he's on the trade block anyway.

It may need to go through a third party, but Talbot is the perfect backup solution for the Flames right now. He's a guy I like looking at in the off-season anyway... he's a great candidate to be Dubnyk 2.0.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #1169
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

With McE we also have to keep in mind he has to be offered back to teams below Carolina in the standings when he was claimed, before he can be traded to another team
Or something like that.
I find that rule confusing. Even though its been explained many times.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #1170
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
Imagine Smith blowing out one or two tight games in 7 games series against a good team. It's not like when he does that during the regular season, the impact on team's morale and chances to advance further would be enormous.
Great goalies do that too. Fleury, Price, Rask, etc, all have had terrible games.

I don't think I'd put my trust any more in some random backup. You'd need someone like Saros, which Calgary isn't getting.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #1171
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Cam Talbot, for not much, because he's on the trade block anyway.

It may need to go through a third party, but Talbot is the perfect backup solution for the Flames right now. He's a guy I like looking at in the off-season anyway... he's a great candidate to be Dubnyk 2.0.
Like was said in other threads, I doubt anyone offers much and Edmonton may well just decide to go with him for the remainder.

I think he'd be a fine off season pickup though.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #1172
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
With McE we also have to keep in mind he has to be offered back to teams below Carolina in the standings when he was claimed, before he can be traded to another team
Or something like that.
I find that rule confusing. Even though its been explained many times.
Is it not that he has to clear regular waivers before he can be traded?
Old 02-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #1173
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Is it not that he has to clear regular waivers before he can be traded?
I found this. It looks like it explains waivers pretty well

https://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/1...orida-panthers
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #1174
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
Yeah, I could see that happening, and it would suck. But if you ask me, I would still prefer to fall back on someone who has been there before and could use a chance at redemption than a backup who may or may not be a better bet.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #1175
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post

From the article

Quote:
Once a team claims a player from waivers, it may not trade that player unless it first offers him to any other teams who made waiver claims for him. If the claiming team places the player on waivers in the same season and his original team claims him, the team may send the player to the AHL without placing him on waivers again unless he meets the criteria for waiver expiration below.
So only if another team placed a waiver claim on mcelhinney, who the Canes had priority on, does he need to be offered before traded.

Or something
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #1176
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post

Ahh...so the player has to be offered only to those teams that claimed him but didnt get him because someone lower in the standings did.

Interesting.

Quote:
Once a team claims a player from waivers, it may not trade that player unless it first offers him to any other teams who made waiver claims for him. If the claiming team places the player on waivers in the same season and his original team claims him, the team may send the player to the AHL without placing him on waivers again unless he meets the criteria for waiver expiration below
Old 02-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #1177
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

By offer him... I'm assuming that means free?

Wonder who those teams are, and could the Flames not be one of them?
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #1178
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

So just teams below Carolina in the current standings now who tried to claim him last time.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #1179
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
By offer him... I'm assuming that means free?

Wonder who those teams are, and could the Flames not be one of them?
That would be quite the twist if Calgary tried to put a claim on him earlier, but lost out on priority.

If that is the case, and Carolina knows Calgary had a claim, they probably won't waive him unless they want to get rid of the contract. I wonder if waiver claims for players are known to GMs after the fact.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #1180
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
So just teams below Carolina in the current standings now who tried to claim him last time.
No i dont think so.

All teams who put in a claim would be offered him and only then does the point standings come into play as to what the order is.