Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Zamboniman
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default The long five day break: Good or Bad for the Flames?

With the rest of the league notching up 32 games each or whatever it is by now, and the Flames sitting pretty at a lowly 4 games played (lowest in the league), will this hurt or help their chances in the next few weeks?

The good: A chance to learn, regroup, fix any problems noticed in the first few games (Hartley's training camp 2.0). A chance for a few bumps and bruises to heal (or, apparently, a few new ones to crop up). A chance for the new guys to gel with the coaches, team and system.

The bad: Watching everyone else continue to play and get further into game shape. Watching themselves, through no fault of their own, falling behind in the standings. An even more compressed schedule from here on in.

More good or more bad? What's the verdict?
Zamboniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Young-Sneezy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

good for the team, bad for Young-Sneezy.
Young-Sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
Samiz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Fun Fact: For the remainder of the season, the Flames get no longer than a 2 full day break between games, and this happens only 7 times. Also they have 7 occasions when they play on consecutive days.

Crazy schedule. I'm hoping the 4 full day break will help them out. It should be to their advantage to take some extra time getting used to Hartley's system
Samiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If they win tomorrow = good, if they lose = bad
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

It's good for practicing special teams and players getting accustomed to thier line mates. Some team bonding with the new players.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

I think it's good. Hudler and Cervenka get a few more days to adjust and the whole team gets used to the new coaching staff. I think that any rust the Flames show after 4 days off will be negated by playing the next two teams on the second game of the back-to-back anyways.

Plus, I also think that once Iginla starts to score regularly - we won't want any 3 or 4 days breaks. Can't have him losing his mojo.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

If they can have a hot next 10 games (14-15/20 points) it will probably be a good thing. Hot teams who are playing with confidence don't seem to have as much trouble playing every other night. If they struggle, I could see this season snowballing and getting out of hand in a hurry.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 AM   #8
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking good. Iginla mentioned in an interview (on the Flames site) that the new system is "quite different from anything that I've played for a long time" and that there's a lot of new detail to take in.

Basicly, without these few days it might have taken quite a while for Hartley to make the transition from Sutters system to his own happen.

Also, it gives a chance to get two very important forwards in Cervenka and Hudler up to speed.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:19 AM   #9
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should be a good four days off. Like others have said, time to adjust and hammer out some of the finer details with Hartleys system.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:20 AM   #10
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should be very important. Much of the time, teams barely have time to practice this season.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:53 AM   #11
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm

Last edited by flamesfever; 01-31-2013 at 03:52 AM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:59 AM   #12
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Agree with the sentiment that it gives Hartley a training camp, effectively. So many players underachieved the past 3 seasons and breaking old habits is hard. It took Brent a couple of months to, ahem, fix the team.

And selfishly, good for me, being off the mainland for the week.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:53 AM   #13
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

A little too much of a good thing, IMO. You want a chance to settle into new lines (and positions in some cases), and the new way of doing things with the new coach. But practices are going o be hard to come by this season, and it's probably not so great to get your entire season's worth between games 3 and 5, and then just grind out the rest of the season.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 AM   #14
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

this avs game is a game that a half decent team needs to win, and i'm not clear if the flames fit this description just yet.

Facing a team without arguably it's top line (landeskog, o'rielly, downie), team playing back to back, and a team that's lost 2 in a row, plus the fact the flames have been off for forever, tons of time to practice, flames neeed to win.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
calgary2220
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Probably would have been better to have this break about 20 games in, not 4.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 AM   #16
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bad. After missing the first half of the season and most of training camp, the last thing they needed was a break. Other teams now have a step up in both chemistry and getting into game shape.

I know they were practicing during this time, but nothing whips into shape faster than actually playing. Plus, it's just more time for Iginla to get going.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 AM   #17
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good. A chance to reinforce system in a mini-camp. Team had a few games to try it out, and now have the chance to work on things after having experienced mistakes in games.

For a team with a new coach, this is just what the Dr ordered.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If this was a regular season, I would say a prolonged break is a bad thing. But let's keep in mind we're early in a short, condensed season where teams had shortened training camps. A long break like this is a good chance to work on some stuff that may not have received enough practice time. Plus, a break when everyone is playing pretty much every second night should mean the Flames have some fresh legs. Let's just hope they didn't lose their edge.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #19
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
A little too much of a good thing, IMO. You want a chance to settle into new lines (and positions in some cases), and the new way of doing things with the new coach. But practices are going o be hard to come by this season, and it's probably not so great to get your entire season's worth between games 3 and 5, and then just grind out the rest of the season.
I couldn't disagree more. They didn't have a training camp, many new guys with a new coach. This is perfect opportunity to fine tune in practice. Get more of a read on the competition, understand our system and have more success as a group because of being together on the ice for a longer time than most other teams.
foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #20
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think it sucks because you want to be rested going down the stretch. Calgary played a good game vs Vancouver and by all accounts a good one against the oilers. A few players started to get into a groove then boom off for four days.

They don't need any rest right now after a mere 4 games. Hopefully Hartley kept the practices intense.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote