Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-02-2021, 05:49 PM   #741
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Oh sorry, definitely didn't take it as a subtle brag, it was more of a "whoa, what am I doing wrong here!?" moment for me, lol.

Quote:
It might be 8-930am, 1130-12, 3-4, 9-10pm. Rinse repeat. Might include weekend time and stats.
Yeah, that is way less than ideal for part time. The whole situation sounds kind of crappy to be honest. But like you said, do what you have to do in the interim until the right fit comes along. And it will.

Last edited by jayswin; 04-02-2021 at 05:58 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:41 PM   #742
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Oh sorry, definitely didn't take it as a subtle brag, it was more of a "whoa, what am I doing wrong here!?" moment for me, lol.

Yeah, that is way less than ideal for part time. The whole situation sounds kind of crappy to be honest. But like you said, do what you have to do in the interim until the right fit comes along. And it will.
Without knowing you, your situation, your employer or business I can’t really say much. Generally education helps BUT to be “successful” means different things to different people. It does not always mean having some university degree. It helps but so does having other skills like being a technologist, a solid trades person, or relevant computer related skills to name a few.

To make more money typically entails learning to make better business decisions, adding value in several ways, providing leadership and guidance to others, and most of all have both decent people and communication skills. Networking with the RIGHT people (ie intended target group) is huge too. Lastly it includes a combination of strategic job or location moves and maybe some risks too.

I’m sure others can offer additional guidance.

As for your last point... I appreciate the empathy. I see this crappy situation as interim until I have more time there and will then limit my availability. I gotta get this bully to settle down so either he will or I’ll be out. Hopefully if it goes well then I’ll restrict my availability to a set time period only, and then hopefully start winning more work so I can do more too. If I can raise the organization up and kick @r$e then my value increases quickly along with compensation. That said I’m still keeping my eyes open for networking and other opportunities.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2021, 08:01 PM   #743
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Assistant brewer job

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:59 AM   #744
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Made it to last 2-3 standing for a FT contract role with a larger organization. Wasn't the one chosen at the end. Was super super bummed out yesterday morning. Gutted actually. Back to the drawing board as it were.... got 5 more resumes out last night. Still slogging away at the part-time role that has more stress than most FT gigs I've ever had, so at least have some income slowly trickling in (net 45 days... in other words only 45 days after I submit my invoice do I see a cheque... they don't even do direct deposit).
Old 04-08-2021, 09:00 AM   #745
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
I could do Assistant Drinker job? (might be a few applicants for that though)
Old 04-08-2021, 09:05 AM   #746
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Are you dealing with the rock quarry from the Flinstones.

I've been lucky with my clients, with one I get paid within 5 days, the other within 15.

Sorry its tough for you, the good news is you clearly have a decent value proposition if you got into the top 2 or 3, did they give you a reason why they went with the other?

I know it sound cliched, but keep following the process, its tough sending out resumes and pinging your networks day after day, and these are unusual and stupid times, but you'll get a break.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 10:18 AM   #747
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Are you dealing with the rock quarry from the Flinstones.

I've been lucky with my clients, with one I get paid within 5 days, the other within 15.

Sorry its tough for you, the good news is you clearly have a decent value proposition if you got into the top 2 or 3, did they give you a reason why they went with the other?

I know it sound cliched, but keep following the process, its tough sending out resumes and pinging your networks day after day, and these are unusual and stupid times, but you'll get a break.
The organization I'm part-timing with has to rely upon client payments. Having recently looked at their payment terms they're generally quite dismal and are contingent upon milestone events rather than time based (ie monthly invoicing). As a result those working for them suffer too. Rock quarry indeed!! I'll be trying to get them to understand this isn't good business practice.

I'm trying to get a follow-up but many places just want to cut you loose after the PFO note. I like to follow up to learn and also to expand my network. It's what I call the "long game approach".
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 11:20 AM   #748
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a question about EI I hope one of you can answer.
I hold multiple contract jobs - My more lucrative contract is ending and won't be renewed, but I still have another contract that should last another 3/4 years, but it is much less work/money.

Am I hoping to collect a little EI to cover my bills while I look for another contract. Am I eligible, despite having some work/ being contracts I knew would end?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #749
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Is it pure contract where you're submitting Tax CPP etc? Or is it like an agency contract where they're paying you like a contract employee?

If its pure contract and someone correct me if I'm wrong, and you haven't paid into EI, you're not eligible.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:07 PM   #750
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Anyone looking for a flexible part time job that doesn't involve delivering food or persuading people into a MLM company?

Stats Canada is still looking for Enumerators for its 2021 Census

https://census.gc.ca/jobs-emplois-eng.htm

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:31 AM   #751
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Well, Unemployed again. Apparently I'm "not a good fit".

I can't do much more of this unemployment. 3rd time in 3.5 years. Exhausting.

I want to get off this ride where companies don't show loyalty to employees. But it never impossible to do something on my own without capital, and I can't have capital when any savings I have is eaten up by having to repeatedly provide for my family on zero incomes.

Sigh.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:49 PM   #752
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm really sorry to hear that, that's a tough break for you.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:39 PM   #753
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So, after a very long time (where it got to the point where I felt almost unemployable) I finally had a up week.

Had a phone interview that has lead to a zoom interview next week.

Had a zoom interview (scheduled the day the interviewer looked at my LinkedIn page). She was looking to hire really fast, said I would hear back either way in 2 days. It's been 4. Not expecting much from what was a 20 minute interview for a short term contract.

And, this may seem like a downer, but I received a direct response from an HR person who answered a couple of my questions as to why I was not considered for a position. The reason was sound - I'm tops in one area, but I have no experience in a current context.

I had an interview with a company where I had a contact who knew the CEO (best friend's sister's mother-in-law). That connection got me the interview, which I was told put me in the top 8, but, alas, did not make the top 3. I received a nice personal response from the HR director noting my solid CV and experience (just not for this particular job) and was assured they would keep me top of mind if a better fit position comes up.

3 interviews; 2 personal email contacts; now if I could only land the 1 job.

I was getting quite depressed over those winter months (hence no posting here) and really worried what I was going to do.

Perseverance - that is the key.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2021, 07:59 PM   #754
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
So, after a very long time (where it got to the point where I felt almost unemployable) I finally had a up week.

Had a zoom interview (scheduled the day the interviewer looked at my LinkedIn page). She was looking to hire really fast, said I would hear back either way in 2 days. It's been 4. Not expecting much from what was a 20 minute interview for a short term contract.

And, this may seem like a downer, but I received a direct response from an HR person who answered a couple of my questions as to why I was not considered for a position. The reason was sound - I'm tops in one area, but I have no experience in a current context.

I had an interview with a company where I had a contact who knew the CEO (best friend's sister's mother-in-law). That connection got me the interview, which I was told put me in the top 8, but, alas, did not make the top 3. I received a nice personal response from the HR director noting my solid CV and experience (just not for this particular job) and was assured they would keep me top of mind if a better fit position comes up.

I was getting quite depressed over those winter months (hence no posting here) and really worried what I was going to do.

If you're not already doing it, try to stay in touch with the folks you felt you got along with. Build that network and make it a relationship. Figure out what you can do to add to the conversation and/or to make it personal/helpful to them.

Keep persevering... and keep reaching out to the network as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2021, 08:30 PM   #755
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Helped a friend pack up his life, and move to Lethbridge. He was unemployed for a year, and took a job there. So sadly or not, in this economy, the option of leaving a situation that you're comfortable with has to be on the table.

If you're the best person for the job, and the job fits you and its in tuktoyukchuk, be open to it.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:16 PM   #756
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Helped a friend pack up his life, and move to Lethbridge. He was unemployed for a year, and took a job there. So sadly or not, in this economy, the option of leaving a situation that you're comfortable with has to be on the table.

If you're the best person for the job, and the job fits you and its in tuktoyukchuk, be open to it.
That's the advice I've given to new graduates for years.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:56 AM   #757
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I don't like reading people getting down on themselves. Reading your post I can 100% say you're employable. The market in Calgary is terrible it's not you.

If I was in Calgary I know I'd be on my 16month of unemployment.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:16 AM   #758
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If you don’t mind me asking, what sort of field are you looking in?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:31 AM   #759
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

How many employers offering a re-location allowance? I've seen positions on Indeed for example with questionnaires including if you need a relocation assistance. So that probably disqualifies you for the position right away. Some people or even most can't afford to move at this point cause they've been out of work for so long.

Last edited by Macman; 05-01-2021 at 10:43 PM.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #760
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its a great question to explore. But for the most part, I've seen relocation allowances that range from expenses submitted, right to a fixed sum.

For example my friend got a fixed sum.